Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morocco

• 15-11-2004 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Has anyone gone on a holiday to Morocco?

I have been looking at the Sunway brochure and it looks great. I could get 1 week for all inclusive for €1,500 and its a 4 Star accomodation.

Its either Morocco or Gran Canaria regarding flights from Shannon but Morocco looks exotic and of course something different from your run of the mill sun holidays.

Would love to hear from any of you who have visited and enjoyed their stay.

Angeleyes :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭SPACE COWBOY

Yeah I’d also love to hear from anybody with info or experiences of Morocco.
    Mainly backpacking and interrailing info.
    Some people must have made it that far since it’s covered in zone F?
    http://www.interrail.com/ireland/zoneF.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I dont mean to put you off or anything but some friends of mine (a couple) were over to Morocco about 3 years ago and they hated it.

They could only get drink (alcoholic) in their hotel and whenever they went out my mates girlfriend had to cover her skin up completely - something to do with the religion over there I think.

That was a few years ago - maybe things have changed since then.

Anyone else want to voice their opinion??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I am hoping to book through Sunway travel and am looking at an all inclusive package. I know it can be limiting as to the other places you can visit, but really its down to laziness etc. We just want a chill out week and was wondering what Morocco was like as a relaxing sun holiday.

angeleyes :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Haven't been myself, but my sister went there twice she liked it SO much!
    What I've seen in the photos, it looks CLASS, Marakesh especially.

Am definately going to go there sometime. She also went to Tunisia which was good too. V. cheap. [ Morocco as well]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.420hash.com/moraccanslatehash.html

haven't been, but this gets my vote of approval!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Hi, short-time poster, long-time lurker.

I was in Morocco last summer for a week whilst inter-railing.

If you are looking for somewhere to relax in the sun then I'd probably recommend somewhere else. If you're looking for a cultural experience then definitely go visit.

Being a muslim country don't expect to find clubs, pubs and wine in every restaurant. It depends on where you are staying. We were travelling Europe on a shoe-string so tended to stay in the Medinas (the older parts of the city).

If you are planning on travelling around and seeing the sights then I'd thoroughly recommend going. We went to Tangier, Fes, Meknes, Marrakech and Casabalanca. We also stayed in a very small village in the Rif Mountains (where a large proportion of the world's hashish is grown) - that was a colourful experience :)

At first the hassling from vendors, carpet sellers and taxi drivers was pretty daunting but you soon get used to saying a firm "NO".

It's a beautiful country and a fantastic cultural experience. Be warned - it gets incredibly hot the closer you get to the Saharra!

Anyway - that's my 2 cents. Back to lurking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

Went with sunway to Morocco about 4 years ago with herself. One week in Agadir and one in Marakech.
    Morocco is an amazing place, I would love to /will eventually go back but on more of an exploration holiday. Very reasonable when you get there, food is spectacular although be prepared for some sort of dehli-belly at some stage.

Agadir is grand for a week, its a modern seaside town with all the old mosks souks etc, but its Marakech that really is fantastic, althought I wouldn't spend more than a week there - the markets are amazing, the people much friendlier than the touristy Agadir. DOn't go to Marakech first, the heat is unreal because its through the mountains and deserts, go somewhere on the coast for the first week to get used to the temp (marakech was 45C when we were there!)

A coupla of things to remember though:

1: Do not buy anthing in Agadir if you are going to marakech, you will get far better value for money and workmanship and selection.

2: No matter how nice they are, and how good a sales pitch they give( oh great deal, we're only here for one day etc ) don't buy unless you want to, they will not be offended , its thier way. Having a cup of mint tea with them does not obligate you to buy, again it is just tradition (and delicious!)

3: If you smoke,(you know what I mean) and you are trying to get some for when over there, be careful of who you buy it from. Do not buy near your hotel as all the 'heads' are well known. It will be offered for sale every 100m so take your time and be choosy.

4: LA SIUCRA ( as in sugar AS Gaeilge) means 'no Thanks' probably the best two words to give you.

5: ALWAYS HAGGLE! It is part of their culture, and can be great fun, especially if you have reasonable French.

Man, now I want to go back, you got room for one average sized person in you suitcase ;-)

M.

Advertisement