Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Sekkrit Santa

• 16-11-2004 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

Wouldnt it be cool to have a boards.ie sekkrit santa thingy this year ? Would it be too complex or could it work ? Seen it work well on other forums and its always good to get a mystery christmas gift !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

How does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trajan

yeah. seems interesting. I guess we could all gift each other rep points galore :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sekkrit santa ? Everyone signs up and is assigned someone to buy a present for ( with a minimum/max cost ) Everyone would have to write up a list of interests
    i.e

Likes-
    Anime
    Horror Movies
    Teddy bears

Dislikes-
    Sex toys

Or whatever the list would be ! If you were asking how it works as regards online Im not sure...would be a fair ammount of work for whoever was organising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

That's far too personal... why would you volunteer to buy another present with the hefty lists you have to get anyways?

Plus there's faaaar too many people on boards.ie for that kind of shenanigans

SteveD wrote:
    That's far too personal... why would you volunteer to buy another present with the hefty lists you have to get anyways?

Plus there's faaaar too many people on boards.ie for that kind of shenanigans

Ive seen it work really well on forums twice the size of boards. Go take a look at the www.somethingawful.com forums. What do you mean its far too personal ? :confused: when I saw another present it could cost like 10 euro + you would be getting one in return...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I like it!

To get the ball rolling....

I LIKE..... Chocolates, Gin, Diamonds, Designer Handbags, electronic gadgetry.

I DISLIKE..... Woollen goods, tropical fruit beauty items, Manchester Utd merchandise, "novelty" penis shaped tat.

embee wrote:
    I like it!

I DISLIKE..... Woollen goods, tropical fruit beauty items, Manchester Utd merchandise, "novelty" penis shaped tat.

Hold your horses :) no point in posting up likes and dislikes just yet ! and jaysus woman you have pricey tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

embee wrote:
    I like it!

Youre a girl right? :D

Tusky wrote:
    Hold your horses :) no point in posting up likes and dislikes just yet ! and jaysus woman you have pricey tastes.

Hey, its just a heads up.

And yeah, I do have expensive tastes. Apparently, its a
    Capricorn thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

buy me stuff, i'll pretend to like you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

azezil wrote:
    buy me stuff, i'll pretend to like you
    *opens wallet and runs to shops*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

aww yay lets do it , i love secret santa!

If theres enough interest by the end of the week I'll set it up.

yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yay! I'd be all for it!

I'm not against it, I just think it'd be difficult to set up.

Anyways I'd be interested in seeing how this experiment pans out so I'm in if it goes ahead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can I advise (if this goes ahead), everyone setting up an amazon wishlist, with stuff they'd like?

Also helps maintain the sekritness of it.

seamus wrote:
    Can I advise (if this goes ahead), everyone setting up an amazon wishlist, with stuff they'd like?

ohh i like that idea. with a limit of maybe $10 on it?

seamus wrote:

What I was thinking was that people email me their details that would be required to send the present ( name address ETC ) and their likes and dislikes which can then be passed on whoeevr is buying a present for them. I think its better if the person comes up with a present based on what the person likes rather than picking a cd or dvd straight from a list, whatcha think ? If you want something off your amazon wishlist you should just buy that yourself ! the present should be a surprise !

It would be nice to be able to pick your price range i.e below 10 euro OR 10-20 euro and then you would be paired off with people with the same price range.

[edit] GAH! dont email me yet you eejits :) I'll set up a seperate email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I'll take a Radeon 9800pro please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tusky wrote:
    What I was thinking was that people email me their details that would be required to send the present ( name address ETC ) and their likes and dislikes which can then be passed on whoeevr is buying a present for them. I think its better if the person comes up with a present based on what the person likes rather than picking a cd or dvd straight from a list, whatcha think ? If you want something off your amazon wishlist you should just buy that yourself ! the present should be a surprise !
    What I was thinking (although it's not my idea :)) is that I couldn't be arsed trying to think of a present for somebody I don't even know. I'd much prefer to pick an item from a list and buy it for them, knowing they'd like it, and pandering to a lazy bastid like me. I'd also like an item from my wishlist to just appear in work unannounced. :)

IMHO, you'll get a much higher participation and satisfaction rate if you do it the wishlist way. Particularly considering it's being organised online. The wishlist still allows those who haven't a credit card to pop out and buy the items anyway. That's just my 2c anyway.
    It would be nice to be able to pick your price range i.e below 10 euro OR 10-20 euro and then you would be paired off with people with the same price range.
    Great idea.
    [edit] GAH! dont email me yet you eejits :) I'll set up a seperate email address.
    rofl

/me emails tusky for the sneer.

seamus wrote:
    What I was thinking (although it's not my idea :)) is that I couldn't be arsed trying to think of a present for somebody I don't even know. I'd much prefer to pick an item from a list and buy it for them, knowing they'd like it, and pandering to a lazy bastid like me. I'd also like an item from my wishlist to just appear in work unannounced. :)

IMHO, you'll get a much higher participation and satisfaction rate if you do it the wishlist way. Particularly considering it's being organised online. The wishlist still allows those who haven't a credit card to pop out and buy the items anyway. That's just my 2c anyway.

Great idea.

rofl

Well people can set up wishlists if they want sure - It shouldnt be compulsory to buy from them though :)

This is starting to sound like a good idea... but only if you're willing to do a LOT of work Tusky (imagine all the emails your gonna be getting ;))

You should ask the admins for a private forum (people could request access to if they're really willing to put the effort and imagination into thinking of and sending a present) where you can put the type of music/dvds/etc people want or where they can post their amazon wishlists

Before you go and sign up for this secret santa think about whether you'd prefer to buy a present for someone with a computer/broadband/the time to post thousands on this board or if you'd like to buy a present for an underprivileged kid?

I'll be donating to the Santa Strike Force soon by the by I've just been very busy lately

That's just MY 2c though :D

SteveD wrote:
    This is starting to sound like a good idea... but only if you're willing to do a LOT of work Tusky (imagine all the emails your gonna be getting ;))

You should ask the admins for a private forum (people could request access to if they're really willing to put the effort and imagination into thinking of and sending a present) where you can put the type of music/dvds/etc people want or where they can post their amazon wishlists

Before you go and sign up for this secret santa think about whether you'd prefer to buy a present for someone with a computer/broadband/the time to post thousands on this board or if you'd like to buy a present for an underprivileged kid?

I'll be donating to the Santa Strike Force soon by the by I've just been very busy lately

That's just MY 2c though :D

Dont think a forum is needed really...Im sure I could ahndle the emails - I doubt were gonna be having 100s of people sign up or anything...

Suppose... i just think it's important that anyone who's priviliged enough to take part in this (buying a relative stranger a present) should also consider getting involved in/donating to the SSF aswell cos it's a good cause and i reckin it's worth mentioning twice..

Not to take away from your good idea of course Tusky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd do it.....Me likes prezzies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, I'll do it. How will we make sure evryone does it though?

Blisterman wrote:
    Yeah, I'll do it. How will we make sure evryone does it though?

I rekon only people who have been on boards for a year or more be allowd enter, make it more reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tusky wrote:
    I rekon only people who have been on boards for a year or more be allowd enter, make it more reliable.
    That's not really fair, in a way!

I think we can trust people with the good reps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

count me in

as for who does not honor the deal, well whoever does not get a present by a certain date say 6 january, will post the fact that they did not get their present. what happens to them after that is up to whoever is running the secret santa.

I think a ban on those here less than a year is a little unfair and would go against the spirit of boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I'm in...

I like: Beer, Music, Movies, Games, Beer and Vodka
    I dislike: Not having any beer. Spiders.

Limit should be €10 I reckon.

count me in

as for who does not honor the deal, well whoever does not get a present by a certain date say 6 january, will post the fact that they did not get their present. what happens to them after that is up to whoever is running the secret santa.

I think a ban on those here less than a year is a little unfair and would go against the spirit of boards

If someone doesnt send a present their name and address could be posted up here - they would be at the emrcy of the boards.ie community " lets send them po in the mail " I can see it now.

what if you end up with a weirdo that keeps sendin ya like chocolates with razor blades in them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    what if you end up with a weirdo that keeps sendin ya like chocolates with razor blades in them?
    Well, i'll have you know that my "Caramel Mach 3's" are quite the delicacy!

:)

• Advertisement

aww basquille your ruining the secret bit now , sshh jus between us ok !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

i'd do it, (if the ban on newbies dont apply).

dislikes: lager, rules, y-fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It will have to be centrally organised by someone, if it's gonna work.

Blisterman wrote:
    It will have to be centrally organised by someone, if it's gonna work.

Im gonna organise it - If someone wants to help thats fine too. I'll set up a new email address tonight and post a new thread with details about how to sign up.

id love to help , pm sent

• Advertisement

goodie!

Posting a new thread now - go sign up !

waiting... ;)

Advertisement