Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Breeze or Ripwave

• 16-11-2004 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

hi all,

i can't connect to eircon/esatbt bb, it really is a pain because i live just off SCR and my friends who live on SCR proper (just roughly 500m from my house) can get it!

so i plan to get ibb, but which 1? breeze or ripwave? i've seen some threads saying breeze was better & reliable, is this so? how about ripwave? any guys using these 2 can give an opinion?

also there's 5 of us in this house (we're all students!) and plan to share the connection, is this possible?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

breeze, dear god breeze

u can split the connection over a router

I have breeze myself and after an initial issue am happy enough with it

I was sceptical of all the abuse ripwave has got here but I went to a friends house couple weeks and saw it first hand and it was shockingly bad.Crap speed the whole time,frequent disconnections,ridiculous conditions to getting a reasnable connection.Appeared a joke to me and seems others here are experiencing similar...

As above though breeze is pretty ok these dayz...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

breeze is the best bet tbh, especially if you have 5 people to share the cost, its a 1meg up and down connection iirc and if you are eligible then it would be much more reliable than ripwave (at the moment especially).

If you buy a router you can share the connection with all the people in your house, I haven't seen any 5 port routers (they must exist surely) but a 4 port router and a hub/switch will do the job too, so there are definitely no problems there.

If you do decide to go for breeze, keep on their backs, there have been a few people here who's applications went *missing*, so make sure to keep in touch and be straight with them and let them know that you want to know if there is a problem so you can help them fix it (with the application process that is).

HTH
    Baz_

P.S. Sorry about the tla's but I'm tired and I'm going to bed, cba typing long hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Baz_ wrote:
    breeze is the best bet tbh, especially if you have 5 people to share the cost
    Totally agree. For a tenner a month each you should all get a pretty quick and reliable service - at least that is my experience so far.
    Do you all intend using your own PCs or do you plan to share? If you all have your own PCs or Laptops then you might want to consider a wireless router & cards... Quite affordable these days and much more flexible than a wired setup. Mine works an absolute treat with IBB Breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

wanwarlock wrote:
    hi all,

i can't connect to eircon/esatbt bb, it really is a pain because i live just off SCR and my friends who live on SCR proper (just roughly 500m from my house) can get it!

so i plan to get ibb, but which 1? breeze or ripwave? i've seen some threads saying breeze was better & reliable, is this so? how about ripwave? any guys using these 2 can give an opinion?

also there's 5 of us in this house (we're all students!) and plan to share the connection, is this possible?

cheers
    I had ripwave, didnt work well at all, if you are happy with a very slow, always cuttting off, sometimes not available net connection, then ripwave is for you. I just got breeze yesterday and im happy so far, pretty quick, though it was slow enough lasnite, time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

thanx to all that replied. seems like we're going to get breeze.

just wondering about the installation + connection charge, do they come and install the 'antenna' for me then? 150 is quite a lot for us stingy students...

• Advertisement

Yep they come and install it, i dont think that is much for an insstallation charge, considering they install everything and the equipment probably costs a bit

just called them for an application form. they said it's gonna take like 3-4 weeks after receiving the form because of a lot of ppl signing up.

hopefully to get it before christmas!!!

Read my thread about waiting times http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2067040#post2067040

youll be lucky to get it before christmas

remember reading ur thread last night b4 posting mine.

glad u had it installed!!!

hmmm... let's see how long they're gonna make me wait... heheheh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

You know theres a 12 month contract with the Breeze home package?

Just in case it might be an issue.

• Advertisement

you could be lucky, you might get it within 4 weeks or less

machalla wrote:
    You know theres a 12 month contract with the Breeze home package?

Just in case it might be an issue.

that's ok, i don't really mind, i'm probably staying in this housefor at least another year!

Well hopefully u will have it within a year , lol:D

Advertisement