Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 9 of SG-1 and Season 2 of Atlantis picked up!

Options
  • 16-11-2004 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Too lazy to say much, go to www.gateworld.net and check their headlines. Me sleep now, with Season 9 in my dreams :D

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yay that's good news and something I could chant "Four more years!" with enthusiasm.

SG-1 will now tie with The X-Files for longest running US sci-fi show. The latter, AFAIK, topped out at 201 installments whereas SG-1, with 20 episodes for Season 9, should come at 194. I'm not all that surprised, to be honest, given SG-1 has consistently been a ratings winner for Sci-Fi. The only downer for SG-1 is that the cast hasn't been confirmed yet. RDA (O'Neill) will probably only be in a handful of episodes and Amanda Tapping (Carter) has a new baby, so she'll be away looking after it probably seeing her in a reduced role. This may lead to new characters being introduced or somesuch. No word yet.

SGA, on the other hand, has all its cast signed up for returning. With 11 episodes in the shared universe, SG is doing impressively well.

And now I sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i woke up late have to go to town to buy HL2 i took today off work for it
    i dont want to dl it off steam cause then i wouldent have a box and that would make no sence

this is great news for SG1 and SGA it means they will probbley push back the sg1 movie tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Bleh, they really should just let Stargate end gracefully. There is nothing I hate more when it comes to series, than bringing in a new cast.

Thats what spin-offs are for.

If RDA wants out, you should respect his wishes and just let it go.
    He's the main attraction to the show, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Bring back Jonas Quinn!

X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Its not always about the cast. I want to see the how the whole power and political structure of the galaxy develops as earth becomes more and more capable. I want to see the Gaould crushed and destroyed. I want to see fleets of x3-03's. I want loads of new tech, and maybe answers to who/what the Ancients were and why they disappeared.

While watching RDA & co is a major thing, sometimes the story is more important.

• Advertisement

I'm with Boro on this one. The show has evolved from just being about O'Neill and the gang exploring P3X-whatever each week. The scale of it is a lot bigger - particularly with the constant threat of Baal or whomever leads the System Lords. Whilst one of the attractions of the show is the coziness and familiarity of the cast, I think we can live through a few minor changes as we shift the focus to the big scale.

What we can see then is big X303s, more mysteries of the Ancients, meet those damn Furlings, defeat the System Lords, work out the problem of the rejuvenated Replicators, free all Jaffa and make an accord with the Tok'ra, stop the various NID offshoots from their political machinations on earth, et etc. and that's not to mention the smaller plot lines that have cropped up (I'm still expecting to meet Jack's implied child from "100 Days"). There's more than enough there to flesh out a ninth season and, if you want, wind down or continue on for a tenth (c'mon let's beat "The X-Files!")

As to replacing cast or whatever, yeah Jonas Quinn is an option but he's more of a standin for Daniel and Michael Shanks isn't going anywhere, AFAIK. I guess, having a science background, he could fill in for Carter but we could also see some of the bumbling scientists featured in episodes like "The Other Guys".
    O'Neill just needs to stay in base, or perhaps we could see him working with Davis, a fan favourite. Or maybe a fresh recruit from "Proving Ground" or some other episode.

I believe, given the breadth of the show, there's still plenty of stories to be told and lately my interest in the show has been rejuvenated. We'll see how it all pans out but I'm glad it IS getting the chance to pan out. I didn't feel this way when the X-Files got its tiresome ninth season but I'm more hopeful this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Daniel Shanks' wife is having a baby fairly soon :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Daniel Shanks' wife is having a baby fairly soon :P
    His name is Michael Shanks, and his wife (Lexa Doig from Andromeda) had the baby several months ago :P

And Michael already has another daughter with his ex-wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Michael Shanks is married to Lexa Doig from Andromeda? :eek:

that jammy bas****!

Now I really want Jonas Quinn back! :p

X

danials wife in SG1 is the same person as his wife in real life (i think)

• Advertisement

User45701 wrote:
    danials wife in SG1 is the same person as his wife in real life (i think)
    That's almost right. He met Vaitiare Bandera on set, who played Sha're (originally played by Mili Avital in the movie.). They lived together, but didn't marry, and had a kid named Tatiana.

They then broke up and he then married Lexa Doig on 2nd August 2003. I'm assuming he met her on the set of 'Andromeda' as he guest-starred in an episode that would've been made early 2003. He recently, 13th September, had a daughter with Lexa whom he named Mia Tabitha Shanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

His name is Michael Shanks, and his wife (Lexa Doig from Andromeda) had the baby several months ago :P

And Michael already has another daughter with his ex-wife.
    *slaps self*

Wasn't thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'm happy to see another season of SG1. Having watched a couple of SG:A episodes [10 & 11] I cant say I was that impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ixoy wrote:
    I'm assuming he met her on the set of 'Andromeda' as he guest-starred in an episode that would've been made early 2003.

Actually the other way around, they became an item and following that, he got the guest spot on Andromidea.

Gerard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    *slaps self*

Wasn't thinking
    Don't worry. Even one of the (God awful) SG-1 novels had an error in it. The author called Sam "Amanda Carter"... the author had actually never even watched the show IIRC :P

thats just sad

Advertisement