Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UK] Serious Broadband comes with "hefty" £39.99 monthly price

Options
  • 16-11-2004 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4016031.stm

UK broadband gets speed injection

Fastest broadband on the block sets new standard
    Broadband's rapid rise continues apace as speeds gear up a notch.
    An eight megabit service has been launched by internet service provider UK Online.

It is 16 times faster than the average broadband package on the market and will pave the way for services such as video-on-demand and broadband TV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

[GROAN]

Right, that's it!

Time to buy some new tin cans and string, obviously watercooled for optimum overclocking ability. Maybe try overclocking the strechy bit first, at a guess one pound pull tension give me 1 bps so if I pull the string really taut maybe I can get 2bps?

Obviously ComReg will have to start another public consultation on it before I can sell this to the masses, so expect to see preliminary results around 2009.

But of course if they don't produce the answer I want I can always hold them hostage in the Four Courts for a year or two while my superduper 1bps product continues to make me a healthy profit in preparation for the IPO I'll be having.

Prospectus available any time soon.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

You can find out more about the product here:
    http://www.ukonline.net/8000/

Basically it gives you an 8mbps broadband connection converted around 50-60 euros. This is targetting the "high end" home user. Eircom in contrast charge 40 euros for a 512 service with a higher contention rate (ouch!) and 200 euros for a 2mbps service. I have included VAT in all those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

I'm morgothi, p5 is an English buddy of mine who is on blueyonder 1.5mbit cable.

[20:20:51] <p5> lo-l
    [20:20:56] <p5> that 8mbps is stupidly capped though
    [20:20:58] <p5> at 4gb a day
    [20:21:02] <morgothi> lol?
    [20:21:03] <morgothi> that's
    [20:21:06] <morgothi> 120+ a month
    [20:21:09] <morgothi> we get 8 a month
    [20:21:13] <p5> oh

I just thought it epitomised the situation that he thought 4gb/day was a stupid cap. =)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I think we're all going to have to accept the fact that when it comes to broadband, Ireland is and always will be 3 or 4 years behind. We probably won't get an 8meg line till 2008.

Advertisement