Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband - which package is best?????

• 16-11-2004 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

ugh, i think i should have posted here instead so here goes.......

ok i wanna get broadband but i dont know which is best. i've heard utv offers a good package but with these things there always seems to be a hidden cost . i assume, as im living in dublin, i can potentially sign up to any of the major broadband services so any advice on them would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If you are in an NTL area in dublin, then NTL is the way to go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

thanks 4 the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

What exactly are you looking to use it for? Browsing/Email? Downloading loads of stuff? Voice over IP?

UTV do the cheapest DSL based Broadband (which means you need a phoneline) but you have to get your phone service from them. This isn't a problem really as UTV are doing a particulary good offer if you are calling landlines in Ireland the uk. They are also cheaper than Eircom. They charge €30 a month. You need to check over on Eircom or UTVs site to see if your line passes for BB.

Other than that you have NTL and Irish Broadband (IBB) doing cable BB or Wireless BB in Dublin. IBB are doing either a €30 a month BB called Ripwave that doesn't need a phoneline (great as you save the cost of line rental) but can be very very iffy indeed. Otherwise they do a €45 a month one called Breeze home which requires an antenna on your house and that it has line of sight of one of their "high" sites. This is a very good service apparently for anyone who can get it. Its also approximately twice as fast as ripwave (1mb versus 512kb).

NTL does the best deal overall with a choice of 3 different download speeds all at different prices. You can get up to 1.5mb with them (not sure of price).
    Good if you can get it.

Oh and just because you're in Dublin don't assume you can get BB. I am as well (Dublin 8) and I cannot get DSL BB due to my phone line failing the line test, nor can I get Wireless due to the location of my house, nor can I get NTL BB because they don't yet do it in my area. Royalled screwed in effect (silicon Ireland my arse).

So theres a quick overview. Browse the forum here and you'll get a better feel for it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, Dublin means nothing I'm afraid. I'm in Dublin and couldn't get *anything* until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

If not IBB would proably be 2nd best (breeze package)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

wow, thanks mackalla, thats pretty comprehensive advice there. to answer ur question i'd mostly be using it for games, email, browsing and a few music downloads ;) (but only a few of those). i havent found out what services connect to my area yet. i thought, like u said, it was "silicone ireland" and there was no problem. i guess what im asking is what is potentially the best deal for a user like me, assuming i can get them all. if i know that i can work from there and try get the best, or if not the second best, or if not......

thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Ntl sounds the best for you, but IBB has the advantage of a symetrical connection, (download and upload equal).

Advertisement