Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Croatia

• 15-11-2004 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Well with the current squad who should play tomorrow? With the weekend pullouts, here is the revised squad:

Goalkeepers:
    Shay Given, Nick Colgan, Paddy Kenny

Defenders:
    Alan Maybury, Steve Finnan, John O'Shea, Kenny Cunningham, Gary Doherty, Richard Dunne, Gary Breen,

Midfielders:
    Kevin Kilbane, Liam Miller, Graham Kavanagh, Alan Quinn, Graham Barrett, Aiden McGeady, Damien Duff

Forwards:
    Alan Lee, Stephen Elliott, Robbie Keane, Jonathan Macken

Kerr confirmed that Dunne and Finnan will start and Miller will start in the centre.

I'd go with this team:

Kenny
    Finnan-Cunningham-Dunne-O'Shea
    McGeady-Miller-Kavanagh-Duffer
    Elliott-Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Kenny
    McGeady-Miller-Kavanagh-Duffer
    Elliott-Keane

Yeah agree with that pretty much. Only other options I would consider would be Kilbane for Duff. No need for Duff to play a big part in this game now that he is playing regularly for Chelsea.

I hope Robbie Keane starts, he needs a bit of practise up front. It would be good to see him and Elliott work up some form of partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

much the same, except for Kilbane to start in the centre but kavanagh has shown that he is more than capable.

Kenny
    McGeady-Miller-Kilbane-Duffer
    Elliott-Keane

No need for Duff to play a big part in this game now that he is playing regularly for Chelsea.

What do you mean ? He should be rested for Chelski ?
    I hope Robbie Keane starts, he needs a bit of practise up front.

Robbie always starts and is getting regular first team football at spurs. Granted he does need practice : P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

why is keano out?

keno is rested. Kerr didnt call him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

PHB wrote:
    why is keano out?

Cause Keano doesnt do friendlies.......i think Kerr feels he needs a rest. And i think Fergie had a word with Keane and Kerr about this friendly.

I think the team eireboy picked is the one i'd go for but maybe be Kilbane in for Kav but i dont mind who kerr picks in the the middle.

Glad Dunne is getting a start, he is doing really well for City at the moment and i'm going to put him down for first goal scorer. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Kenny

----Finnan
    Cunningham
    Dunne
    Maybury----

McGeady
    Kavanagh
    Kilbane
    Quinn----

Keane

Elliott

and I would definetly like to see Barret introduced at some stage .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Ears, Miller will start in the middle.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Big Ears, Miller will start in the middle.

well this is a who should play and not a who will play thread , and because I think Miller will be limited in the amount of football he will play this season I would rather someone else there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

id go with Eirebhoy on this one, Im looking forward to seeing Miller play, all his game lacks right now for me is confidence. I dont think hes taken to Man U to well and he might be a bit star struck with the Premiership. I think hes going to be a fantastic player for us in the future.

What do you mean ? He should be rested for Chelski ?
    No not at all, just that he shouldnt have to play a full 90 minutes for Ireland against Croatia. He has nothing to prove, and has been playing 2 games a week for about 6 weeks now. Give him a bit of a rest, and give the other lads a go.

Robbie always starts and is getting regular first team football at spurs. Granted he does need practice : P
    While Robbie was starting a lot he was also playing in midfield a good bit under Santini. He only scored his first league goal for Spurs last week I think, and its November.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    well this is a who should play and not a who will play thread , and because I think Miller will be limited in the amount of football he will play this season I would rather someone else there .
    If he is limited in his amount of football surely a good chance for him to get a full game no? And in all fairness he has played a good bit for United, and Id rather get a player who has been in and out at United getting a run than someone who hasnt even played in all of Coventrys league games.

If he is limited in his amount of football surely a good chance for him to get a full game no? And in all fairness he has played a good bit for United, and Id rather get a player who has been in and out at United getting a run than someone who hasnt even played in all of Coventrys league games.

Im thinking ahead to the qualifyiers , and what should we do say some of our top players are out . I would much rather have Kilbane and Kavanagh playing if Keane gets injured than Miller + either of those (most likely Kilbane) .

McGeady fits out on the wings naturally(I am aware McGeady best position is a scholes like role) Miller dosen't and I feel now that McGeady seems to be getting reguler football he should be given his chance .

Miller will become a great player for Ireland , however I feel the next qualifying campaign will be his time as he will most likely have forced himself into Uniteds central midfield by then and will be a much better player .

Big Ears wrote:
    Im thinking ahead to the qualifyiers , and what should we do say some of our top players are out . I would much rather have Kilbane and Kavanagh playing if Keane gets injured than Miller + either of those (most likely Kilbane) .

McGeady fits out on the wings naturally(I am aware McGeady best position is a scholes like role) Miller dosen't and I feel now that McGeady seems to be getting reguler football he should be given his chance .

Miller will become a great player for Ireland , however I feel the next qualifying campaign will be his time as he will most likely have forced himself into Uniteds central midfield by then and will be a much better player .
    Miller could have a vital role in the qualifiers if we are chasing a game, he can open up defences. From what I have seen his best position is in the centre. Give him a run there. We know what Kavanagh and Kilbane can do, we dont when it comes to Miller.

on a side note. Is RTE going to show this friendly live ? I know TV3 have delayed coverate at 10pm.

Miller could have a vital role in the qualifiers if we are chasing a game, he can open up defences. From what I have seen his best position is in the centre. Give him a run there. We know what Kavanagh and Kilbane can do, we dont when it comes to Miller.

I think what we saw what Miller can do in the CL last year(and the SPL) but unfortunatly he's yet to have one game for United (or Ireland) like those and although his performances are gradually improving , I just can't see him setting the world alight against Croatia and what we can expect is what we've got from him in previous games for Ireland: a whole lot of averageness mixed with decent/good .

Big Ears wrote:
    I think what we saw what Miller can do in the CL last year(and the SPL) but unfortunatly he's yet to have one game for United (or Ireland) like those and although his performances are gradually improving , I just can't see him setting the world alight against Croatia and what we can expect is what we've got from him in previous games for Ireland: a whole lot of averageness mixed with decent/good .
    Well starting him on the bench isnt going to let him do anything. Start him, see him, decide then, not think that is a better idea? Croatia will be a decent test, a good side, but by no means a world beater.

on a side note. Is RTE going to show this friendly live ? I know TV3 have delayed coverate at 10pm.
    Nah its on Sky.

and Id rather get a player who has been in and out at United getting a run than someone who hasnt even played in all of Coventrys league games.
    Barrett actually has played in every game he's been available for. He was injured for a while but came back and scored last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Glad to see Kerr is experiementing in midfield. However, at the back I'm not happy to see our old friend the honey monster back after a year of doing very well without him.

Dunne is crap and no amount of replays of Man City (more or less) using 6 at the back v United is going to hide that. He isn't a leader, can't organise a defence and for every flash in the pan game he has there's another two bad ones not too far behind.

Pigman, I could say the exact same about Andy O'Brien. Dunne isn't a leader but O'Brien certainly isn't and Cunningham has all the leadership and organisation skills we need. Dunne was voted second to Shaun Wright-Phillips last season for Man City fans' player of the year. That is impressive since Anelka scored 25 goals last season. Kerr also feels he has improved a lot this season.

I think he's a better individual player than O'Brien but I'm not going to seperate an O'Brien-Cunningham partnership which has conceded just 1 in 7 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Over the last 2 months or so, there is no doubt (in my mind anyway :p ) that Dunne is outperforming O'Brien in the premiership. However, O'Brien has been very good in recent games for Ireland, so I think the position in the Irish defence is still his to lose. But its good that Dunne is given a game.

I do think that Dunne and O'Brien together would be a poor partnership, as neither of them appear to ever open their mouth - a bit like when Brown and Silvestre play together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Going on current form Dunne is well ahead of O'Brien, that could change in the future but at the moment Dunne is ahead.

I hope Kerr picks his team on current form in the future and NOT on past performances for Ireland only, as McCarthy used to do.

edited because I typed it in such a hurry I left the NOT out :rolleyes:

Personally I don't care how good/bad a player performs for his club as along as he's doing the well for us. In O'Briens short tenure as a CB for us he has nearly always done the business (1 in 7 as eirebhoy points out). Dunne on the other hand for the last 4 years donning the green usually ends up doing a faily decent impression of an elephant wearing rollerskates whilst trying to cross the frozen river Volga after taking a tranquilizer dart in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

One poisition Im not worried about is CB......>Dunne and O'Brien have always played well for Ireland......O'Brien in the last few games since he established himself and before that Dunne was the best CB we had....remember the Dutch game??? he was great

More worried about forward....Morrison is back now but really needs to get the finger out! seen this morning he has a bet with Bruce that he will be top scorer this season for Brum.....hopefully this will happen!! would like to see Eliott get his chance because I dont rate Lee as good enought!! with the Robbie Master up top as well hopefully there is a partner good enough and have Eliott/Morrison on bench!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kerr just announced the starting squad which is as follows......

Kenny

Finnan---Breen----Dunne
    O'Shea

Duff
    Miller
    Kavanagh--Kilbane

Elliott
    Keane

I might be wrong about Dunne playing ahead of Cunnigham but I'm 100%^ sure about the rest of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

yes been looking forward to seeing elliot play for ireland hopefuly he will get 90 mins and be on the score sheet

BaZmO* wrote:
    Kerr just announced the starting squad which is as follows......

Kenny

Finnan---Breen----Dunne
    O'Shea

Duff
    Miller
    Kavanagh--Kilbane

Elliott
    Keane
    I'm very happy with that back 5. Cunningham does need a rest and Breen is the only other No.1 centre half in the squad. I think the midfield and forward line will probably look more like this though:

Miller----Kavanagh---Kilbane
    Duffer
    ----Elliott
    Keane

All the papers say Kerr confirmed Miller will start in the centre which is why I think it will be that. If the papers are wrong Miller on the right and Duff on the left.

BTW, from what I seen of Elliott I'm nearly certain he's a left footer. Who was the last left footed striker to play for Ireland? Can't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Stephen Elliot is indeed a left footer. Anybody who fancies a good laugh, head down to the Sunnybank in Glasnevin. His whole family and a good amount of his mates will be down there tonight watchin the game, me included, if ya cant work out who I am, Ill buy ya a pint.

(Im fairly sure I wont have to actually honor that promise, thats why Im giving no appearance details!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Unfortunately it is a bit difficult for me to get down to the Sunnybank although I will be watching in my house. Hopefully, Kerr will bring McGeady on at some stage during the game.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    . If the papers are wrong Miller on the right and Duff on the left.

Nah I reckon he'll have Duff on the right as that's were he has been playing with Chelsea and he'll have Kilbane on the left like D' olden days!!!

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Nah I reckon he'll have Duff on the right as that's were he has been playing with Chelsea and he'll have Kilbane on the left like D' olden days!!!

B.
    Just to make that clearer. The papers all say Miller will start in the middle. If they are wrong and he doesn't start in the middle he'll be on the right and Duff on the left. :)

BTW, Duff has actually been playing up front for Chelsea. He is on the right side of the front two though with Gudjonsen on the left as its obviously easier to score with the inside of your foot.

should it not be : -
    Kenny

Finnan---Breen----Dunne
    O'Shea

Miller
    Kavanagh--Kilbane
    Duff

Elliott
    Keane

Im good that Kavanagh is starting. He is a real pro and is doing a great job for us.

I hope Elliott scores just to put pressure on Robbie and Clinton. If he plays well I would even consider dropping Robbie for a match to see how he reacts afterwards.

I cant see O Shea being in too much trouble at LB but I thought he would be playing in the centre.

Hopefully miller can show what he can do. I think he has real potential and hopefully this will be his night. Is he starting in the middle :S I would have Kilbane/Kavanagh there but I guess tonight is more for the players coming through.

should it not be....
    They most likely will line out like that but I'd like to see us try out a new formation for once. Getting bored with 4-4-2. :)
    I cant see O Shea being in too much trouble at LB but I thought he would be playing in the centre.
    No chance, I can think of better Irish central midfielders that didn't even get called up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

O'Shea is hopeless. Absolutely hopeless.

looks like its 4-3-3 :) great to see a change. I think it should work well.

• Advertisement

looks like its 4-3-3 :) great to see a change. I think it should work well.
    Yeah, I'm delighted with that. Kilbane captain too.

O'Shea is hopeless. Absolutely hopeless.
    judging by sportinglife.com O Shea is playing very well at LB completely fool Darijo Srna at one point :) I hope he has a good match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Miller is having another poor game imo, he does very little positive with the ball. Standard passage of play involving Miller goes like this: X is in possesion, is put under pressure, offloads ball to Miller, Miller holds it for a second looks up, presumably at someone in the crowd, passes it back to X. Miller makes no futher movement and X hoofs it long or back to the keeper. Once or twice he has made a contribution going forward but the vast majority of his play is very similar to the above, if he's featuring at all.
    Great work by Duffer for the goal

Edit: after the switch to 4-4-2 he has looked more positive.

In other news Niall Quinn invents new words while commentating. Croatian defender Kovac has looked 'fuffled' once or twice according to Quinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What a bit of magic by Duff and great awareness by Keane to take a step back and create the opening to score. Pitty he couldn't finish the chances he had, Robbie is far from at his best.

Fair play to Richard Dunne he played very well, apart from that moment in the first few minutes he was outstanding, especially his clearance off the line. Miller showed a bit of the hunger he had while playing at Celtic, Kavangh played again as did Kilbane.

I just hope we don't use that 4-3-3 too often, doesn't suit the team IMO.

After a poor enough first half I thought Miller was probably our best player in the second half.

I thought Elliott did very well for his debut. Very competent on the ball and a good passer. A pity none of the chances fell to him.

While I was happy with the starting XI and Kerr's decision to experiment with 4-3-3, I wasnt happy, and cant understand, his substitution policy. If you want to give Quinn and Barrett a run, why not give them 20 minutes instead of the 10 and 5 they got respectively. What can you learn about somebody in under 10 minutes??

Most baffling was taking off Paddy Kenny and bringing on Shay Given. Cannot understand that one little bit. And with the Croat's best chance coming 1 minute after Kenny went off, we would have learned more about Kenny in that minute than we did in the previous 80. From the little I have seen of both Kenny and Colgan, I'd much prefer Colgan.

Then McGeady gets two minutes in injury time. One touch, a header. Didnt get one kick of the ball. That frustrated and annoyed me, and I'm sure it did the same to him.

Finally, the fans really get ripped off by the FAI at friendlies. Tickets are miles over-priced, and the games are usually terrible, especially against opposition like Croatia who dont try and win. The Portugal game will be my last friendly, and if that means that I cant get tickets for competitive games in future, then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Totally agree with you about the substition policy. IMO, players in a friendly should be brought on for a minimum of 20 minutes unless there is an injury. I could not believe that Kerr would put McGeady on for the last 2 minutes of injury rime FFS.

Have to agree with you Rooster! wasnt impressed with the use of subs from Kerr in any of the friendly matchs so far! I don't see why he kept Duff on for the full 90 mins??? why???? he walked the MoM already and should have put Quinn on in his position out on the left about 5-10 mins into the second half!! McGeady also could have replaced him....FFS give the man a rest!!

Anyway was impressed with the Irish side....thought after the first 10 mins in first half they played well.....Kilbane had a good game and was trying to play the Keane role and jumping into tackles....few of the Croat's players where not impressed!! haha! Miller had a good game!! Players at the back all had good games but still unsure of Finnan when going forward....loses the ball too much......honey monster was good after his initial mistake...Kenny was solid...have seen him numerous times for Shef Utd and is a great goalkeeper!! dont tink he has to prove himself at international level!! Still would like to see Murphy get his chance!! its Murphy that at West Brom aint it??? think he is real thing and will replace the Legend Given!!

Eliott had a great game in the role everyone thought Duff would play.....seemed like Duff and Keane where up front and Eliott behind them.....

Keane had decent game but was caught offside too many times!!

Anyway was an enjoyable game!! dont think the game is overpriced because every friendly game I have gone to have always enjoyed it!! never get to international ones because the FAI always have tickets for there buddies!!

Fair play to you Nelly, for thinking that was an enjoyable game. You'd feckin love competetive games. I've been going to home games since we beat the Soviets 1-0 under Eoin Hand, and been a block booker for I dont know how many years. I stopped going to friendlies around the end of the Jack/beginning of Mick eras because I was fed up them. TV is the best place to watch friendlies IMO.

But this season, for the first time, the FAI are insisting on block bookers taking up their entitlement to friendlies or else they lose their block booker status. Previously you'd get offered the tickets, but didnt have to take them. I dont mind paying €45 for my stand ticket for competitive games, but €42 for friendlies is scandalous IMO. I'd guess there'll be a number of block bookers not renewing after these qualifiers, so Nelly, if your name isnt already on the FAI waiting list, get it down now, and I'd bet come the next set of qualifiers you'll be getting tickets sent to you for every game.

Good game (even if it was only us who seemed to want to make a game of it). Top performances by Finnan and Duff.

Keane showed yet again why he'll never be the finished product as a striker (out of interest what is his success ratio 1v1 against a keeper, 10% 5%?). Everytime he was caught offside and everyone was groaning I was just laughing because I knew he wasn't going to score anyway so it didn't really matter.

Well done to the FAI, they've just dropped down another level (if thats possible). :rolleyes: The lads on Foot.ie had a red card protest arranged but what do the FAI do? Instruct the stewards to confiscate all red cards. They also played really loud music after Milo's name was announced to drown out the boo's. Silly people, if anything that has made everyone more determined to get rid of them.

Well in fairness they now have to consider the image they portray for their masters Sky Sports!

(actually out of interest what was the FAI's excuse this time 'choosing' to switch the match to a Tuesday :) )

Will do mate!! have been going to most of the friendly games for the past 3-4 years! usually on North Terrarce!!! didnt bother with this one because I thought it was on a wednesday night and Im in nite course that nite!!

Still with all the games moving to UK maybe? what will the ticket situation be?

eirebhoy wrote:
    Well done to the FAI, they've just dropped down another level (if thats possible). :rolleyes: The lads on Foot.ie had a red card protest arranged but what do the FAI do? Instruct the stewards to confiscate all red cards

FFS! That's ridiculous if that's true. I would serve the FAI better to concentrate on improving the systems in place rather than ..
    eirebhoy wrote:
    They also played really loud music after Milo's name was announced to drown out the boo's. Silly people, if anything that has made everyone more determined to get rid of them.

I was watching it live on Sky Sports last night and I remember thinking at the time that the noise of the crowd did seem very low. Probably been very cynical here, but I reckoned it was probably due to the fact that they didn't want to broadcast the noise of the crowd booing Perso(sp?) if was playing.

Pigman II wrote:
    (actually out of interest what was the FAI's excuse this time 'choosing' to switch the match to a Tuesday )

Probably had something to do with Sky not wanting to go head to head with the BBC who are showing the England match live tonight!!!

B.

Pigman II wrote:
    Well in fairness they now have to consider the image they portray for their masters Sky Sports!

(actually out of interest what was the FAI's excuse this time 'choosing' to switch the match to a Tuesday :) )
    So Kerr could attend the Cyprus Israel game tonight. Yeah what a pack of idiots. :rolleyes:

Sure the England game isnt on Sky Sports tonight anyway, and I hardly think the Irish will be queuing up to see Scotland in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Pigman II wrote:

This was totally down to Kerr. There was an interview with him during the week (can't remember what station) and he said that all Irish friendlies would be played on Tuesday instead of Wednesday from now on. He said that club managers preferred it, some of the players were interviewed and said they did too as it gives them an extra day to recuperate before their next club fixture. Kerr says within the next few seasons all countries will probably be scheduling like this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement