Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Is....

Options
  • 16-11-2004 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

"Love is the fuel for the engine of revolution...."

discuss.

::: ven0mous :::

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

that sounds too marxist to me ;)

by the way, i like your location.
    sounds...familiar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Marxist - must remember that one..... cheers though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Could just as easily by Evangilist :D.

DadaKopf wrote:
    Could just as easily by Evangilist :D.

Well actually - I thought of it & had it tattooed on me around a picture of Che Guevarra & just thought it was an interesting sentiment worthy of discussion.........ah well....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Sounds to me like a line for stenciling above the doorway of the paramilitary recruiting office in order to romanticise death for a cause.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm with imp0v - sounds like the sort of thing people say to try and make you overlook the fact that revolution, more often than not, involves some people getting gory to the elbows.

Never mind the fact that it's more like hatred which would fuel the drive to change, either hatred of those in power, or the system they have instituted, or the values which they implemented through that system.

All things told, I think it's a bit too vague to really generate an interesting discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Fysh wrote:
    All things told, I think it's a bit too vague to really generate an interesting discussion.

I'm inclined to agree.

What are your own thoughts on this matter, Venom?

Well - to be honest, I am in half agreement with some of the others about the motivation behind revolution - but "revolution" doesn't have to be the atypical definition as in a political one - it could be a personal revolution, or something else.....

But - the motivation for revolution (and what kind) is an interesting one - because when you think about it, (a) selfishness is involved, (b) glory is being sought, (c) more than likely disrespect for others is also involved & (d) there is a certain level of ruthlessness that is to be expected.....

guess I'm the only one who found it kinda interesting - so if u wanna close it simu, feel free & my apologies.... (don't like starting threads for the sake for starting a thread.....)

No, I won't close it - it might make an interesting discussion.

You might want to be clearer about what sort of revolution you want to discuss, though. What do you mean by a personal revolution as you described above? Is it when people make drastic changes to their lives or what? This seems to me to be quite a different topic to political revolutions and their causes.

When I say revolution I was talking about the broader definition of revolution ( i.e. like the personal revolution like drastic changes in ones life & whether 'love' (i.e. the broad term) can 'fuel' it or if 'revolution' can be motivated by more than the atypical factors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Did you really have it tattooed on you?

ven0m wrote:
    When I say revolution I was talking about the broader definition of revolution ( i.e. like the personal revolution like drastic changes in ones life & whether 'love' (i.e. the broad term) can 'fuel' it or if 'revolution' can be motivated by more than the atypical factors

So you're asking whether love is the primary cause of political revolutions, if I undertand you correctly. And what are these "atypical factors" you mention?

You'd probably have to define what you mean by love as well. I don't think romantic love leads directly to changes in politics (excluding unusual cases such as England becoming a protestant country because the Henry VIII was fed up of his wife and wanted to marry sb else:) although there were other, more political reasons for that too). Maybe you're thinking of some sort of abstract 'love' for humanity and the desire to create a better world for people to live in?

SkepticOne wrote:
    Did you really have it tattooed on you?

Yes, along with several other 'well chosen' ones.... put it this way, whoever my coronoer is, is gonna have a blast 'reading me'....

p.s. this is post # 400 - wooohooo!!!!!!!!!

Fascinating. Back on topic please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement