Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID 0 Question

Options
  • 15-11-2004 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I would assume RAID 0 should only show as 1 Drive?

IF so I think I've got it st up wrong

I did a windows installl - installed 3rd party raid drivers prior to OS install (jesus it was such a hassle transferring a floppy!)

Anyway - the boot sequence shows my setup as RAID2+0 - they are both WD 8mb cache 120gb hard drives using the same IDE cable and set as master and slave. ITs a PCI raid controller and mirroring sata drives on it was fully functional - the SATA are now using the onboard raid controller

Once I go into windows, it shows two drives, with the second unformatted???

The mirror array works fine, but its a seprate controller altogether.

Is there any way to get these properly stripped without having to do a reinstall? The documentation mentions nothing about jumper settings for an IDE raid array....

I'm guessing now they may both need to be set to master, or maybe both cable select??? Ot is it normal in RAID 0 to see the drive as a 'blank'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

dont need to jumper set S-ATA drives...they're the ones you should install the OS on, as they'd be faster.

They should show as 1 drive...u press f6 or f2 or something as the windows install screen comes up (almost straight away), and install the stuff off a floppy...

You need to set up the stripe in ur motherboard bios first though, then you should see just 1 drive, and format it through the windows install (after installing drivers from floppy), and let it install.

If your seeing two drives you'll have to reinstall windows to set up RAID properly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Follow Jammer's guide and you'll be set, there should be a config set up either before the BIOS or actually in the BIOS - if all else fails reinstall windows and try again.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

yep - thats what I thought - its a PCI raid controller - hit the config options on boot for the card itself and set it to stripe - I'm guessing that they need to be CS or both master rather than master and slave - jaysus - another OS install... drag.....

I know the SATA would be better, but I need the 200gb for storage

oh well - at least I've got better performance to look forward to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

its noticeable from the first time u boot ur OS...well..u wont even know its booted...windows just appears from nowhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have 4 WD400's that I was going to set up as 0+1, but my mobo only supports sata raid, and the drives are IDE. I've seen converters which apparently don't affect performance, but I plan on having them in the 4 internal bays in my antec sonata and most of the sata converters stick out too far as the drives would be mounted across the case.

I've seen the ones I want, but I'm torn between getting them and getting a new XP92 heatsink and quiet fan + a quiet PSU and going RAID, and cash flow doesn't allow for both.

decisions, decisions!

• Advertisement
Advertisement