Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb wireless Waterford

• 15-11-2004 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Does anyone know where in Waterford digiweb transmitter-basestation is located?
    Is Bridge street (Mary street) too far from it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

The Waterford transmitter is on the Water Tower near the resevoir near Grange Upper.

You are only around 2.5kms from the site - LOS might not be good though. Put in an order online at www.digiweb.ie and let an engineer call out for a LOS test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 beny

thanks Chaz
    I carried out research myself and unfortunately there is definitely no LOS from my place to that tower. Bridge street is lower then surrounding areas and all ballibricken area obstructs the view as it is on higher elevation.

They should have base their service on technology that dosent require LOS like Irish-Broadband in Dublin.
    I dont understand why they have started service using obsolete technology. In that case they eliminate at least 50% of potential customers in hilly town as Waterford is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

All current wireless standards require line of sight, some are just more forgiving with interference/reflected signals/etc/etc than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

As Moriarty said.

There are more sites plans, details of which I cannot give in public. I am in Waterford tomorrow - might just pop in your area and see which of the possible sites might work.

OK, I might be wrong... but you must admit that IBB Ripwave product is simpler and handier at least it dosent require engineers visits, mast erection etc etc... self install option is just great (not to mention price and t&c -contract)

From my place it seems that location at Jury’s hotel would work. It overlooks all Waterford city (at least centre)

And just a general remark -why in this country it is so difficult to get broadband? Despite living in considerably large city (city centre) I have 2 options of getting BB:
    1. DSL -eircoms phone line (set-up €125, monthly rental €25 witch I dont need) plus on top of that BB rental plus that downloading cup (eircoms 4GB- IS RIDICULOUS!!!) I was told by eircoms rep that they can connect me but they DONT guaranty that the line will pass the test!!!! exchange is DSL enabled!!! -so throw away 125 euro if you wish
    2. Wireless -no LOS- I live on top 3rd floor in apartment

There are hundreds of ppl like me living in rented apartments. Why that newly built apartments have not been networked? Build simple LAN hire it out to any internet provider and have your cut from it.

Sorry lads about those words but as a foreigner coming from abroad that celtic tiger has his claws a bit blunt considering its IT roots. Im bit frustrated after hunting for BB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

LOS tech isnt out of date, the fastest solutions are only available with los type gear. N(ear)LOS gear has the whole convenience factor, but unfortunatly doesnt always work (read this forum) as advertised.

Which flats are you in, the newish ones near the tax offices on the same side of the road but a bit lower down the hill? We've got one or two people in the vicinity connected to our service, however I'm not sure what you'd see from down where I think you are.

bkehoe wrote:
    Which flats are you in, the newish ones near the tax offices on the same side of the road but a bit lower down the hill? We've got one or two people in the vicinity connected to our service, however I'm not sure what you'd see from down where I think you are.

Actually Im in flat at Mary st opposite to church down the bridge st. It is qiute low(even from top 3rd floor) Looking towards John hill I see top floors of that building you are talking about(aprox 60-80m away from my windows) and further is hill (ballybricken area) I'd say that building would obstruct the LOS most. And I belive that there is no problems from there but dont think it will work from my place unless the antenna would be on the roof -might be problem with getting a consent -you know, I dont realy know who can I approach to in order to get that consent
    But thanks anyway...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sorry if I am going slightly of track here, but I am in Waterford city and I signed up online for digiweb's wireless service on the 15/10/2004(ref #wir24050) and as of yet I have still not been installed. I have been on to the guys and girls on a daily basis to find out what the delay is. I have been informed that they are having problems with getting their equipment in to the country.
    Really what I was wondering is if there is any one that has actually been installed here in waterford in the last six weeks or so. Also if Chaz may be able to give an update if he possibly could on when digiweb expect to start installs. I am due to finish my contract with iol anytime on Dec 1st and would like to know if I would be up and running by then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

beny wrote:
    There are hundreds of ppl like me living in rented apartments. Why that newly built apartments have not been networked? Build simple LAN hire it out to any internet provider and have your cut from it.

The big apartment block in Poleberry has a internal network and has had dsl access for over a year now (I should know I used to live there) granted its only 512K and its shared but in the end its free net access :D
    Not that many people seem to actually connect to it in practice..

Just an update on my situation. Got a call from digiweb on Thursday afternoon, was told that the equipment was now in Ireland and that installs in Waterford city would comence on Monday. I was told I should be done by wed or thurs.

Here's looking for to next week

• Advertisement

Leonard wrote:
    Just an update on my situation. Got a call from digiweb on Thursday afternoon, was told that the equipment was now in Ireland and that installs in Waterford city would comence on Monday. I was told I should be done by wed or thurs.

Here's looking for to next week

lucky you, I was told that chances of me getting connected before Christmas are not guaranteed.
    PS
    drop us a line when U get on-line....

I am now online using Digiweb wireless. The guy called this evening at 4pm and was gone at 5.30pm

Happy Days

Advertisement