Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless setup problem need help!

• 16-11-2004 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi,

I have IOLBB installed with a Zyxel 600 modem and working.
    I got a Linksys WRT54G Broadband router to share the internet
    connection with another pc and a laptop.

I cannot get it to work, do i need to make changes to the Zyxel
    600 setup? Both have DHCP!

Running WinXP on all pc's and laptop.

Anybody with a similar setup? I would be grateful for some ideas.

Thanks

Noel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nhynes57

Problem solved.

For anybody who may have a problem with this setup, what you
    have to do is change the options on the Zyxel to "bridge" and
    the WRT to PPPoe.

See this post for more details
    http://forums.aanet.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=726&start=33

Noel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

i have an IOL BB conection with a ZyXEL Prestige 630 usb modem. I want to be able to also use a wifi laptop on this same connection. could someone provide a simple description of what i need to do - keeping it as non-tech as possible.

1. what is best wifi kit to buy to work with my setup
    2. do i need to reconfigure the existing ZyXel modem or does wifi kit replace this altogether
    3. do i need to reconfigure the pc
    4. does the laptop route via the pc (using ICS-Internet connection sharing) or does it hang directly off the B/band connection.
    5. what plugs into what.

advise would be greatly appreciated ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Rumblefish, I had the setup you were looking for (until my Access point died last week, but that's another story).

So starting with the USB Modem, I got a Wireless Access Point, Netgear ME102 (second hand from guy in work). Installed this with the drivers. Followed the setup instructions to the letter. I used a crossover cable to connect the Access Point to the LAN card in my computer (if you have an Ethernet Hub, a regular network cable from the AP the the PC to the hub is fine). If you don't have a LAN card, you will need to get one.

On my PC. Went to the the network connections window (Start -> Settings -> Network Connections). Selected IOL Broadband, ight click and select Properties. There is a tab on the right (forget name, sorry in work now) which allows you to share the internet connection out. Select that and choose to share the network connection. Once you do that, you must select the network connection to the Access Point (your LAN connection) from the listbox on the same page.

Mke sure your client machine is set to use DHCP rather than a fixed IP address and you're away.

When the Access Point died last week, I decided to go all fancy and got a combination ADSL Modem, Wireless Access Point and Ethernet Hub from agros (a Belkin for €119, PC World and Dixons selling the same one for €139). Setting that up was easy enough, and so far it's working fine. The Zyxel 630 is in storage in case I ever need Tech support from IOL (apparently they won't support you if you don't use their modem). This has the advantage that the PC that used to have the Zyxel Modem connected no longer has to be on to let the other PC access the internet as the Belkin combo unit dials out onit's own.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Rumblefish wrote:
    i have an IOL BB conection with a ZyXEL Prestige 630 usb modem. I want to be able to also use a wifi laptop on this same connection. could someone provide a simple description of what i need to do - keeping it as non-tech as possible.

1. what is best wifi kit to buy to work with my setup
    2. do i need to reconfigure the existing ZyXel modem or does wifi kit replace this altogether
    3. do i need to reconfigure the pc
    4. does the laptop route via the pc (using ICS-Internet connection sharing) or does it hang directly off the B/band connection.
    5. what plugs into what.

advise would be greatly appreciated ...

RF there are pretty good prices around at the moment for 'all in ones' like dancin mentions above. In additon to the Belkin the Linksys wag54g and the Netgear 834g are available for around €120 in IT direct. They are very easy to set up. The pc can be connected via ethernet cable(or via its own wirelss card if you so wish) to them (they in turn only need to be connected to the phone line) and you will need a wireless card for any laptop that you want to use with the network. Your own seems to have wifi already from you post ( if it hasnt then Argos currently have laptop belkin wireless cards for €36 which is a really good price). The netgear in particular has excellent on screen support beside the variious options in the set up menu.

It is well worth going for the wireless network.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Hi im trying to get an ad-hoc wifi setup, i have enabled the wlan on the xp computer and i can see its setup properly on netstumbler it says 1 ap active, however, when i try to connect to it on the windows 2000 computer it wont work, when i click on properties and then click on TCP/IP and go to properties it says: "In order to configure TCP/IP, you must install and enable a network adapter card", but the network is enabled already, when i go to network adapter properties and select ad-hoc(ofdm) and it says its enabled. Any ideas on how to fix this ????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

many thanks for the advice - will give it a go between the christmas turkey and the new year.

Advertisement