Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes!

Options
  • 15-11-2004 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Post up all the best recipes yee have for cake or pie right here so Kitty can get started in her kitchen! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

will you make some for me?

i dont do recipies, but i do do icing! you cant beat a good butter icing! use a good quality butter and colour\flavour to taste! for a topping to the icing i suggest jelly babies!

now thats goos icing-perhaps for a chocolate sponge!

tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

cakes and pies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

There are loads of both cake and pie recipes here. Kittys doing to be very busy! Also, some books with cake recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

i could post my secret recipe for authentic new york style cheesecake, its kinda long ( but sooo worth it), so if anyone wants it, say so. otherwise, im too lazy to type it all out :D

MOD NOTE: tovalee hasn't been online since 01-03-2007, so I really doubt you'll be getting the cheesecake recipe! No need to keep asking on thread, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Chocolate buttons on chocolate cream on chocolate icing on chocolate sponge with chocolate butter icing in the middle and chocolate shavings on the perimeter (chocolate chips optional).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

tovalee wrote:
    i could post my secret recipe for authentic new york style cheesecake, its kinda long ( but sooo worth it), so if anyone wants it, say so. otherwise, im too lazy to type it all out :D

I want it! Sounds yummy. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I would love the cheesecake recipe!

In exchange I will give up my famous chocolate brownie one. They're excellent with homemade chocolate ice-cream (I'll also supply the recipe for this but only on PM as it's a family super secret) :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

A good recipe for Easter:

You need home-made choolate cupcakes, chocolate butter icing (made with BUTTER, not margarine), a bag of Mini Eggs and one of those icing pipe thingies with a star-shaped nozzle

Pipe the icing in a spiral starting from the centre of the cupcake, going rght out to the edge. Stick two different coloured mini-eggs on top, and voila - you have a nest cake!! Children love these

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So whats this authentic new york style cheesecake:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

This is the easiest cake ever to make - it's basically like a sponge.

1 small pot of yoghurt (any flavour)

Empty yoghurt into mixing bowl and then using the empty pot add:

1 pot sunflower oil
    2 pots sugar
    3 pots flour

Add a teaspoon of baking powder. Add 3 eggs and mix it all up - if you want to make a little extra effort separate the eggs, add the yolks and whip the whites before folding them in to the rest of the mixture.

Pour mixture into a round springform (or whatever cake tin you have), cover with tinfoil and cook for about 30 mins at 180. Check with a knife or skewer to make sure it's cooked through. If not, leave in for five or ten minutes more.

Top with whatever you like - I like fresh cream and fruit (to match whatever flavour yoghurt you chose) as it's least amount of effort. If it's for kids (of any age!) then melted chocolate and adding smarties or jelly tots when nearly hard is also very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I personally love Banoffi Pie whats the recipe for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Ingredients (20cm 8" round tin)
    -Pear 2
    -Cherry 200g (optional)
    -Lemon 1/2
    -Butter (margarine) 90g
    -Sugar 100g
    -Egg 2
    -Self-raising flour 150g

Method
    1. Prepare margarine and egg out of fridge to room temperature

2.Put margarine into a bowl, beat until creamy. Add sugar, mix them until they become whitish. Add eggs one by one, add quickly flour with a flat mixer
    Add sliced pear, cherry with lemon juice.

3.Paste maragine on the inside of the rount tin. Pour 2 into this

Bake 40 minutes at 180c oven.

{translated from Japanese}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CiaraBelle

Chakar wrote:

I don't know an actual recipe for it but heres a super-quick one:
    1) Make a cheescake base (eg crushed up biscuits and melted butter into cake tin)
    2)Put a toffee sauce on the base (You can get really good gourmet ones that come in jars)
    3)Sliced bananas on that!
    4)And lotsa fresh whipped cream on top!

Not sure if thats what you're used to but it hits the spot every time!!:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mickjoe

To a young Dublin "jackeen", going on the gur' meant mitching from, skiving off, or taking an unathorizied day off, school.
    A wise (gurrier) would have acquired the price of a piece of gur cake to sustain him.
    Gur cake is, of course, an invention of commercial bakeries to use up unsold cakes and breads-by it's very nature the taste and texture changed from day to day. Lefovers are mixed up, with a little extra dried fruit and enough water to bind the lot into a moist gunge (indeed, the Cork version was often called "donkey's gunge"), sandwiched between 2 layers of robust pastry, baked and then cut into good sized chunks. This concoction, always the cheaped item on sale in the bakery shop, was much beloved of Dublin gurriers, especially when hot and steaming from the oven.

Gur cake is still on sale in the city of Dublin, especially in the Liberties. Elsewhere, much the same cake goes by the grand titile of "fruit slice". If you are thrifty and into recycling you might like to try this domestic version. It's good made with tired Christmas cake or pudding, with boiled fruit cake, brack, sponge cake and bread. Obviously, the more bread in the mixture the more dried fruit you need to add.

Ingredients for Gur Cake

280g (10 oz.) shortcrust or puffed pastry
    About 350g (12 oz.) leftover cake or bread
    60g (2 oz./1/2 cup) unsifted self-rising white flour
    90g (3 oz./scant 1/2 cup) brown sugar, firmly packed
    1 large egg, beaten (or the equivalent amount of milk or water) to mix with 1-2 teaspoons mixed spice
    60-175g (2-6 oz./1/4-3/4 cup) mixed dried fruit, or to taste
    A little milk, for brushing top of pastry

Instructions:
    Place the leftover cake/and or bread, in a food processor and whiz until you have fairly fine crumbs. Stir in the rest of the dry ingredients using as much fruit as you feel you need to achieve a rich "fruity" mixture. Add the beaten egg/mixed spice (or milk or water) mixture using as much liquid as will make a stiff paste like texture.

Grease a retangular 28cm x 20cm (11x7 inch) cake tin. Roll out the pastry thinly into 2 pieces the size of the tin. Line the bottom of the tin with one layer of pastry. Spread the filling on top. Cover with the second layer of pastry. Prick the top all over (lighly) with a fork, then brush with a little milk.

Bake at 190 degrees C (375 F) Gas Mark 5, for 45-55 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown. Cool in cake tin.

Traditionally, Gur cake is cut into rectangular chunks about 9cm long by 5cm wide (3 1/2 inches long by 2 inches wide) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Karen Butcher

I would love to have your new york cheesecake recipe. It doesn't matter how long it takes to make, I would love to have a great recipe. Thanks! Karen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Karen Butcher

tovalee wrote: »

I would love your new york cheesecake recipe. Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Chakar wrote: »

almost 2 years later :D but here's an easy Banoffie pie recipe

BASE:
    1 standard size pack of digestives, don't be stingy, buy the nice McVities ones, and 8oz unsalted butter (if no unsalted in the house/shop use margarine..ordinary butter is too salty)

Based method: melt the butter, stick the biscuits in the food processor to make crumbs (if no processor hammer the living day lights out of them in a food bag wrapped in a tea towel..great therapy too ;).)
    Mix both together, flatten into your base. You dont have to have a spring loaded tin for this, any pie dish will do.
    TIP: if you want it to keep, bake the base for a few mins in a hot oven 200c 400f approx watch it carefully or it will burn, what youre trying to do is basically reset the biscuit.

Filling
    2 tins Nestle condensed milk dropped into a suacepan of water (DO NOT OPEN TIN!!). you get variations on how long to boil the tins for but i say 2 hours hard, fast boil. Allow the tins to cool slightly then open and spread evenly over base.

Now if it's a dinner party and you want to serve it at the table, sliced bananas next (when it's cooled down) topped with whipped cream and grated dairymilk. Job done. If however you only need 3 portions, cut the 3 portion slices out of the base, then individually put the banana, cream and choc on them so you dont waste the rest. Keep the base in the fridge for further use for about 5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 boccuzzi

i would love the recipe for the authentic new york style cheesecake, i have visitors from usa coming in a few weeks and would love to make one for them as i have never seen any to buy in the shops. its the best type of cheesecake EVER!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 luckystars

Chocolate Cup Cakes
    Makes 12

50g (2oz) dark chocolate
    100g (4oz) butter, softened
    100g (4oz) soft light brown sugar
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    100g (4oz) plain flour
    1/2 tsp cream of tartar
    1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1 tbsp cocoa power

for the icing
    50g (2oz) butter
    2 tbsp single cream
    150g (5oz) icing sugar
    40g (13/4oz) cocoa powder
    1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4. Fill a bun tray with 12 paper bun cases or small muffin cases.

2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl sitting over simmering water. Set aside and allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until pale and light, and then stir in the chocolate. Beat in the eggs gradually, then sift in the flour, cream of tartar, bicarbonate of soda and the cocoa powder. Stir gently to mix. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake in the oven for 14-16 minutes or until almost firm in the centre. Cool on a wire rack.

3. Meanwhile, make the chocolate icing. Melt the butter and cream together in a bowl sitting over simmering water. Sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder and mix. It should be of spreading consistency; if it's too wet, add another 25g (1oz) icing sugar. Spread generously onto the cooled cupcakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 luckystars

Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
    • 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
    • 3 extra-large eggs
    • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
    • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    For the glaze: "I've not done the glaze as can't find confectioners sugar"
    • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
    • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
    Grease and flour the pan.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

This recipe is divine. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/chocolateeclairs_82376.shtml
    Hint instead of making the chocolate sauce i would recommend just melting lindt chocolate instead. Its not as messy as the sauce! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

i flippin love cakes and pies!! they are my biggest weakness! im kinda fit so I try not eat too many, but they rock!! best cake shop ive been in is one in salthill!! im a dub so its hard for me to say that! but if your ever up that neck of the woods be sure to drop in!
    keep postin the recipes, they sound good, might whip out the oul chefs hat and get messy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

i agree keep posting yummy recipes i love cake recipes but if any one has a recipe for wholemeal brown bread like "McCambridge stone ground whole wheat bread" that you can buy in supermarkets i would be very grateful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I can't wait to try this, I saw it on Jamie Olivers At Home show
    Tray-Baked Meringue with Pears, Cream, Toasted Hazelnuts and Chocolate Sauce

Cook Time:1 hr
    Level:Intermediate
    6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
    4 large free-range or organic egg whites
    1 1/4 cups raw sugar
    Pinch sea salt
    4 ounces hazelnuts, skins removed
    2 (14-ounce) cans halved pears, in syrup
    2 pieces stem ginger, thinly sliced, optional
    7 ounces bittersweet chocolate (minimum 70 percent cocoa solids)
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    2 ounces icing sugar, sifted
    1 vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped out
    1 orange, zested
    Directions
    Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a sheet of waxed paper.

Put your egg whites into a squeaky clean bowl, making sure there are absolutely no little pieces of egg shell or egg yolk in them. Whisk on medium until the whites form firm peaks. With your mixer still running, gradually add the sugar and the pinch of salt. Turn the mixer up to the highest setting and whisk for about 7 or 8 minutes, until the meringue mixture is white and glossy. To test whether it's done you can pinch some between your fingers - if it feels completely smooth it's ready; if it's slightly granular it needs a little more whisking.

Dot each corner of the waxed paper with a blob of meringue, then turn it over and stick it to the baking sheet. Spoon the meringue out onto the paper. Using the back of a spoon, shape and swirl it into a rectangle. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour or until crisp on the outside and a little soft and sticky inside. At the same time, bake the hazelnuts on a separate sheet in the oven for 1 hour or until golden brown.

Drain the cans of pears, reserving the syrup from 1 can. Cut each pear half into 3 slices. Pour the pear syrup into a saucepan with the ginger, if using, and warm gently over a medium heat until it starts to simmer. Take off the heat and snap the chocolate into the saucepan, stirring with a spoon until it's all melted.

Take the meringue and hazelnuts out of the oven and leave to cool. Place the meringue on a nice rustic board or platter. Whip the cream with the sifted icing sugar and the vanilla seeds until it forms smooth, soft peaks. Smash the toasted hazelnuts (in a kitchen towel) and sprinkle half of them over the top of the meringue. Spoon half the whipped cream over the top and drizzle with some of the chocolate sauce (if the sauce has firmed up, melt it slightly by holding the saucepan over a large pan of boiling water). Divide most of the pear pieces evenly over the top. Pile over the rest of the whipped cream and pears. Drizzle with some more chocolate sauce, then sprinkle over the remaining toasted hazelnuts with some grated orange zest. Serve straightaway. If you're making this in advance, get everything ready and assemble at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

tovalee wrote: »

yes, please post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

+1, post it!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

*Steps in*

My wife does an astonishing New York Baked Cheesecake. It's from the Joy of Cooking.

DSC_3354_crop.jpg

Here's the recipe:

http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20030619mailbo0619fnp1.asp

Note: It uses over a kilo of cream cheese and the best part of 7 eggs!

A photo-based step-by-step guide is here, using a few tiny variations on the ingredients:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/89/Cheesecake-Plain-New-York-Style/print

Also, it uses Graham Crackers for the base - You can buy these in Fallon & Byrne, but I guess at a pinch you could use boring old digestives. Heavy Cream is the same as Double Cream here. All-purpose flour is close enough to plain flour. My wife leaves out the flour and instead adds one teaspoon of cornflour.

She made it for my recent birthday, and it fed us for about 4 or 5 days.

Enjoy!

PS - If you're feeling lazy, I hear Simon's Place in town do a pretty good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

If you want to have some fun with a baked cheesecake, try this out, the nice surprise inside is great when watching guests reactions as it's rather eye-catching (and darned tasty!) :D I bake it in a waterbath on a low heat but for longer, this makes sure the top doesn't crack and the cheesecake isn't dry, it's super creamy :)

Mocha & Vanilla Bean Cheesecake

MVBCheesecakeSlice01.jpg

If you leave out the mocha flavouring & the zebra effect, then you'll have a tasty New York style cheesecake :)

And then for a really easy but such a moreish tart, try this South African Milktart, it's really really really good and if you love custard, you'll love this! (I've eaten slices for breakfast ;) )

Milktart

MilkTart05.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Andreahalley

Hi! I found these tips on a website and wanna share with you ladies here

My Top Ten Tips For Making The Perfect Cookie

My first few cookie baking experiments left me with a dry, crumbly and hard cookie. Homemade from scratch cookies are so yummy I had to figure out how to make them right. Here are a few tips I have picked up along the way for making sure my cookies come out soft and chewy every time!
    ::Butter, baby
    Doesn’t butter make almost anything tastes good? Don’t use margarine, low fat, whipped or shortening in your cookies. A good ol’ stick of butter is the only kind you should use. Oh, and make that unsalted butter too
    ::Cream the butter and sugar
    This is a necessary step! Make sure your butter is softened, not melted, and cream until light and fluffy
    ::The Flour
    Make sure you are using all purpose flour. And make sure you are measuring it right too. Over or under measuring will change your cookie dramatically
    ::Mix Dry Ingredients
    Before adding your dry ingredients to your wet mixture, combine your dry ingredients in a separate bow. This ensures that everything is evenly mixed and you don’t end up with ::Don’t over mix
    Once you add the dry ingredients, mix until just blended. Over mixing makes one tough cookie!
    ::Chill the Dough
    Don’t know why, but it works! Make sure you keep it chilled in between batches also
    ::Use a Baking Stone
    It makes perfect cookies every time
    ::Or use a cookie sheet with parchment paper
    If you don’t have a baking stone, use parchment paper on your cookie sheet. It makes the bottoms of the cookie nice and smooth and eliminates the need for oiling the pan (which can make the cookies spread too much and over brown on the bottom)
    ::Use an Ice Cream Scoop
    You will get perfectly portioned cookies that cook evenly and look great!
    ::Take out 5-10 minutes early
    I think this is the best way to have soft cookies. Under cooking slightly makes the cookie soft. Remember that they continue to cook a little even after taking them out of the oven. My rule of thumb is as soon as I can smell them, they come out, even if the middle is slightly undone. Let sit in the pan for a few minutes, and then cool on a wire rack .
    There you have it, some simple tips for yummy cookies! My last tip: don’t eat them all in one sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SuperFatCat

Hi,
    Not sure if you figured it out since you posted.....but "Confectioners Sugar" is just what the americans call our icing sugar!! And, its real easy to make that glaze for your cake!!
    Happy cake-ing!!!!!
    luckystars wrote: »
    Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
    • 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
    • 3 extra-large eggs
    • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
    • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    For the glaze: "I've not done the glaze as can't find confectioners sugar"
    • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
    • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
    Grease and flour the pan.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.

When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.

Advertisement