Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Max to be launched in Leixlip by IBB and Intel

• 16-11-2004 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Read last week that Wi-Max is supposed to be launched in Leixlip by IBB and Intel, as Intel was sick of having to wait for BB to come to the area for their employees.
    Anyone hear if this is gonna be rolled out further, soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ShamBoballa

Whats the dealio with "Wi-Max". Is it wireless? What are it up/download speeds???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mirage

Bottom line is its non LOS wireless BB with a range of up to 30 miles (Yup MILES) with band with of up to 74mps :eek: this article is a bit technical but there is a table near the bottom witht he bandwitdh stats http://www.commsdesign.com/design_corner/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=PUHOWANYQQIXMQSNDBCSKHQ?articleID=17500156

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I doubt if those speeds will be achieved in the real world over distance. If it does work well, people should thank Eircom for underserving an area containing one of the biggest multinational investors in Ireland prompting them to take action that completely bypasses the telco monopolist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Intel have actually done this over a metroplotan area already in Albuquerque New Mexico (another one of their fabs is based there)
    entirely achieveable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mirage

The article was i the Times last Tuesday and if my memory serves me they hinted at how pathetic it was that as one of the world leaders in IT technology their employees were unable to work from home due to the lack of BB. So in stepped IBB and stole the march on Eircom( :mad: ) what I was wondering was whether any of you good folks knew if this was just a one off or the start of something special

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

There was a press release on this a few days ago on the IBB site

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/media_centre/mc_pr_current20.htm

"BreezeMAX will be deployed on Irish Broadband’s 3.5 GHz licensed network and will be used to bring the benefits of WiMAX technology to Irish Broadband subscribers in the cities of Dublin, Cork, Dundalk, Drogheda, Galway, Limerick, and Waterford. WiMAX technology offers unparalleled broadband services with Non-Line-of-Sight (NLOS) functionality plus long-term cost effectiveness."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Intel have actually done this over a metroplotan area already in Albuquerque New Mexico (another one of their fabs is based there)
    entirely achieveable.
    Glad to hear that. People might end up thanking Eircom for being rubbish if they end up with something far superior than if Eircom had deigned to serve the area properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

mirage wrote:
    So in stepped IBB and stole the march on Eircom( :mad: ) what I was wondering was whether any of you good folks knew if this was just a one off or the start of something special

Its the start of another IBB press release. :( . Thats all. Tell Intel to do the job themselves and keep it in house. Their employees would benefit from the hands on experience !

M

Advertisement