Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band Aid 3

Options
  • 16-11-2004 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Heard the new "Do they know it's Christmas" this morning on Radio driving into work, tbh sounded a bit bland to me, maybe i'm getting old but I much prefered the original 1984 version. and I found it difficult to recognise some of the so called "stars" in the new version and come on Dizzee rascal (spelling) rapping through the song, WTF!!!

Anybody got any views on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Heard all the fuss about Bonos line. That prick from The Darkness was crapping on about being better than Bono. What an asswipe. The Darkness are getting away with murder, they are absolute ****e.

Rant over, as for Dizzie Rascal, don't get me started !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

A rap in the song, ah whats wrong with the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ive always hated that feckin song

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Highlander wrote:
    Heard the new "Do they know it's Christmas" this morning on Radio driving into work, tbh sounded a bit bland to me,

Exactly what I thought. I just heard it on the radio 5 minutes ago. It was terrible. It was like listening to a bad karaoke version of the song, where you say to yourself, 'that's not supposed to be how it sounds'.There's no atmoshere in the song, no 'Christmas' sound to it. Disappointing to say the least. I know it's for charity and all, but you can't mess with a classic. The news last night practically guaranteed a Christmas number 1. I'm not so sure.

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

It should have been respected musicians only. I heard that busted were involved. I hope its not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

daram wrote:
    It should have been respected musicians only. I heard that busted were involved. I hope its not true.

I'm afraid so. Here's the info on new and old bands...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3957637.stm

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

eh? - the original had loads of disposable pop acts on it (Marilyn anyone?).

the idea is to make money - far more kids will go out and buy it because of Busted than boring ****s like Snow Patrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Aye, it's not bloody high art. It'll sell more with Busted on it than if Einsturzende Neubaten were to do a version consisting entirely of hammers hitting different sized girders, even if that might be slightly more artsy. It's about getting money to help feed starving people. I'd still buy it if it had every crap boy/girl band from the last 10 years on it.

My little nugget:

DONT BUY IT. ITS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF TOSH I'VE HEARD ALL YEAR. A SERIOUS THUMBS DOWN.

At least in the original, you had a feeling the artists actually cared about what they were singing about. You know that "emotion" thing. They had anger, disgust and most of all, hope in the original. Chris Martin couldn't angry if you ran his toe over in your gas-guzzling car, Bono just sounds tired and bored, the guitar solo is absolutely awful and Dizzee, I actually don't have that much a problem with, but who I do have serious issues with are KEANE. God I hate them so much. they put back music by about 20 years. Anyway,

I'm really disappointed to say the least.

But the one thing that really annoys me about this single is the fact that all the "artists" are doin it for "char-i-dee". Which in this modern day and age has to be the worst excuse in music. The free publicity for any b(l)and taking part in this will be well worth the 15 minutes it took to record.

Why couldn't all these "great" songwriters have joined together and wrote something new? Or would that been too much of a challenge?

Is there a petition anywhere to scrap this new version and re-release the old one? Have a little head to head for x-mas no.1. That would guarantee loadsa money for "char-i-dee" and at the same time put these new whippersnappers back in their place!

loyatemu wrote:

eh? - the original had loads of disposable pop acts on it (Marilyn anyone?).

the idea is to make money - far more kids will go out and buy it because of Busted than boring ****s like Snow Patrol.

Ah gimme a break mate, Snow Patrol are ten times the "band" Busted are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I don't think the point he was making was that Busted are a better band :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Papa Smut wrote:
    Why couldn't all these "great" songwriters have joined together and wrote something new? Or would that been too much of a challenge?

Yeah that's the first thing I thought of when I heard they were doing a re-release!.

Did anybody hear the ever so slightly dizzy Joss Stone on the Radio yesterday mistakenly calling Bob Geldof "Gandalf"?? It was so funny. :D
    Like c'mon FFS, I know she's young but how can she not know who Bob Geldof is?? :rolleyes:

B.

[QUOTE=BaZmODid anybody hear the ever so slightly dizzy Joss Stone on the Radio yesterday mistakenly calling Bob Geldof "Gandalf"?? It was so funny. :D
    Like c'mon FFS, I know she's young but how can she not know who Bob Geldof is?? :rolleyes:

B.[/QUOTE]

So true but its because she doesn't really care :mad: They make me so UGH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ffs it is a charity song
    they are never good

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mossy Monk wrote:
    they are never good

The original was....mainly because it was original!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mossy Monk wrote:
    ffs it is a charity song
    they are never good

I disagree. The first 'Help' Album in aid of War Child was class. Granted it was mainly covers but an excellent album.

KevIRL wrote:
    I disagree. The first 'Help' Album in aid of War Child was class. Granted it was mainly covers but an excellent album.

Agree with you there.

Saw Josh Stone on Frank Skinner the other night, absolute rubbish, she can hardly string a sentence together, I know shes only 16 or whatever but all the same...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Celeb

Is there any links about, so I can listen to the song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

They had Thom Yorke on piano and Johnny Greenwood on guitar, I would have thought that to be a plus....I would have expected a bit more but they did have an awful lot of disposable acts on there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

An excellent marketing strategy would have been to sell the standard version of the single for a fiver or a 'special edition' of the single (sans CD) for a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

While I agree with the charitable aspect of this venture 100%, In the same breath I disagree with the re-release of this classic. As others have said the original had feeling and caught the times it was recorded in.

It's so typical of today's music industry to try and rehash older or classic tracks simply in order to cash in on great songwriting, whilst simultaneously making complete sh*te of that track. It's also typical of todays bunch of spolied brat bands/singers to want to get in on a project like this, simply for the brownie points in scores them with their potential fanbase. I find it hard to believe 90% of them even know what's going on in Sudan or elsewhere.

Needless to say this will storm to No.1 in the UK (and hence here) and we'll all be very tired of listening to it come mid december.
    I'd appeal now to anyone considering buying this simply for the charity aspect to instead make some sort of direct donation, perhaps to the SSF or something equlally worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,930 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Awful awful awful awful awful.... to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Heard it this morning on the way in - what a load of rubbish!!

Its absolutely terrible!! Will still buy it though coz its for charity, but I can safely say I wont be putting it in the stereo =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

buy ray darcy's new cd if you want to buy something for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I dont get this idea ill buy it cause the money goes to charity what uter rubbish just give the x amount you would have spend on a cd to charity the whole amount will go to charity instead of having to cover the cost of the cd etc.

And this dont mess around with a classic rubbish as well the origonal was mind numbing stab your ear drums out bad. An the idea the act of today have less respect then the first lot that did it i also disagree with the acts today only want publicity and caouldnt care less but the same can be said for the origonal participants bar maybe one or two.

As the always upbeat Morrissey said recently
    "one can have a great concern for the people of Ethiopia, but it's another thing to inflict daily torture on the people of England"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

disgraceful remake. the rap in it just completely and truely destroys it. woeful 'attempt' which is what it is. the original was and still is a classic, something stirring in it, this current one is a load of rubbish and is far too dead/slow.

Advertisement