Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kanu's miss - the worst ever

• 15-11-2004 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

i think this deserves a thread of it's own, having seen it time and time again now it just gets worse and worse. how the hell could he miss from 1 yard out with literally an empty net in front of him?????

i know giggs got stick for that famous miss were he cleared the keeper then skyed it from about 10/15 yards but this was worse. it was simply the worst miss ive EVER seen.

it's hard to believe he'll get paid thousands this week for that. you'd be ashamed going into collect your weeks wages after that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It was a dreadful miss alright but I think ones like Ronny Rosenthal(for Liverpool , it was shown on SSN) are harder to miss as the player is in full control of the ball and setting minself up to striker it where as Kanu was hit a cross and somehow managed to stub it into the ground and it bounced over .

Dreadful miss .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Ronnie Rosenthal playing for Liverpool.

During the 1993/4 season, Mr Rosenthal Lined up for Liverpool against Aston Villa. he hit the bar facing a open net.

enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I switched the game on waiting for the Newcastle - Man United game and I caught the last few minutes. I could not believe he missed that one. The chances of anybody missing from there must be quite high.

The Ronenthal miss was class :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Its defo the Ronny Rosenthal miss, remember watchin it that day with me da, funny scenes in the pub indeed. Thing was, Ronny was superb for Liverpool at that time, think he score about 6 in his first 4 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hehehe in the photo in the Evening Herald (sorry it was all that was left in the Garage!) poor old Kanu looked so depressed I hope Robson put him on suicide watch after the match :D

One hell of a miss tbh !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ryan Giggs had a miss identical to Rocket Ronnie's, didnt he? He may have even cleared the crossbar. Might even have been against Arsenal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

didnt the ball hit off him rather than him hit the ball

couldnt believe it myself watching it though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

this is a moronic thread take offensive it needs be for starting it the ball hit off him and in fairness one thing you can generally not fault kanu on is his control - it was a once off

silly thread
    who cares??/>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I myself came on here to mention the Rosenthal miss but it's already been mentioned about 6 times anyway. So I guess that proves that RR's has always (AND WILL ALWAYS probably) be the greatest miss in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote:

yes but events more fresh in peoples mind are often likely to be favoured when choosing in things like this , and considering Rosenthal got the same percent as Kanu and Kanu's being more recent , I think RR can be taken to be the worse miss . Although you never know what the 25% who voted for Giggs will think , but his miss was more like RR than Kanu's so.........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Ears wrote:
    yes but events more fresh in peoples mind are often likely to be favoured when choosing in things like this , and considering Rosenthal got the same percent as Kanu and Kanu's being more recent , I think RR can be taken to be the worse miss .
    I disagree. I think there's a lot of nostalgic heads out there that are biased towards anything older. People just love to be able to say "I seen that" or "I seen him play in his prime", etc. That is why very few players from the last decate get voted in the polls for the top 20, 50 or so greatest players.

Anyway, not that it matters. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    very few players from the last decate get voted in the polls for the top 20, 50 or so greatest players.

I think part of that is players don't realy seem to be classified as legends until they retire .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What about Luque's miss against Barcelona last season?
    Pretty much the same scenario, open goal, half a yard or so out, crossed in to him and he hit it over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

forlan against juve (i think) during the american tour was pretty awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Juan Pablo Angel's header that went over the bar from all of 6 yards and an empty goal after David James saved his penalty in Villa's 0-2 loss to Man. City on Saturday has to go down as a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The fella for Scunthorpe who missed a header from on line this weekend was probably worse than Kanu however not as important as Scunthorpe were 2-1 up at the time and coasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

astrofool wrote:
    forlan against juve (i think) during the american tour was pretty awful

That is easily the worst miss of all time, way worse than Kanu or RR !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Forlans miss against Juve was hilarious. But Ronnie Rosentals was just as bad. Rosental was standing in front of the goal about 5 yards out. Plus Forlans miss was in a preseason friendly and United were already a goal or two too the good. Rosentals meant something.

Did anyone see the og that guy scored in one of the fa cup early rounds this year. It was unbelievable. The ball was trickling over the line at about a mile a day and the guy had all the time in the world. He pannicked and tried to kick it out of touch and sliced it into the top corner of his own net. It was class. Anyone have a link or even know the name of the team he was playing for? They showed it on football focus about a month ago. Gordon Strachan and Mak "Momen" Lawro were bustin their asses laughing at him. Soooo Funny

Advertisement