Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did your PC Handle HL2?

Options
  • 16-11-2004 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

What with all the excitement around about Half Life 2, just wondering how your pc /cpu/Graphics Card/ Memory ran it?

Now overall im not too bothered except the one sticking point my graphics cards, its pretty ancient , gefore mmx440 (yes you can feel the steam power!) so just wondering how everyone else's systems are going to hold up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

People are going to admit in here to playing the illegal leaked version, since the game isn't out yet? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

dunno if CS:S stress test is anything to go by, but im getting about 95ish fps with the new 4.12 betas in 1280x1024 no AA or AF...and no im not expecting 95 on HL2 ...benchies look like i could be good for 45-50ish

only played on a reallllyyy old beta...just a load of plain rooms really, nothing to go by :confused:

that cards gonna get raped btw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Graphics seem to be fine with no major problems on my GF4, just the occasional fps issue... as can be expected.

As for the sound, it tends to stutter from time to time especially in dialogs, but I've seen a lot of complaints about this and it seems to be down to the autosave issue..

mine be running sweet as a nut! :D

no slow down AT ALL with 1280x1024 everything MAX...auto saves a bit annoying at times but nah i wont complain ...its HL2!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

2400 Processor, 1Gb of RAM and a 9600XT Ultimate. Very jerky with everything on high. Loading points take ages. May turn down my settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Runs perfectly with everything on in 1024* (aint tried anything higher).

Perfectly is 1--+ in most areas but down as low as 60 in large open areas. That said im not complaining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Perfect fps, no slowdown at all so far. Get an average of 60-100fps. My only gripe is the long loading times between areas even with a fast processor and RAID 0 and the way it jerks after it loads as if it doesn't have enough ram and has to reload the weapon models as i select them. I think another 512mb of RAM would solve that problem though.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Just playing HL2 on my mates pc which i built him :D , he's getting between 70-80 fps usually, he has a p4 2.8 oc'd to 3.4 1gig pc4300 ram, 9800pro 128meg oc'd etc, hes running hl2 @ 1280x1024 everything up full except no AA or AF, pretty good i think, i havnt tested HL2 on my rig yet, been busy and havnt had a chance, will let u know when i test it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Like butter :) 1600x1200 8af 4aa Valve Stress Test 100+fps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

still haven't had a chance to play, looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement

Im running HL2 @ 1600x1200, EVERYTHING up full at 72fps ingame

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

are many/any people playing it with AA or AF on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bleh, not too bad really.

800x600
    AA = off
    AF = Trilinear
    Reflect = World
    Everything else = High
    Silky smooth fps.

XP2600@2.06GHz
    Radeon 9600pro
    768MB DDR 3200
    XPproSP1

I jacked it up to 1600x1200 and everything full, and my cl_showfps readout was a rock solid ZERO. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

running excellent....768 ddr rram, 2.8ghz(not even o.clocked) geforce 5600ultra. runnin at 1024*768.

Load times during games is about 10 to 15 secs sometimes 20. After these load times it stutters for about 10 secs, but other than that no probs.(THANK U LORD)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

1600x1200 Everything on full with 6xAA and 8xAF runs at nearly 100fps all the time :D

got it on my nice new swanky sata drive..loading times have dropped big times each level loads in...4-5 seconds sweeeeet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

nice beatfreak :)

i got all full on 1024* and it runs very smooth (doubt tis at 100fps tho).

Aint checked exact fps or a higher res as id say my gf card will start to struggle.

BeatFreak wrote:
    1600x1200 Everything on full with 6xAA and 8xAF runs at nearly 100fps all the time :D
    What spec is your machine?

quarryman wrote:
    are many/any people playing it with AA or AF on?
    AA - 6x and AF - 16x

P4C @ 3.9 and a X800XT at stupid speeds (I can't remember exactly well beyond PE anyways) and the Latest DNA drivers. I'm hoping this new H2O kit will push it up to 4ghz. For extra ooommpff :)

• Advertisement

Nice rig is that a 3.2 or 3.4 p4 u are using?? u on air cooling at d mo???

It's the 3.2 and no it's H2O but it's only a Asetek Antartica with a small pump and a 120mm rad. I've got a new kit on it's way to me atm made up of a mix of components mostly DangerDen but everything is going to be bigger so I'm expecting a nice increase in performance and less noise :D

Nice, danger den stuff is supposed to be the best of the best, should be good. Im waiting on gettin the new thermaltake watercooler for my graphics card, the evercool one i have the tank is cracked at the top so the waterlevel drops quickly due to evaporation. The new thermaltake big water kit looks about as good as u can get for under 100 euro. its only for my gpu so i should be fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

mmm

2400, 512, 6800 128 (non ultra or gt)

1024x768, bilinear, medium graphics, medium models, no aa or af, eveything else high

mostly 50fps plus, but it can drop

my crap motherboard is what im thinking it is.......

or ram? maybe another 512meg mite boost those fps, it did for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

*noob question alert* :)

What is AA and AF and what difference does it make to the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

AA is antialiasing, makes jagged edges look smooth. The higher AA is the smoother it looks.

AF is anisotropic filtering, makes textures look more clear. The higher this is the more filtering is done, ie. with no AF only the textures very close to your viewpoint look clear, with high AF the textures look clear even from a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

i hv 64bit 3500 with grforce gt and online i get 40 to 70 well pissed off but appernetly this is an issuie with nvidia cards :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

AA is antialiasing, makes jagged edges look smooth. The higher AA is the smoother it looks.

AF is anisotropic filtering, makes textures look more clear. The higher this is the more filtering is done, ie. with no AF only the textures very close to your viewpoint look clear, with high AF the textures look clear even from a distance.

Thanks mate :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement