Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance

• 15-11-2004 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Jesus Christ, have a gander at this. If it wasn't so stupid, I'd be crying laughing.

I applied for my driving test before last Xmas, they never sent me a receipt for the application, so I couldn't apply for my third provisional licence. Yeah, I know, I should have badgered them about it, I didn't, so that part is my fault. I haven't driven now in over a year.

I got a letter last Friday telling me I have my test on the 17th December, a year after applying, that, however is a seperate issue.

Anyway, now that I have my letter, I can apply for my third provisional licence, and get on the insurance for my dad's car.

The policy runs out in July. I will be 25 on Friday.

The insurance gave the following quotes to my dad today.

To insure me on the policy today, until the end of it would cost €2,684, with a provisional licence.

To insure me on the current policy for 30 days will cost €77.52 ( say 30 days = one month, and there are 8 months left on the policy, that comes to €620.16, so I'd save two grand by just getting 8 30 day chunks of insurance!! ).

Lets say I passed my test today, I'd still be 24, the insurance company gave a quote of €2,005.

If I pass my test on Dec 17th, when I will be 25, they quoted €266.

I won't name the company.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

there is a motoring forum.

Also you may find that you can't renew the insurance with out a month passing. That was the case with my insurance at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

uberwolf wrote:
    there is a motoring forum.
    Didn't realise.

Sorry about this Mods, can you move ir if it needs to be moved.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

seansouth wrote:
    To insure me on the current policy for 30 days will cost €77.52 ( say 30 days = one month, and there are 8 months left on the policy, that comes to €620.16, so I'd save two grand by just getting 8 30 day chunks of insurance!! ).

Not necessarily. AFAIK, you can only take 4 chunks of 30 days a year. Thats the way it was for me last year anyways.

As for ridiculous. I started driving at 24. I paid €1300 for named insurance on my mothers policy. I turened 25 since, and passed my driving test. Same policy plummeted to €130 (or 120).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Does having a full licence make the prices drop hugely? Or does it make a difference so long as it's your first time driving it'll be huge?

(I'm 18 btw and got quoted 2.5grand for named insurance on my mam's car)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

na you just get screwed when you are starting.

started driving my own 1.4 lt car with full licence when i was 23 had to pay €3500 for third party,fire & theft with class 2 business cover, now 25 and paying €1500 for fully comp and class 2, pain in the swiss but heading in the right direction. :rolleyes:

I was never a named driver on anyones policy before. I waited till I had a full licence and my own car............ thats the way it should be :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

SteveD wrote:
    Does having a full licence make the prices drop hugely? Or does it make a difference so long as it's your first time driving it'll be huge?

Being over 25 and full license makes a huge difference. A buddy of mine is 22, driving for 5 yrs, fully licenced for 4, no claims for 2, is still paying €1700 for 3rd party fire and theft.

I am on 1st insurance, 25 and full license, driving only since May last year, and am paying €970 for fully comp!.

Bullsh*t eh!?!

Advertisement