Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless alarms

Options
  • 16-11-2004 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

The house I am in at the mo is pre wired for an alarm but was thinking of sticking in some seperate pir detector jobbies. Just wondering if A) can you get an alarm which can be both hardwired and wireless(to take those extra pir's) and B) if not and we go for a total wireless jobbie how reliable are they?. Do they work on the 2.4ghz freq and with out sounding all hollywood would it be easy for someone to block the signal if they were trying to break in

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How are you going to power the PIRs in a wireless system?

The system will need to be certified and that certificate should be enough. Wireless may have problems in some locations, e.g. lots of metal surfaces, very think walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Not really sure Victor, there has been ads on the radio about eircom's wireless alarm systems and I presumed these kits included pir's. The places I was thinking of putting them(Kitchen/Hallway) should'nt bee a problem with juice but was more interested if anyone had one and how good are they

Cubix

Most burglars are bright enough to think of jamming an alarm. If they know how to jam an alarm, I imagine they would be targetting more than just Joe Bloggs.
    cubix wrote:
    Not really sure Victor, there has been ads on the radio about eircom's wireless alarm systems and I presumed these kits included pir's. The places I was thinking of putting them(Kitchen/Hallway) should'nt bee a problem with juice but was more interested if anyone had one and how good are they
    They are effective, but more importantly you have a monitoring service (there are others - AMS, Chubb, etc.). Be aware of monitoring, mainanence and call out charges.

I suspect the ad. may be "blurry" and that they use the wiring installed by the builder for the most part.

http://www.phonewatch.ie/residential/residential_frameset.html
    CALL 1850 500 900 for details on our special offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Any alarm system can have wireless add ons. All you need is a wireless PIR and a reciever which connects to your alarm panel. Use any panel from the likes of HKC Aritech etc and get the wireless gear from Visonic or somebody like that
    Europlex have a hybrid panel out at the moment but I think the wireless option is not comming out until next year along with a SMS dialler.

Apart from that I'd always run the wires. You can hide the wires easy enough and wireless is fairly expensive anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Are you in the game yourself JNealon or just well informed?,IF you have any links to forums/sites I would appreciate them as i am trying to do a bit of research.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Real

Jnealon.

Can you or do you know anyone that will fit a wired alarm in my house? I am in Dublin 15. My house is prewired and I have the alarm system. All I need is someone to fit it. Its an hours work and a handy nixer.
    Please PM me if you know anyone that would be interested :D

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Jnealon - Who are 'Visonic'?

I need to get a few wireless bits to complete a system which has an aritec 350 panel.
    The 'bright spark' who wired the new house only allowed for pir's and absolutely no door or window wired fittings. Its a pain as the alarm cannot be used when the house is occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

http://www.visonic.com/ or with prices http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Alarm_Index/Wireless_index/Visonic_1/index.html

Aritech also do some wireless stuff but I'm not too familiar with it. One thing I do know is that each sensor will cost you around €60 and then you have to get a reciever aswell.

If it's a new house with the plasterboard walls it should be fairly easy to run the wires to the windows. If it's a bungalow it would be even easier. That would be your best and cheapest option. Also with the cs350 you should be able to do a part set (if installer programmed it) by pressing 0 ! 7 (! being the arrow that points down). This should allow you to walk around upstairs and leave downstairs on or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Victor wrote:
    Most burglars are bright enough to think of jamming an alarm. If they know how to jam an alarm, I imagine they would be targetting more than just Joe Bloggs.

Not quite that simple Victor ;) Like everything technology is always advancing and most good quality wireless panels know when they are being jammed and depending on they way they are programmed they will either go into a full alarm or a tamper alarm.

Sorry, that should read "Most burglars aren't bright enough to think of jamming an alarm."

• Advertisement
Advertisement