Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Desktop Connection with XP Home

• 16-11-2004 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering is it possible to use Remote Desktop Connection with Win Xp Home Ed SP2....I have a network set up @ home & would like to be able to control the computer downstairs from my bedroom.
    I have created an exception in Windows Firewall to allow my computer to control it and have turned on Remote Desktop under the My Computer(right click) - Properties - Remote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

is it the xp home pc with the remote desktop enabled? sounds like you just need the remote desktop client?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

is it the xp home pc with the remote desktop enabled? sounds like you just need the remote desktop client?
    I'm presuming you are asking do both machines have Remote Desktop Connection installed....Yes....ie the below screenshot
    remote.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

right now can the 2 pcs see each other in the my network places etc. ie have the same workgroup name? if so it should just be a simple options find pc and create connection

Yeh I can ping them both ok, play network games, file share, printer share etc...

Nobody else got any words of wisdom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I use it at home with two xp pro machines.
    Have you tried it with your xp home machines?
    Is there a specific problem you have connecting?

RKM.

Yes I have tried it with my XP Home machines but I get Network error messages (in work ATM)....will post the error messages when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

I may be misinformed, but I thought that was one of the key differences between XP home and XP Pro, i.e. XP Pro allows you to do it, XP home doesn't.

I use a similar open source/free facility a lot for controlling PCs across a VPN connection. You can download it from here if you want to give it a try: http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

I always get a kick out of controlling a PC in the US from my living room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Yeah, that real VNC is the business.

Nice One...that VNC looks the biz....but i think i may just upgrade both my PCs to Pro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

try following this guide from M$

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

try following this guide from M$

From the above link:

To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:

• Windows XP Professional installed on your office computer, or whichever computer you plan to operate remotely. This computer is known as the host.

Advertisement