Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't have time to type it out but I can pm you a photo of the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Thank you so so much Bobblehead Panda and Zaph! I really appreciate it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Here is my (well, my aunt's) recipe for awesome chocolate biscuit cake:

Ingredients:
    1 pack rich tea
    8oz butter
    4oz sugar
    200g chocolate (plain or 70%, whichever you prefer)
    4 tbsp cadburys drinking chocolate
    1 egg

1) Line a bread tin with parchment paper and break all the rich tea. Set aside.
    2) Melt the butter in a saucepan at low heat and add in the sugar. Stir like crazy until the sugar has dissolved in the butter, making a silky caramel (can take up to 15 mins of stirring)
    3) Take saucepan off the heat and stir for another minute. Beat an egg in a separate bowl. Once the caramel has cooled a bit (to the point that it will still cook but not scramble the egg), add and stir in the egg.
    4) Break up 100g of chocolate and add that to the caramel with the drinking chocolate. Stir and add the broken biscuits and try to coat them as much as you can.
    5) Add evenly to tin and crush down with something flat (i use the underside of another bread tin) to fill all the nooks and crannies.
    6) Microwave the remaining chocolate in a bowl in 30 second intervals (to prevent burning) and spread on top. Leave in the fridge overnight to set.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Lemon Meringue Pie i posted in the What i had for dinner last night thread! Got a few requests for recipe so here it is!

Ingredients

Pastry

150g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
    85g butter (plus extra for greasing)
    35g of icing sugar, sifted
    rind of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 egg yolk, beaten
    1 and 1/2 tbsp milk

Filling

3 tbsp cornflour
    300ml water
    juice and rind of 2 lemons
    175g caster sugar
    2 eggs separated

1. To make pastry, sift the flour into a bowl, rub in the butter with your fingertips until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
    2. Mix in the remaining pastry ingredients, turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
    3. Preheat oven to 180C/ 350F, grease a 20cm round tin Roll out the pastry to a 5mm thickness lining the tin.
    4. Prick all over with a fork, line with baking paper and fill with baking beans. bake blind in oven for 15 mins.
    5. Remove pastry case from oven and take out paper and beans, reduce oven heat to 180C/ 300F
    6.To make the filling mix the cornflour with a little of the water to form a paste,put the remaining water in a saucepan, stir in the lemon juice, lemon rind and cornflour paste.
    7. Bring to the boil stirring. Cook for 2 mins, leave to cool slightly . Stir in 5 tablespoons of the caster sugar and pour in the egg yolks. Pour into the pastry case.
    8. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, Gradually whisk in the remaining caster sugar and spread over the pie. Return to the oven and bake for a further 40 mins.
    9. Remove from the oven, leave to cool and serve!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shrey.jagma

Cinnamon Nut Ring cake is an awesome breakfast treat which is yummy to eat. For more fun, garnish the cake with strawberries and cream (whipped) over it.

Ingredients:

• 3 (200 ml) cups of flour
    • 2 medium size teaspoons - baking powder
    • 2 medium size teaspoons - cinnamon
    • ½ medium size tea-spoon - salt
    • 2 (200 ml) cups - sugar
    • 1(200 ml) cup - shortening
    • 1/4 medium size tea-spoon - almond (extract)
    • 1/4 medium size teaspoon - vanilla (extract)
    • 4 ( including white and yellow) eggs
    • 1 (200 ml) cup - milk
    • 1 (200 ml) cup - chopped walnuts

Directions:

First of all take preheat the oven to aout 350º F. Take a medium sized bowl and take ingredients - Flour (Sift), Baking powder, Cinnamon and Salt together followed by mixing them well.

With the above mixture add 2 more ingredients, 1. Sugar and 2. Shortening and again mix it well till it becomes creamy, while this process is happening, scrape bowl rarely. Beat the flour mixture and make it into rings.
    Add that 4 eggs (including white and yellow) together, one after the other and while adding beat it nicely.
    Now add milk with it and also the flour mixture in a 2 – 3 segments, however the process will begin with milk and should finish with milk. Beat the mixture within a minimum speed till all the ingredient blends together.

Fold it with walnuts.

Bake it for 1 hour 20 minutes. Conduct a test by inserting a toothpick and check whether it’s coming clean.

Allow the pan to cool for a minimum of 10 - minutes.

Take a cake plate and invert the pan over it, while removing, make sure that the outer rim alone coming out and allowing the tube inside the cake for half an hour. To release the cake out of the pan, carefully insert a metal spatula between the corner of the cake and the pan.

After half an hour slowly remove the tube from the cake and cut it into slices.

Before serving, garnish the cake with the fresh whipped cream and also with fresh fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Made these cinnamon rolls this morning and they were very tasty. I threw some sultanas into the filling and did't bother icing them. I just glazed them with egg white and sprinkled brown sugar on the top before baking. Easy to make, easy to eat with a nice pot of coffee

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2351635/simple-cinnamon-rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Here is the recipe for the Lemon and Elderflower Drizzle Cake that I made for the Boards Beers recently.

Makes one 900g loaf cake . Prep 20 minutes pllus cooling. Bake 50 minutes. Oven 160 *fan)/180c/350F/Gas Mark 4

INGREDIENTS
    Cake
    175g (6oz) butter
    175g (6oz) caster (superfine) sugar
    Zest of 2 lemons
    3 eggs, large
    160g (5 3/4 oz) self-raising flour
    Juice of 1 lemon

Drizzle
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 tbsp elderflower cordial
    110g (4oz) caster (superfine) sugar

Equipment
    900g (2lb) loaf tin
    18.5 x 11.5cm (7 x 4 1/2in)
    Electric handmixer
    Juicer
    Zester or small grater

1. Preheat the oven to 160c Fan etc etc
    Line the loaf tin with baking paper or a paper liner.

2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and mix until evenly combined. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition until the mixture is light and fluffy again.

3. Fold in the self-raising flour until the cake mix is even.

4. Finally stir through the juice of 1 lemon-don't worry if the mixture curdles, the acidity from the lemon juice will often do that.

5. Fill the loaf tin with cake mixture. Level the top roughly with the back of a spoon and bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Do check the oven after 35 minutes and if the crust is going very dark cover it with a sheet of foil for the remaining baking time.

6. Remove the cake from the oven and mix together the drizzle-lemon juice, elderflower cordial and sugar, stirring well to combined. The sugar will still be granular in the mixture.

7. Keep the caked in the tin and using a skewer prick holes right across and all round the top of the cake - aim to go three quarters of the way through the caked, not right to the base. Lots of holes are needed for the syrup to soak the caked evenly.

8. Now spoon the drizzle over the top of the caked slowly, allowing it to run down the skewered holes before adding another spoonful. Make sure you evenly cover the entire top of the cake until all the drizzle has been added. Set aside for the cake to cool completely and then remove from the tin and serve.

TIP
    The topping is designed to be crunchy-if you don't fancy the crunch heat the drizzle gently in a small pan until the syrup clears and then pour slowly over the skewered cake.

No photos. I've made it twice, both times in a rush and it didn't last long at the Boards Beers!! In fact, I didn't have elderflower cordial and I wasn't sure what to use...that had a flavour. I ultimately used some Portugese port which I had from another recipe (a Portugese christmas cake) so the topping was purple. It worked out well...

Enjoy!

Advertisement