Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Croatia

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

SteM wrote:
    This was totally down to Kerr. There was an interview with him during the week (can't remember what station) and he said that all Irish friendlies would be played on Tuesday instead of Wednesday from now on. He said that club managers preferred it, some of the players were interviewed and said they did too as it gives them an extra day to recuperate before their next club fixture. Kerr says within the next few seasons all countries will probably be scheduling like this.

I suppose that's fair enough, but you can hardly blame the cynicism where the FAI are concerned!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

SteM wrote:
    This was totally down to Kerr. There was an interview with him during the week (can't remember what station) and he said that all Irish friendlies would be played on Tuesday instead of Wednesday from now on. He said that club managers preferred it, some of the players were interviewed and said they did too as it gives them an extra day to recuperate before their next club fixture. Kerr says within the next few seasons all countries will probably be scheduling like this.

I'm sure that's the party line! Just find it a bit suspicious that all these Tuesday night friendlies started occuring as soon as Sky came into the equation.

One minute Kerr is saying he switches friendlies so that he can get away to check out our group opposition games and now he's saying it's to facilitate the clubs. :rolleyes: What next Greener, will you be telling us you talked to Owen Keegan and he told you traffic in Dublin 4 wasn't as bad on a Tuesday as a Wednesday?

If I was cynical I'd imagine the first meeting of Sky and the FAI after the 8million euro contract went something like this ....

Sky : "You're playing your friendlies on Tuesdays. End of story. Now get out of my office"
    FAI : "Yes sir!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Pigman II wrote:
    I'm sure that's the party line! Just find it a bit suspicious that all these Tuesday night friendlies started occuring as soon as Sky came into the equation.

One minute Kerr is saying he switches friendlies so that he can get away to check out our group opposition games and now he's saying it's to facilitate the clubs. :rolleyes: What next Greener, will you be telling us you talked to Owen Keegan and he told you traffic in Dublin 4 wasn't as bad on a Tuesday as a Wednesday?

If I was cynical I'd imagine the first meeting of Sky and the FAI after the 8million euro contract went something like this ....

Sky : "You're playing your friendlies on Tuesdays. End of story. Now get out of my office"
    FAI : "Yes sir!"

Well to be fair, I never heard or read anything where Kerr mentioned he was changing to Tuesday to check out our group opponents, I'm only passing on what I heard him say. I think if I was a professional player I'd prefer to be back at my club a day earlier from a pretty meaningless friendly anyway.

It's very easy to be cynical when it comes to dealing with the FAI but I have no reason to disbelieve Kerr as he has seemed quite forthright in his dealings with the press etc so far.

Anyway Tuesday or Wednesday, what does it matter? Does it make that big a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Well, any players that play on a sunday are probably knackered (eg like manu/newcastle players this week) when they play on Tuesday. If they had until Wednesday to recover, then you might see better displays from them.

Wednesday gives to optimal amount of time between recovering from the previous weekend and preparing for the next. Well actually, maybe if the games were played Wednesday lunchtime or something like that, then it would be better for the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kerr definitely said he moved the game to a Tuesday so he could go to see Israel first hand for the first time. I don't think he was changing his reason when he said "the clubs prefer Tuesdays". He probably just wants to let everyone know that he's not alone in wanting to play Tuesday friendlies. If it was Sky that moved it to Tuesday, why would Kerr come out with a load of lies anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Boro wrote:
    Wednesday gives to optimal amount of time between recovering from the previous weekend and preparing for the next. Well actually, maybe if the games were played Wednesday lunchtime or something like that, then it would be better for the players.
    and everyone comes out during the rush-hour traffic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i agree that the players wont be as fresh if they are playin on tuesday, but its only friendlies that are on the tuesday. for WCQ's they'll have enough rest before the game anyway.

Advertisement