Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting DDS4 20/40GB Tapes... HELP!!!

Options
  • 16-11-2004 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I am presently setting up Back-Up exec on a server here, but I am having problems running it properly.

As a process of elimination, I want to confirm that my tape drive (Archive Python 06408-XXX) is functioning properly, by backing up on a blank tape.

HOWEVER, I only have the one tape that came as a sample with the server (Dell Poweredge 2600) and I want to format it.

There doesn't appear to be anything in the OS to format it properly, and there doesn't appear to be anything in BackUp Exec (but I am going to keep looking in the manual after I type this).

I'd appreciate any assistance anybody can offer.

Iceman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

For completion,
    I'll describe what I have come up with, in case somebody else faces the same problem (unlikely, but there's always a chance)

I am using Veritas BackUp Exec v8.5.

1. The Python 06408-XXX SCSI Sequential Device (from Seagate) will not allow the user to Format the tape.

2. As an alternative, one can erase the information on the tape. Here is the line of action one should take. It also has problems which I have outlined
    • Select the Devices Tab along the bottom of the GUI in BackUp Exec v8.5
    • Select the drive with which you want to format the tape.
    • Insert the tape to be formatted/erased.
    • Select the Drive, right click and go down to Erase
    • Select Quick Erase.

Note: Quick erase is selected as Long erase is not supported. The difference is simple - Long Erase completely removes all data from the tape - Quick Erase writes a declaration to the start of the tape which flags everything after the declaration as being "scratch".

3. This is as far I have gone. I have not rewritten to the tape, so I will make a final post to say whether the action I have taken was successful.

I hope somebody, somewhere will find this useful.

Regards
    Iceman

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In BackupExec you can also "Label" the media which does the same job of wiping the header but leaves the same name on the tape - handy if you number them.

In Arcserve It's erase too.

NB. if using DLT tapes, the Vs80 drives will NOT erase a tape once it's been used in almost any other Drive - it's a hardware limitation. Something to do with using weaker magnetic field than the other drives.

Advertisement