Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SuperFatCat

Hi everyone,
    I need help!! I just moved to the states an am desperate for a cheesecake to help my homesickness.......unfortunately none of the philadelphia cream cheese packets carry the recipie on the back :( Can anyone help me out?!?!? I mean I know the basics of it, I must've made it a thousand times at home, but I need the measurements!!
    Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Is this the one you're after?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

Pecan Nut Fudge Cake! Great for big parties 'cause it's quite rich so you can get about 16 slices out of it, serve with some vanilla bean ice-cream and you're all set :)

Pecan%20Fudge%20Cake%2003.jpg

Also, my striped Mocha & Vanilla Bean New York Cheesecake recipe has moved sites :)

As for buttercream frosting, you haven't had a buttercream frosting till you've had Swiss Buttercream (this is for Maple Swiss Buttercream but I haven't posted a cake/cupcake yet with just plain vanilla, just leave the maple out or add any other flavour or colouring, brandy buttercream is also good! The recipe is near the end of the macaron recipe post). It's a little bit of work to make but so worth the effort. It also doesn't dry with a crust on it and is super creamy and not as sickly sweet as Simple Buttercream (icing sugar & butter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

This is one of my favorite chocolate cake recipe:) Its one I would have made since I was a kid back home in Sweden.

Cake:
    150g butter
    2 eggs
    3 dl sugar
    11/2 dl milk
    270 g plain flour
    21/2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons vanilla sugar/vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons coco powder

Icing:
    80 g butter
    5 dl icing sugar
    5 tablespoons cold strong coffee
    11/2 tablespoons coco powder
    21/1 teaspoons vanilla sugar/vanilla extract

The oven should be on 175-200c and it takes about half an hour.
    Pour on the icing while the cakes warm and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.

Enjoy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

maxxie wrote: »
    i flippin love cakes and pies!! they are my biggest weakness! im kinda fit so I try not eat too many, but they rock!! best cake shop ive been in is one in salthill!! im a dub so its hard for me to say that! but if your ever up that neck of the woods be sure to drop in!
    keep postin the recipes, they sound good, might whip out the oul chefs hat and get messy! :D

what's the name of the place in salthill? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Trying this this weekend it's from here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFO5UWH-5x8 simple n dangerously heart attacky.

White choc mud cake.

250g butter
    200g white chocolate
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup milk
    1 & 1/3 cup plain flour
    1 cup SR flour (add 2tsp baking powder as sub)
    3 eggs

GANACHE:
    200g White chocolate
    1/2 cup cream

In cold saucepan put in the milk and butter and choc. And sugar.

Slowly let melt together. Keep stirring until melted and pale yellow.

Leave 15 mins to cool.

In lg bowl plain flour and self raising flour.
    Add cooled choc mixture and eggs and mix well.

Put into a cake tin, line it twice on bottom with baking paper.

Put into 180 c preheated oven for 1 hour 20 mins.

Ganache

Pour cream into the pan and add white chocolate and melt slowly and stir.
    Leave it for 15 to 20 mins to cool.

Let cake cool.

Turn cake over and pour icing ganache over flat side of cake.
    Put a board underneath to catch drips.

Am glad I treated myself to some american measuring cups, although the recipe is from an Australian I presume they are the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Baker8609

I love this recipe as its so quick to put together an only takes bout 15-20 mins to bake!

300g Self Raising Flour
    100g Butter (softened)
    75g Caster Sugar
    1/2 teaspoon Mixed Spice
    1 Egg
    3/4 mug of Milk
    Mug of Raisins

Mix flour, sugar and mixed spice and rub in butter, add raisins
    mix milk and egg together then add to rest of mixture
    I spoon the mixture into greased cupcake tins...just right portions!
    Bake for about 15 mins @ 180C, check them and bake lil bit longer if needed.

Let them cool then add butter, jam, cream and a cuppa! Yum!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hubby fancies some pineapple cake, sponge based he's had one before but can't remember much about it but it was sponge based with a pineapple filling and possibly some sort of pineapple icing on top.

Am thinking butter cream wouldn't be nice with pineapple? Maybe double cream?

Any nice cake recipe suggestions? Have tried upside down cakes before but would rather avoid them (bit of a disaster with me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I love pineapple. I may marry it one day. Usually when I'm in the mood for pineapple cake I do the following:

Make a victoria sponge, but add 1oz dessicated coconut to the batter and bake. Take a tin of pineapple rings (in juice), take out the rings and save the juice. Pulse the rings in a processor until crushed and mix in some icing sugar until the mix becomes thick. Spread this on the cooled cake and sandwich. Then take about 4 tbsps of your reserved juice and mix with icing sugar until you have a thick syrupy icing to drizzle or spread on top.

It comes out quite pretty and tastes divine. Great to make in a brownie tin as squares too!:D

Note to self...buy pineapple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

This is a recipe my friend gave to me. Its really easy. Its a phipino dessert.

Ingredients

-454g Grated Cassava ; You get it at Philipino stores for only 3 euro or so, and keep it in the fridge/freezer

- 400ml coconut milk

-397g condensed milk

-sugar

Directions

-Empty all of Cassava into a large oven proof dish, something like a lasagne dish.

-Add 300ml of coconut milk, 298g condensed milk, 1 tbsp of sugar

-Stir together until it makes a smooth mixture

-Place in an oven at gas mark 4/ 180'C for 50 mins

-Mix the remainder of coconut milk & condensed milk & 2tsp sugar together. After taking cake out of oven pour this mixture over the cake and place it under the grill to brown it.

search%3Fq%3Dcassava%2Bcake%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLL_en%26biw%3D1276%26bih%3D567%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=141&page=1&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&tx=88&ty=68

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

This flourless cake is suitable for those with issues with gluten.
    This is one of two flourless cakes I bake, the other - Fataipanni, I will write up soon.

The cakes origins are in the Sephardic tradition. These were the Jewish diaspora in Iberia before their expulsion in the late 15th century.

This light and delicious half cake-half sponge is very easy to do and can be prepped in two simple ways.

I think this was the first cake I ever baked - based on a recipe in the Times
    I kind of plan to enter in in the Clifden Pony Show this year so wish me luck.

Ingredients
    3 medium oranges
    6 eggs, separated
    200g sugar
    200g ground almonds
    1tsp baking powder

Method
    Place the clean, whole and unpeeled fruit in water to cover, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1½ hours or until soft, adding more water when necessary.
    Drain the oranges, cut into quarters, discard any major pips, and whiz the rest, including peel, in the food-processor, then cool.
    Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
    Beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl until pale.
    Beat in the oranges, almonds, and baking powder.
    Beat the egg whites until softly peaky and fold gently into the mixture.

Pour into a 23cm /9" spring form cake tin and bake for an hour, until firm to the touch (cover with a loose sheet of foil if over-browning). Cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.

Sometimes, as I did in this case, I divide the mixture into two tins and bake for about 35 minutes- that way with a whipped cream filling the cake can be served up more as a sponge cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Here is a really simple recipe for a cheesecake. I made it yesterday and it's delicious. If you haven't much time and want something simple to throw together its a must. Enjoy.

Ingredients: 150g digestive biscuits, 75g margarine, 1 lemon, 200g cream cheese, 125ml cream & 50g caster sugar.

Method:
    1. Crumb biscuits (blender or plastic bag and bash them)
    2. Melt Margarine and stir in biscuit crumbs. Use to line base and sides of 20cm (8") flan case.
    3. Wash & dry lemon. Cut 2 slices from the centre for garnish. grate rind & squeeze juice.
    4. Cream cheese & sugar in a bowl. Stir in lemon rind & half the juice. Whip the cream until thick & fold into mixture. (Reserve enough for decoration)
    5. Spread the mixture over the crumbs and chill before serving.
    6. decorate with whipped cream & twists of lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orlaeryn

This sounds lovely, will be trying this out over the weekend, my daughter is gluten free so we are always on the lookout for new recipes. Would love to see your other one when you get a chance to post it, Thanks :)

cake2.jpg

Just a photo of the cake, served with home grown strawberries and filled with whipped, lime flavoured cream

This is a lovely, rich, moist cake that is very economical and easy to do. Like the Sephardic orange cake, it is flour free so good for those with gluten issues.

The look and texture reminds me a bit of Frangepani, the Italian almond and pear cake.
    The Gaelic word in Connemara for Potato's is Fatai (faah-tee) as opposed to thge more common pratai used in Munster and Ulster Irish, hence the name I gave this recipe - fatai-panne. It could easily have been called Henry Hill Cake (from the movie Goodfellas, Half Mick, Half Guinea)

Its an unusual pudding, based on a Minorcan recipe. You don't need the rhubarb in this one but I feel the tartness and flavour really adds to the overall dish.
    The gang from Garrai Glas really liked this cake.

Ingredients:
    500g of floury potato's
    120g Sugar
    3 eggs, separated with whites stiffly beaten
    Zest of 1 lemon
    Knob of Cuinneog Butter
    200g Rhubarb

Boil the spuds in their skins until done, then cool slightly, peel and mash or pass through a processor or food mill.
    Preheat the oven to 180 deg C or Gas Mark 4
    In a large bowl, work the egg yolks, sugar and lemon zest into the potato, then slowly add the stiff egg whites and sliced rhubarb.
    Pour the mixture into a buttered baking dish; Then bake for 35-40 minutes or until a cocktail stick can be inserted in the middle of the cake and come out clean.

If desired sprinkle sliced almonds over the cake about 10 minutes before cooking is finished.
    irish+sweet+potato+pie.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Zuiderzee, I've merged your threads with this pre-existing "Recipes" thread. In future, please post here rather than starting new threads, thanks.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I made my first attempt at carrot cake this morning, and it looks pretty well. So here goes:

8oz self raising flour
    5oz brown sugar
    2oz sultantas
    2oz walnuts
    5 oz grated carrot
    3 eggs
    175mls/6fl oz sunflower oil
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmet
    pinch of bread soda.

Put the sugar, sultanas, walnuts and carrots into a bowl
    DSCF3400.jpg

Beat eggs and oil together and stir into carrot mixture and then add sugar:
    DSCF3401.jpg

Line you loaf tin.

Sieve flour, spices and bread soda together and add to mixture and gently stir all the ingredients together and transfer to your tin:
    DSCF3402.jpg

150/300/gas 2 for 1 hour, approx.

Cool in tin for 15 mins, then cool on wire tray.

Top with Cinnamon icing.

3oz butter
    6oz icing sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon (add more if necessary)

Sieve together icing sugar and cinnamon.
    Cream it with the butter, and if too thick, add a teaspoon of milk/orange juice.

Final product:

DSCF3403.jpg

Enjoy :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I love carrot cake probably my favourite. I will try this out. Love the pics. :)

nesbitt wrote: »
    I love carrot cake probably my favourite. I will try this out. Love the pics. :)
    Thanks Nesbitt. It's always nice to see photo's at different stages of the mixing process!! :) Hope you like! My one went down a treat and have made 3 more since for friends/family so it must be nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 moley

Yum! That looks wonderful. In the U.S. we make our carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting, you use basically the same frosting recipe you have there but you do half cream cheese half butter. It's a little tangier and goes great with carrot or dark chocolate cakes :) People in the southern U.S. also put pineapple in their carrot cake, I've never really liked it that way but you might. Carrot cake is my daughter's favorite and what she wants for her fifth birthday next week, we always make ours with some orange juice and orange zest in the batter and a tiny bit of orange zest in the icing too ... this post has me craving carrot cake now.

• Advertisement

hey Moley, yeah I've tried the cream cheese icing alright, I just find for cinnamon icing just butter is perfect. I like the idea of the orange zest.. must try that next time!! Thanks for the tip :)

I'm afraid I don't have photo's to back this up, but last night I had some friends over for dinner, one being a celiac so I had to be very careful. I was a bit worried about a desert so I did the following:

3 pears
    2 tbsp butter
    6 tbsp honey
    cinnamon
    half a large tub of greek style yogurt
    • heat the butter on a pan at a low heat
    • cut each end off the pears and quarter
    • gently fry on the pan, tossing to heat though.
    • Sprinkle with cinnamon (enough to your own taste)
    • toss gently again
    • drizzle 4 tbsp of honey over pears and toss again, covering pears.
    • put yogurt into a bowl, sprinkle in some cinnamon and 2 tbsp honey, mix together.
    • put pears in a bowl, drizzle with syrup from the pan
    • serve wit
    h a dollop of yogurt

Absolutely amazing, and so so simple and celiac friendly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Wheat free banana bread
    125g caster sugar,
    100g soya margarine
    3 ripe bananas, peeled and chopped into quite small chunks
    4 tbsps coconut milk
    2 eggs
    300g spelt flour
    2tsps baking powder
    you can add walnuts, dried caranberries, raisins or what ever you think will compliment it.

Preheat oven to 180/gas 4
    Grease a 2lb loaf tin
    Blend the sugar and margarine in a bowl.
    Add the milk, eggs and banana, then the flour and baking powder.
    Mix this until it is just still moist.
    Stir in the walnuts, cranberries or whatever,leave them out if you wish!
    Pour it all into the tin.
    Bake for 1 hour or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean and dry.
    Turn out,leave to cool.
    Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cobear

I'm hoping to make a cake for my friend's birthday next week. I have a block of white sugarpaste icing that I bought in Decobake in Athlone. Would a regular recipe for a sponge cake work or do I need anything sturdier seeing as I'm icing it? All suggestions taken! thank you! :D

If you don't collect your own seaweed I would recommend an Irish companies products - Spanish Point Sea Veg - you can buy it online.

This recipe is kind of a Madeira cake, and the combination of sugar kelp and caraway works very well.

It introduces seaweed into your diet, which is full of minerals, vitamins and iodine.
    The only thing you need to do with the dried seaweed is soak it in warm water before chopping.
    The sea veg used is sugar kelp or kombu kelp.
    sugar+kelp+cake+title.jpg
    INGREDIENTS
    2 heaped teaspoons, kelp - finely chopped (sugar kelp or kombu kelp soaked in warm water till soft)
    225 grams butter - I always try to use Cuinneog butter
    115 grams castor sugar
    4 large eggs
    340 grams plain flour, sifted
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons caraway seeds
    Zest of half a lemon

METHOD
    Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C - 350 deg F or gas mark 4

Grease the sides of a 9 inch tin with a little butter and line the base with grease proof paper.

Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream until light and fluffy

Add the eggs one at a time and beat in well.
    If the mixture shows signs of curdling, add a little flour

Stir in the baking soda, sugar kelp, caraway seeds and lemon zest
    Add the flour and mix well.

If the mix is a bit dry you can add a tablespoon or two of milk.

Put the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes
    After 50 minutes check the cake with a wooden skewer, you put it through the centre of the cake - it should come out clean and dry. If it does not, give it another 10 minutes in the oven.

It is gorgeous to have with black tea and lemon
    More pics and tips etc as always on the blog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hummingbird Bakery Lemon Meringue Pie

I made this recently and was delighted with it. It's the best Lemon Meringue Pie recipe I've ever used. The taste is fantastic and the colour etc when it's cut open is just beautiful. That's just the basic meringue topping in the photo, I didn't bother with the Italian one. The only bit I wasn't pleased with was the pastry, it didn't roll at all for me (pastry making is not one of my strong points though). And with two tins of condensed milk in this though you wouldn't be eating too much of it :D

2012_06_17_14_03_46.jpg

Ingredients – Makes 10-12 slices

8 egg yolks
    2 x 397g tins condensed milk
    Freshly squeezed juice and grated zest of 8 unwaxed lemons
    1 Basic Pie Crust, partially blind baked (ingredients and method below)

Simpler Meringue Topping

6 egg whites
    330g caster sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Or Italian Meringue Topping

400g caster sugar
    7 egg whites
    ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Basic Pie Crust

260g plain flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    110g unsalted butter

Equipment

a 23cm pie dish, greased
    baking beans

Method

To Make the Pie Crust

Put the flour, salt and butter in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Add 1 tablespoon water and beat until well mixed.
    Add a second tablespoon of water and beat until you have a smooth, even dough. If the dough is still a little dry, add another tablespoon of water, but be careful not to add too much water – it is safer to beat the dough at high speed to try to bring the ingredients together.
    Wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave to rest for 1 hour.
    Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
    Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Line the prepared pie dish with the dough and trim the edges with a sharp knife. Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper over the dough crust and pour in the baking beans.
    Partially bake the pie crust in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake for a further 10 minutes. The dough should still be pale and slightly raw in the centre.

To Make the Lemon Meringue Pie

Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) Gas 2.
    Put the egg yolks, condensed milk and lemon juice and zest in a glass bowl and mix gently with a balloon whisk until all the ingredients are very well incorporated. The mixture will thicken naturally.
    Pour into the partially blind-baked pie crust and bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes. The filling should be firm to the touch but still very slightly soft in the centre (not wobbly!). Leave to cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight if possible.

To Make the Simpler Meringue Topping:

Put the egg whites in a freestanding electric mixer with a whisk attachment and whisk until frothy. Gradually add 2 tablespoons of the sugar at a time, whisking well after each addition. Once you have whisked in all the sugar, add the vanilla extract and whisk again until stiff peaks form.
    Spoon the meringue on top of the cold pie, making sure you completely cover the pie filling. Create peaks and swirls in the top of the meringue with the back of a tablespoon.
    Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown and crisp to the touch. (Note: With this method, the egg whites are not cooked through, so should not be served to the very young, the very old, those with compromised immune systems or to pregnant women.)
    Leave to cool completely before serving.

To Make the Italian Meringue Topping:

Put the sugar in a small saucepan and just cover with water. Set over medium heat and bring to the boil.
    While the sugar is on the hob, put the egg whites in a freestanding electric mixer with a whisk attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed. Whisk until the egg whites are light and foamy.
    When the sugar has been boiling for a short while, it should reach soft ball stage. (This is when the bubbles go more syrupy. To check, dip a spoon into the sugar, then drop it directly into a glass of cold water. The sugar will firm up on contact with the water. You should be able to form a soft ball out of the sugar. If it sets to hard to be able to form a ball, it has been boiled too long and has reached hard ball stage. Be careful, as the sugar goes from soft ball to hard ball stage very quickly. Don’t touch the hot syrup with your bare hand until you have dipped the spoon into the glass of cold water, otherwise you will burn your fingers.)
    Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and slowly pour the sugar syrup into the egg whites. Once all the syrup is incorporated, turn the mixer up to maximum speed and whisk for about 10-15 minutes, or until the meringue has tripled in size and is very white and fluffy.
    Turn the mixer back down to medium speed and continue to whisk for a couple more minutes until the meringue has cooled down slightly.
    Spoon the meringue on top of the cold pie, making sure you completely cover the pie filling. Create peaks and swirls in the top of the meringue with the back of a tablespoon.
    Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown and crisp to the touch. Leave to cool completely before serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hummingbird Bakery Coffee Cake

And this is their coffee cake (very messily iced, I will add). I had a lot of problems with this. Firstly, the picture shown is made with half the recipe. The actual recipe (below) calls for 8 eggs and 450g of both flour and sugar! I reckoned that wouldn't even fit into my mould (the correct mould according to the book), so I made half, which fit perfectly. When I tried to take it out it fell apart though, which is why the icing is so bad, I was basically sticking it back together. I was making cup cakes at the same time, so I decided to use chocolate icing and just finish off with a few swirls of vanilla. It tasted fine, but not too exciting - more of a cake to have with tea than a dessert cake. I actually wouldn't recommend this recipe, but here you are in the interests of research.

2012_06_24_16_33_07.jpg

2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
    450 g unsalted butter
    450 g caster sugar
    8 eggs
    450 g plain flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons cocoa powder – plus extra to decorate

1 quantity Hummingbird Vanilla Frosting
    60 g dark chocolate – grated into shavings to decorate
    Coffee beans to decorate (optional)
    A 25 -26cm ring mould – greased and dusted with flour

Firstly make coffee essence by putting coffee granules and 170mls water in a small saucepan, bring to boil over medium heat. Boil until reduced by half and remove from heat and leave to cool completely. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the essence to use in the frosting.
    Preheat the oven to 170º (325ºF) Gas 3.
    In a freestanding mixer using a paddle attachment beat butter, sugar and coffee essence until all ingredients are well incorporated.
    Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
    Beat in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder until everything is combined and the mixture is light and fluffy.
    Pour into ring mould and smooth surface.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until sponge feels firm to touch. (Do not open the oven up until the 40 mins or the cake will sink).
    Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
    Make the Hummingbird Vanilla frosting (recipe below) incorporating the reserved tablespoon of coffee essence at end of step 1.
    When the cake is cold put on a serving plate, cover the top with frosting, dust lightly with a sprinkling of cocoa powder and decorate with the chocolate shavings and coffee beans, if using.

Hummingbird Vanilla Frosting

250 g icing sugar, sifted
    80g unsalted butter
    25 ml whole milk
    a couple of drops of vanilla extract

Beat icing sugar and butter together in freestanding mixer on medium slow speed until the mixture comes together.
    Turn the mixer down to slow speed and add the milk (and vanilla essence previously mixed) gradually.
    Once all the milk has been incorporated turn the mixture up to high speed.
    Beat for at least 5 minutes until fluffy and light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Some lovely recipes on here so I thought I'd contribute. This is my go-to cake when I fancy doing a spot of baking. It's also a great way of using up left over rum from Christmas. :D
    The recipe is originally from an American site called SimplyRecipes and it's taken me a while to properly adjust the measurements. I also, through trial and error, adapted it to be more like a rum cake as there's a lot of it left over from my Christmas hamper and it felt like a novel way of using it up.

Anyhoo, enough of my blabbing- here's the recipe:

YOU WILL NEED:

For the syrup:
    5oz dark muscavado sugar
    About 1/2 a block unsalted butter, cubed
    1 can (20 oz) of pineapple slices in natural juice
    1 shot of Morgan's Spiced Rum

Cake:
    6oz all purpose flour (I used Supervalu's Budget Self Raising)
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    5oz light brown sugar
    5oz dark muscavado sugar
    1/2 block of unsalted butter unsalted butter
    4 large eggs
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 shot of Morgan's Spiced Rum (feel free to add a bit more if you're feeling naughty!)
    NOTE: I don't currently have any pictures of the cake but I just popped one into the oven so, provided my parents don't eat it all up before I get the chance, I'll snap a picture and post it up later. :)

METHOD:
    1: Start by making a simple syrup topping. Take the brown sugar and butter and combine and melt in a saucepan on medium heat until sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbly. This shouldn't take longer than about 5 minutes.(After sugar melts, don't stir.) Pour mixture into a 10 inch diameter stick-free cake pan with 2 inch high sides. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer ontop of the caramel mixture.

2: Preheat oven to 200C. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the sugars and butter together until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and rum. Add dry ingredients and beat until well mixed. You should end up with a lovely, slightly gritty thick batter. Be sure to taste and add more rum/vanilla according to your preferences. Just try not to eat the batter!

3: Pour cake batter over caramel and pineapple in pan.
    Bake cake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature, ideally with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
    This cake is fairly luscious so you don't really need much in the way of an accompanient.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Included a picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Mods, I'm not sure if this is permitted so please remove (and apologies) if not.

I was thumbing through Rachel Allen's most recent book 'Cake' the other day and saw a recipe for 30 day bran muffins. This is different to her previous 30 day muffins, the recipe for which I can find online. Some of the ingredients in the most recent recipe are agave nectar and soya milk. It sounds delicious and I really want to make it but I can't find it online. Would anyone be so kind as to post the recipe?

Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm open to correction but I don't think there's a problem with it because people share recipes in the forum all the time. I can't help with the recipe though, sorry.

Advertisement