Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed dog

Options
  • 16-11-2004 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I have the nicest dog in the world a golden retriever, she has an amazing placid temprement but latley people have been comenting on how depressed she is. She has gotten a bit older now (she is 9) and all she does is sit around. I walk her as much as I can but sometimes Im just too tired when I get home to take her out, especially when its poxy out. I am being pushed to give her away to a family with small kids who will play with her but Im torn since it would kill me to give her away knowing I would never see her again I dont know what to do, basicly looking for advice

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you have any dog walking service in your area, or could anyone you know whose at a loose end take the dog out for a bit during the day? Or are you in a position to get another dog for company?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

How long during the day is she on her own? Is there anyone home during the day, or is she home alone mostly? How much attention does she get when people do come home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

she is on her own from 9 - 6 and gets a bit of attention, not that much, like half an hour. There is no dog walking service, and there is no chance of getting another dog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

then you might have to bite the bullet and find her a different home, perhaps with a friend or relative that has kids or people that are home more often. Dogs are pack animals, without the company of other dogs or people, they get lonely and depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Does the dogs have a large space to play during the day?
    They are big dogs, and require a lot of exersise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Yeah we have a huge back garden, she chases cats all day, but as it gets cold in teh winter and wet we leave her inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

joejoem wrote:
    Yeah we have a huge back garden, she chases cats all day, but as it gets cold in teh winter and wet we leave her inside.
    Ok, well if it's a big enough back garden, perhaps get another dog to keep her company. The dog is upset because she's on her own for the majority of each day. As was already explained, dogs are sociable creatures, and require company. They naturally wouldn't live alone; majority of their time would be spent in a pack.

I think your best solution is to get another dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

generally,
    the older a dog gets, the more it dosent want to do anything other than sit quietly with u and relax. if u cant do that, find somone who can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

It would be a good idea for you to invest in a small radio, and put it some where that your goldie can hear it, but not get to it and chew it up(or the rain getting at it!). The music will help to keep the dog company, but, there would be nothing better than finding a suitable mate for it.

Advertisement