Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compaq Presario upgrade help

Options
  • 15-11-2004 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi, Does anybody know of potential problems with changing a Compaq m/board as regards to compatibility with PSU/Processor/Memory. the board in it is an nForce Skt A with 1700 athlon and 2100 ddr memory. I am considering a MSI K7N2G-L board. The present setup performs very poorly even after a clean install of XP .I`d appreciate any help with this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

performs poorly how? if its games the bottleneck might be your video card

I'd imagine a new board should help things along, you need to check afew things (either on presario documentation or through their website)

make sure the memory you have will be compatible with the board you are buying

if you want increased gaming performance you proobably need a new video card

as long its standard ATX format you should be ok

list the specs of the machine for us - all can be found either in the BIOS or through device manager - include things like memory type/speed and we can give a better answer on whether the upgrade will work

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

Generally poor, opening progs. folders, etc, general windows stuff. It`s a friend`s pc so I don`t have detailed spec, yet. I`ll check it out tho. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

compaq website offers a product info page if you have the product name/number

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHomeC?lc=en&cc=us

a quick browse yielded little - you need the model type to get any info

Advertisement