Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smashing pumpkins

Options
  • 16-11-2004 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

let us unite to give praise...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i loved them but can't listen to there stuff just reminds me of X bf from 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

thats harsh. my bf is obsessed with billy corgan (he's actually the reason i put up this thread - now i only have to teach him how to post here!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, they were ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

'ok' being an understatement!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Saw them in the SFX and they were brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

'ok' being an understatement!
    not really, they're were simply ok at best - and having seeing them live, no big loss since they broke up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alternate DJ

pumkins like so rock i love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ok I suppose, nothing extraordinary about them except Corgan sounded like a dying cat......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

BolBill wrote:
    Ok I suppose, nothing extraordinary about them except Corgan sounded like a dying cat......
    Thats why he was so great! :)
    I love them, have since I was small and always will as far as I can see. Damn you all, I'm upset again now! :(:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

They were a band who have put out more than a few good songs in their time, and I do own quite a few of their albums myself, but I certianly wouldn't call great. And Corgans voice was fine, nothing wrong with it really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

I liked them... Mainly the Siamese dream era..... that's the only Pumpkins that really sticks with me... The vocals are a bit of an aquired taste. The highlights for me would have been some great drumming and lyrics.... as a band though it has to be said that they were talented songwriters and musicians.. eg: songs like Tonight, Tonight. Meh......

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bumblebeemouth

Yeah pumpkins ****in rocked in their day, still my fav band!! Could go on for ages about how amazing siamese dream is, but i wont :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Gish and Siamese Dream were quality albums, particularly the latter. Mellon Collie should have been a single album and the self-indulgent other half should have been binned.

I was at that concert in the point where the girl was killed (sorry, I forget her name) and it was madness up at the front. They played a great set though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Great band, still one of my favourites. Siamese Dream is the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

impr0v wrote:

I was at that concert in the point where the girl was killed (sorry, I forget her name) and it was madness up at the front.

...Bernadette O'Brien, RIP.
    was up there myself, v frightening stuff.

Best gig they played here was defo the SFX double in '95,
    i was there the night Whipping Boy supported, incredible atmosphere, rocked :D

last gig was a bit of a let down alright, not enough classic tunes.
    but Billy Corgan is simply a genius!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was at the Point too that gig - it was mental! reat gig aside from that very unfortunate mishap (which would never had happened if the security people had just been doing their jobs).

Anyway, the Pumpkins for me remind me of a time of my life that I look back at with very happy memories - it was when I started to learn guitar (so I know loads of their songs) and I got into my first band and so on. Happy, care-free days (we're talking 10 years ago people).

Musically, they're excellent - Chamberlain's drums stick out as does Corgan's guitar play. Lyrically, they're cool - strange without being completely obscure. Vocally, I quite like it. The man has an insane range and can hit a hell of a lot of notes in a hell of a lot of ways (he can sing, scream and growl).

My favourite album remains is (and shall forever remain) Siamese Dream. D'arcy is fierce sexy. Melissa auf der Mann (that's her name isn't it?) was right to leave Hole to play for just one tour. James Iha never did much for me musically - a grand guitar player, but alway 2nd fiddle to Billy.

Did anyone pick up Machina II? It was only really out on the internet cause Billy stole it from Virgin (they'd recorded something like 25 vynil copies or something ridiculous like that) and gave it to the people who ran the fan sites. I have it if anyone fancies a copy - I don't think copyright or piracy is an issue since the band themselves that leaked it, but I could be wrong :) As an album it's a nice kind of cross section of all their styles and influences - all new songs as far as I can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Malissa auf der Mar?

I have machina 2 but I dont think its that special. A few good songs, thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Maur, but that's beside the point... she was no D'Arcy (pre-lipjob).

While I don't approve of these GBS type threads, it's the Pumpkins so I must show my love.

Adore > *

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Gargantuan

i agree with impr0v pumpkin were brilliant in early days Siamese dream was played over and over again till the tape died so i got it on CD , gish was a cracker aswell nice and chilled out . Billy corgan's ego went over board and ruined the band. I saw them in the SFX the first time they were here 1995 i think .it was my first gig and will go down as one of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

smashing pumpkins were great. the sheer diversity of each of their albums, I don't think that I've ever listened to any other band who progressed so much like they did during their ten years or so together (except for blur, but that's another topic).

I could never pick a favourite album from the pumpkins, I prefer siamese dream/mellon collie/adore to the others, like a lot of people I suppose, but then some days you just have this urge to listen to machina 1 and 2 all the way through or put on pisces iscariot at three in the morning because you can't sleep. Any pumpkins fanatic will tell you that its not just the albums, there's something about the smashing pumpkins that people just fall in love with. pumpkins fan are the most passionate bunch of people about their favourite band that I've ever encountered.

I was lucky enough to see billy corgan's solo show in chicago last year while I was on holiday, and judging from the quality of the songs played that night you can expect something very special on billy's solo album. Now he didn't actually play anything from the new album (which is a rock album), he played some new acoustic songs for a seperate release later next year, but it just showed that he's one of the greatest songwriters of all time. The man's a genius :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ziggy-Stardust

They were fabulously brilliant, their songs were so unique, and they just had this general charisma about them that attracted you to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

disarm, one of my favourite songs. legendary stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

Amazing band.
    thats all i can say, f**king amazing.
    Billy is a fantastic lyricist
    and jimmy is one of the best drummers ever.
    D'arcy and james were good musicians but nothing extraordinary.
    the problem with the band was not billy's ego, he had a massive ego but it would be unfair to blame the breakup solely on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

If the Pumpkins were to make it into my top ten bands list, it would be solely because of Siamese Dream. The other albums had plenty of moments, but Siamese Dream is a fantastic album imho, there's not one song that I dislike. I think it's one of those albums that every fan of rock/metal should own, it really is that good.

Jimmy is definitely one of the best drummers in mainstream rock, he beats Dave Grohl any day.
    D'arcy..was okay, nothing special, but not bad either. Shame she was such a smackhead.
    Billy's voice can be quite grating, but hey, my favourite band is Placebo, so I'm used to it. :D And James Iha is one of my favourite guitarists, that solo in Soma is magnificent..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I must say I love the Pumpkins but I rarely if ever can stand listening to more than one or two tracks from Gish or Pisces Iscariat. Just lack the magic of SD/MC/Adore. Mellon Collie will always be my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I really liked smashing pumpkins, for me the best rock band of the 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

The Smashing Pumpkins were great. So many good songs and many of their B-sides were album quality as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

The greatest thing about the pumpkins for me will always be the coming together of jimmy and billy to write songs ( why did zwan turn out **** then!) but yes i love the pumpkins, i even have a tattoo ( oh the joys of a wasted youth!) saw them live in glasgow/dublin on the last tour,funtimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 elf-boy

the smashing pumpkins were cool and still are. even if they broke up the're still one of the best bands ever. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I wouldn't be surprised if they reformed in a few years. And frankly I'd be delighted if they did.

Advertisement