Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing fireplace and surround

Options
  • 15-11-2004 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just removed old gray brick fireplace surround ( :( ) and back bioler, fitted new back burner. However the area where the bricks were is now exposed blockwork. Q: Should I fit new fireplace, surround and hearth first and then plaster exposed blockwork (around new surround) or should I plaster all exposed blockwork flush with existing finish further up chimney breast, and then install the new surround (and fireplace/hearth) :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Seaplane wrote:
    Just removed old gray brick fireplace surround ( :( ) and back bioler, fitted new back burner. However the area where the bricks were is now exposed blockwork. Q: Should I fit new fireplace, surround and hearth first and then plaster exposed blockwork (around new surround) or should I plaster all exposed blockwork flush with existing finish further up chimney breast, and then install the new surround (and fireplace/hearth) :confused:
    Surround - last

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Unlike the 'professionals' who are in and out in a few hours. You have the time to do a cleaner neater job. As Lex said, do all the plastering first and fit the Surround last. Unless you are very good at plastering you will be left with a small gap between the wall and surround when fitted. This can be easily filled with 'Decorators Caulk' before painting/papering the wall.

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Seaplane wrote:

Agree with the lads....plaster first. Then cut out for sorround brackets. After fitting surround any big gaps and bracket can be covered with plaster. Consider the following if you're not naturally gifted.Depending on size and shape of work area , two or three laths of wood or flat beading directly on to brickwork surrounding the work area , wood to be level with existing plaster and use Bonding plaster ( not top coat, Bonding always looks "pimply") and use a straight edge lath. This will give you a very even finish, but not smooth. This much is childs play. After surround is fitted use finish ("hardwall" or "gyplite") plaster on anywhere that can be seen. You'll find it much easier as you are already working of a fairly even surface.

Advertisement