Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re Mortgage

Options
  • 16-11-2004 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just completed my first years mortgage and have been advised that my fixed rate is now over. The new rates on offer seem high. What im looking to find out is if its benificial to remortgage with another company to avail of a lower interest rate?
    Any help would be great, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What rate are you on, and with what lender?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't forget to factor in any charges that such a change would undoubtedly attract. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭smarten31

I would just take up the "variable" option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

tracker mortgages are the only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

would one be able to shift from a 'standard' rate (say, with IIB) to a 'tracker' rate without much trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

jay567 wrote:
    Hi all,

What im looking to find out is if its benificial to remortgage with another company to avail of a lower interest rate?
    Any help would be great, cheers!

The reason the rates you're being offered look so high now is because the initial 1 year fixed rate that you were offered was so low in order to get your business. It's hard to say whether it would be beneficial or not without knowing what lender you're with, and what your monthly repayments are. If you're thinking about remortgaging don't forget that you have to involve a solicitor to look after the conveyancing and that isn't cheap. Some lenders use 'Title Insurance' which will keep legal costs to €985. On the other hand, Ulster Bank use Title Insurance but they pay the €985 for you (but you have to use a solicitor from a panel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Hi all,

Im with Permanent TSB, fixed 1st year rate is now over. The next cheapest offer is Variable @ 3.55.
    My plan was to switch lender to avail of the 1st year low rate, still would save more than 1000 euro i think, once costs dont exceed 1000.

Am i right, or just dreaming? Any advise welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

jay567 wrote:
    Hi all,

Im with Permanent TSB, fixed 1st year rate is now over. The next cheapest offer is Variable @ 3.55.
    My plan was to switch lender to avail of the 1st year low rate, still would save more than 1000 euro i think, once costs dont exceed 1000.

So if your legal fees cost you a minimum of €985 (Ulster Bank excepted), you'll be saving €15 for the year or are you saying that your gross saving would be €2,000 before costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

i think its a little over 2000, before costs.

Advertisement