Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

query:UTV and P4-hts?

• 15-11-2004 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Ive finally gotten round to getting broadband and have kinda settled on broadband plus but I noticed a warning saying its not compatible with p4cpus with hyper thread technology. Anyone know anything about this? I thought considering how widespread these cpus are there must be some sort of solution to the problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i don't see any reason why UTV broadband would be incompatible with P4's with hyper threading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I've never heard of thatg before and i doubt its a problem, perhaps it means it doesnt use hyperthreading as opposed to not working with processors that hvae hyperthreading?

Even if there is a problem with the modem driver and a processor with ht you could just use an ethernet modem instead. (which is by far the better option)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

I know it struck me as bizarre but at the bottom of http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/clicksilver.asp it states:

"The USB modem is not compatible with the Pentium 4 processor with Hyper Threading. It is advised that you contact our support team if you have this chip."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Belisarius wrote:
    I know it struck me as bizarre but at the bottom of http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/clicksilver.asp it states:

"The USB modem is not compatible with the Pentium 4 processor with Hyper Threading. It is advised that you contact our support team if you have this chip."

You can request an ethernet modem from UTV for the payment of an extra fee of €50. In the longer term this is a better choice as it gives you more options regarding the use of a router and so on.

(I have a definite recollection of a postingin the UTV support group about something relating to the driver being upgraded for the usb modem but I cant find it now it might be worth contact UTV directly to see if the proviso about the usb modem is still in force)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

not sure if this would work, but you could also disable hyper-threading from the BIOS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

I have been using the usb modem with ht for the last 6 months with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

Cremo wrote:
    i don't see any reason why UTV broadband would be incompatible with P4's with hyper threading

From UTV FAQ - http://u.tv/support/ans.asp?id=469&category=broadband&region=ie

Question: I have a Pentium 4 processor with Hyper Threading, are there any compatibility issues with this?

Answer: There are known issues with this processor and USB devices, which require updated drivers. As it stands the Zyxel P630-11 and P630-C1 are currently not compatible with the processor while hyperthreading is enabled but we are currently waiting for updated drivers for the P630-C1 modem that should address this issue. Unfortunately Zyxel are not developing further drivers for the P630-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

dub45 wrote:
    You can request an ethernet modem from UTV for the payment of an extra fee of €50. In the longer term this is a better choice as it gives you more options regarding the use of a router and so on.
    I wish I'd known this before I started my UTV trial this week. In the weeks I was waiting to be connected and to receive my modem, I ordered a wireless router so I can use my 802.11 laptop anywhere in the house. However, now I'm stuck with a crappy USB modem, and no WiFi. Why do they not say this outright? False advertising to me. The others seem to give 'real' (ethernet enabled) modems. Pissed off with UTV already.

Advertisement