Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom latency?

Options
  • 16-11-2004 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Is anyone else experiencing latency problems over their Eircom link?. My ping times to local servers range from 30ms to 1000ms, it kills BF1942 games and is even noticable over SSh sessions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

First make sure your pc is free of spyware/adware/malware with spybot and adaware, aswell as free of viruses.

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

:rolleyes: Yes, Its about as clear of crap as windows can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Best thing to do is get a different comp and see it you have the same results with that, best way to trouble shoot where the prob is is to replace everything you can with something that works the way you want it to somewhere else.

Also try another provider incase its something on your providers end.

Assuming that fails ring 1901 tell them you hear hissing on the line half the time and it makes it impossible to use the phone when it happens. They will do a line check and probably lie to you if it shows anything. Even if they dont find anything on the line test they might be able to find probs when the engineer comes out, and becausee it dosnt always happen you can just say its fine now if the engineer checks it and finds nothing then ring back and claim its still happening and they will have to send another engineer out and recheck everything. Dont say its anything to do with the internet or else youll get immediatly transfered to someone else or have your problem refered to someone else. If your lucky there might be some prob with the line that an engineer can fix, this is how i got my dsl line installed on an eircom line they failed 3 times when it turned out some wires on the pole outside my house where messed up somehow yet the remote line check couldnt see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

Thanks Kristok.

Yes I have windows/linux boxes connected to the eircom netopia device and they all experience the same problem. I don't believe Eircom guarantee latency QOS which is a pity since it worked fine up until a few months ago.

I'll log it as a voice problem as you recommend. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tea

Might be best to narrow this down a bit before logging a line fault. First, I suggest you look at your first hop latency. Just ping the BAS you're connected to and see if its steady.

(The BAS you are connected to is normally of the form b-rasxx.XXX.dublin.eircom.net - you can find its IP address by tracerouting any website.)

If its steady, you can immediately rule out your DSL line itself - the problem is either in eircom's IP network or out on the Internet. Might at least save you the hassle of waiting home for someone to come look at your line.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement