Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smashing pumpkins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

they are pretty good. some nice riffs and great drumming, but billy corgan's voice can really get on my nerves sometimes. Melancholy And The Infinite Sadness is a brilliant album though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Skelz

pumpkins ruled in their day and i totall agree with you ronano both the fact that zawn were ****e. and you cant beat siameese dream!!

ANother thing that scared me is that my mother seems to have this slightly unhealth obsession with billy corgan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Siamese Dream was definitely their peak, although I'm sure Mellon Collie would have given it a run for its money if they had filtered out some songs and released it as a single CD instead of a 2-CD set. Still, you have to admire that kind of progressive release - can you name any other band who've released a 2-CD set that isn't some kind of "best of"?

Adore is a close second in my opinion. Its a lot softer than the other albums, but there's so much creative genius in there... "Apples & Oranges", "For Martha", "Blank Page"... its fantastic. The first 4 songs on Machina were pretty good too (My favourite ever Pumpkins track is "I Of The Morning"), but then the album faded away into random messing about with distortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

mr_angry wrote:
    Siamese Dream was definitely their peak, although I'm sure Mellon Collie would have given it a run for its money if they had filtered out some songs and released it as a single CD instead of a 2-CD set. Still, you have to admire that kind of progressive release - can you name any other band who've released a 2-CD set that isn't some kind of "best of"?

Adore is a close second in my opinion. Its a lot softer than the other albums, but there's so much creative genius in there... "Apples & Oranges", "For Martha", "Blank Page"... its fantastic. The first 4 songs on Machina were pretty good too (My favourite ever Pumpkins track is "I Of The Morning"), but then the album faded away into random messing about with distortion.

Frank Zappa released loads of 2 cd albums- the entire "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" series(6 albums), Make A Jazz Noise Here, Zappa In New York, London Symphony Vol I,II and Vol.III etc.
    Well, i suppose you kinda right cos that's the only other band/artist i think of at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

The first 4 songs on Machina were pretty good too (My favourite ever Pumpkins track is "I Of The Morning"), but then the album faded away into random messing about with distortion.

Yes, yes, yes. Stand Inside Your Love, and especially I of the Mourning, are absolutely fantastic (even if SIYL is basically an improved Bullet with Butterfly Wings). There are one or two other good 'uns on that album, but it's all a bit "Heavy Metal Machine" for my liking, too much distortion and muddied over-production.

I never really got attached to Mellon Collie, there's a lot of self-indulgent rubbish on it (and James Iha singing, uhhhr..).
    Gish and Adore I have yet to hear..Opinions are in conflict, and from what I've heard of Adore there's entirely too much synth.

Dunno if they'd ever reform. One half of the band are recovering drug addicts, and they've had mad rows and feuds (and you know how conceited Billy would be, he'd never swallow his pride like that)...Still, it'd be great if they did, if even to get a chance to see them play live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

If Billy can summon up the rage still then it would be a brilliant reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

mr_angry wrote:
    Still, you have to admire that kind of progressive release - can you name any other band who've released a 2-CD set that isn't some kind of "best of"?

Einstuerzende Neubauten - Silence Is Sexy
    Aphex Twin - Drukqs
    Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus
    NIN - The Fragile
    Diamanda Galas has about three or four such albums
    Hafler Trio have a few 2cd's and even a couple of 3cd albums
    Pansonic's latest is a 4cd album
    Flaming Lips - Zaireeka (4cd)

There's plenty of good 2 cd albums. But before you think I'm just dismissing SP out of hand, remember that they released (from the same sessions) the Airplane Flies High box set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

mr_angry wrote:

Adore would be my fav but apples and oranges, it always ruined it for me. Machina was the album that most disappointed me for any band. I remember getting the single and being blown away at how good they both were (speed kills the bside,get it! better than anything on machina :P). I know billy was trying to reach for something with machina soundwise but just failed so bad :(

Pumpkins reunion, eventually but right now billy has a fatwa on the asians

Pumpkins reunion, eventually but right now billy has a fatwa on the asians

Eh?

Pet wrote:
    Eh?

Billy dissed James Iha and David Pajo :P

• Advertisement

ronano wrote:
    Billy dissed James Iha and David Pajo :P
    Oh right, yeah. I thought you were going to say he had turned Muslim, which would be..disturbing..:D

Pet wrote:
    Oh right, yeah. I thought you were going to say he had turned Muslim, which would be..disturbing..:D

Well at least there would be a reason for the way he sings,can't you just imagine billy doing the call to prayer in the morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Pet wrote:
    James Iha is one of my favourite guitarists, that solo in Soma is magnificent..

...indeed it is, but all those crazy solos are actually performed by Billy, on the records and live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭reality

This thread should so still be in use!!!
    Anyone have any inside info on whether or not billy's gonna tour once he's released the album in june(eh, wahooooo)?

...indeed it is, but all those crazy solos are actually performed by Billy, on the records and live.

REALLY!? I was always under the impression that that was James rockin' out. I have a lot more respect for Billy now...

So what exactly DID James do then? Was it simply rhythm guitar? Seems like a bit of a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I like most genres of music,especially rock.

I have to say that Smashing Pumpkins always left me totally underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pet wrote:

Why would that be disturbing? :confused:

adox wrote:
    Why would that be disturbing? :confused:
    Because he'd no longer be a musician? And it would go against his current beliefs?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

adox wrote:
    I have to say that Smashing Pumpkins always left me totally underwhelmed.

Have you ever heard Luna (on siamese dream)? its possibly the most beautiful song i've ever heard. seriously sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

New Billy Corgan leaked today, song called A100. Absolutlely deadly. It's very dark and it's a bit electronic. Some people are saying that the album will be more like adore than anything else, which is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

where might one find this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dooid

Cool, can't wait to hear his album. I liked Zwan but it was a bit light and cheerful for Billy, I was afraid the guy had gone and lost the rage so fingers crossed his solo project will be the biz. Is there an official release date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I heard that there is a movie in the offing called Glass and the Gost Children

Apparantly its based on the Albums Machina I and Machina II, and there is a story running through both albums, about a guy called Glass and his lover June.

Anyone have any details, or am i delusional?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

it was rumoured glass and the ghost children was thepumpkins name for when they returned but its unlikely seeing as james iha isnt much of a fan of billy and d'arcy is a junky and billy would have none of that.

Jimmy chamberlain has a new band too. their site has some snippets of songs. sound pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thomas.oleary

My friend just recommended them to me so i am going out to buy the CD the next time i get money.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

Good to hear! They're sensational once you get into them. Billy's voice takes a bit of adjusting to, but in all they had great chemistry together. The sounds unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

New song reminds me of "Eye", but not as good.

I've given up on Billy at this stage, so if he releases anything better than utterly atrocious, I'll be happy.

Though I'll still go see him when he plays in the Summer.

Edit for gay:

head.corgan.jpg

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

I use to love the smashing pumpkins. still do actually. i got into them around the time of melon collie, theres a lot of stuff on that album that brings me back to secondary school and being in love with girls i never got!
    i like the way it ends with the intro piano theme being incorporated into 'farewell and goodnight' in a different key. i love siamese dream too, especially mayonaise. i always preferred their more mellow stuff, but yea they did rock. just bought the dvd of their videos, i like that mini movie at the end- its really honest.i thought after jimmy chamberlain got fired they lost something that they never managed to regain. machina and adore were both very disappointing for me. any body know where i can buy the john peel sessions on cd, i heard it years ago and really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Smashing Pumpkins.......... *sigh*
    What more can I say. The most influential and greatest band in my life, A band who managed to transgress through every genre of music I ever branched into.Billy Corgan is the greatest singer alive,James Iaah did some of the craziest sh*t I've ever heard of on guitar,Jimmy Chamberlain was just insane when it came to jungle drumming and Darcy....ah Darcy....my perfect woman.

Smashing Pumpkins have helped me through a lot of good and bad times in my life and for that I am eternally grateful. There music has helped me realise things I didnt even think possible.

On a side note, I met Billy Corgan in Temple Bar once (still have his autograph in a frame on my wall) and he was the coolest guy Ive ever met. We chatted about the new album coming out (Machina at the time). I still listen to them all the time and I still kick myself everytime I pass the Olympia for missing their last gig. James Iaah's solo stuff is really really good and I havent had a chance to get my hands on Jimmy Chamberlains stuff yet but Ive heard its pretty cool too.

Billy Corgan is still one of my favourite singers (even if that new band he started kind of sucks but hey,thats life)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

An FM Recording of his first single, "Walking Shade" has surfaced. It's not bad actually.

Advertisement