Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming VAT Back?

Options
  • 16-11-2004 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently studying in the UK. I was talking to a guy from Portugal who can get all VAT spent here back... or even the Portugeez government pay it for him or something along those lines.

Does anyone know if I would be able to do that or is it just something funny Portugal does? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

He might be VAT registered in the uk?

In general, you can't do this sort of stuff, it's against the european rules. The UK does have some strange rules regarding VAT though. I'd like to know who he files with to get the VAT.

There is also a system for claiming back VAT on certain out-of-pocket business expenses while abroad. A number of companies operate a service to get a vat refund on the strength of the receipts he collects. Maybe he is using some variant on that, but he might be out on the edge of what is legitimately allowed if he is studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yeah he gives the recipets back to the Portugeez government who in turn refund the money.

Advertisement