Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im Afraid to play half life 2

Options
  • 16-11-2004 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

After getting this this morning and spending nearly an hour installing and playing for about 10 minutes i can honestly says this really is the game to end all games

except since getting it my pc has restarted 4 times and completely shut down once, i dunno whats going on i dont want to do damage to my pc but this is getting serious

Help

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Check your temps and if you have overclocked your cpu,gfx card or ram trying setting them back to their normal settings and seeing if that solves the problem.

Gotta say tho it would be funny as fúck if HL2 had major game stopping bugs in it, just for the interweb drama :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Close Steam and then reboot and start Steam up again!! I was having a similiar problem playing CS:S and that seemed to resolve the problem.....seems to be a problem with the Steam software and not HL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Venom wrote:

Gotta say tho it would be funny as fúck if HL2 had major game stopping bugs in it, just for the interweb drama :)

Oh it does. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

damn well its still restarting even after suggesting closing and restarting steam, gfx card has never been overclocked, in fact it has an artic vga cooler slapped on to make it colder then the antartic, just restarted on me again, i died it went to reload level boom restart

Dear god this torment is overwhelming, why valve why

gonna fiddle about with drivers and see what happens

shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

did you get the new 4.12 drivers for ati cards (if you have a ati card) might help you out?

thats what i loaded in anticipation for today, but i found the problem now and it is sorted, i just went back to the cat 10's and no more restarts thank god

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

shinzon wrote:
    thats what i loaded in anticipation for today, but i found the problem now and it is sorted, i just went back to the cat 10's and no more restarts thank god

Shin

The the new drivers are beta after all.

Matt

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Same problem here - x800 pro with arctic cooler and it's as if the card is overheating. Think I'll go look for those cat 10s. Eh Do you mean 4.10?

yep thats the ones

cat 4.10

shin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thanks downloading them now. I went from 4.9 to 4.11 this morning and 4.9 had the rebooting problem too. Some bad drivers coming from ATI. I wonder if the new beta 4.12 solves it. Edit oops you were using 4.12. Well so much for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

tad off topic but have the min specs needed for half life 2 been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    tad off topic but have the min specs needed for half life 2 been released?

Min:

• 1.2 GHz Processor
    • 256MB RAM
    • DirectX 7 graphics card
    • Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
    • Mouse
    • Keyboard
    • Internet Connection

Preferred:

• 2.4 GHz Processor
    • 512MB RAM
    • DirectX 9 graphics card
    • Windows 2000/XP
    • Mouse
    • Keyboard
    • Internet Connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

4.12 betas fixed my texture problems. I was using 8.07 betas before that. Similar to the 4.09 betas with the 256meg bug fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

bizmark wrote:
    Preferred:

• 2.4 GHz Processor
    • 512MB RAM
    • DirectX 9 graphics card
    • Windows 2000/XP
    • Mouse
    • Keyboard
    • Internet Connection

Well apart from the mouse and keyboard I think I'm going to able to meet those specs especially my lovely Radeon 9800XT with 256mbs. Bring on the head crabs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

"Half Life 2 plays best on ATi 9800xt"

i remember this last year!

our cards rock..screw you all with your x800's and your 6800's this was meant for the 9800xt! :p

nah but seriously ...im shocked just how well it plays compared to some other games these days..

oh and im using 4.12's got em last night and im having no problems :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Unlocked 4 pipelines on my x800 Pro...

Its now an x800 XT...he he he

Advertisement