Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else just lost?

Options
  • 16-11-2004 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Ok not quite what the title sugests but im sitten here thinking about the old LC and i havent a clue on how im going to do. Of course its early(ish) days but still. The course im considering is quite tough (B2 in H maths and HB2 physics) and i cant even tell you if i would get this or not. Im on top of the majority of my work but i cant even start to compare it to what i need to be at when it comes around in June. I feel like im going along revising etc, but its all below the level required. I feel like i should be studing 24-7.Damn all the hype surrounding the damn exams.I also feel that, its a bit of an anticlamax which isnt a good attitude,im sorta thinking "this will be grand".Anyway, Sorry if this is a bit of topic but i need a bit of a rant.Better now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Sounds like you're just worrying because you're not freaking out. Be thankful you're still sane at this point. If you're doing any revision at this stage that's more than enough. Just keep on top of the homework and know what's going on. Apart from that loads of revision now isn't going to count for much in June. I'd only revise stuff you're really weak at. Oh, and it is an anticlimax, and it will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

thanks you!
    Thats exactly what i want to hear!Seems to be exactly the case though.Whats annoying me is that all we are being tested on is memory.Bar Maths.Ah well.Its not like im doing nothing so ill truck on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Turin.Turambar

Maths is pretty much memory as well. It's just practice really. Still bloody tough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

I'm totally in agreement with ya! it's like I should feel stressed etc. but it's all going over my head and it's like, I can do the amount of work I'm doin now (the usual) or i can study 24/7........the former obviously. Comforting that someone else has the same outlook! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

yeah!
    hopefully though, we wont end up with 10 points in the end.lol.
    The work will have to start at sometime, but at the moment, doing the homework seems to be doing the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

I did my LC in june 2004, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.
    Don't do what I did, study constantly and religiously up until January. By the time it was time to do some serious study (Jan-May) I was so fed up with the LC and studying. So fed up in fact that for the 2 weeks right before the LC started I could hardly look at a book, and I really messed up on the subjects i was good at( but in the end i got 545 pts -enuf 4 my course :o )

What I would suggest
    1: Keep on top of the work, look over each days work for a short time.
    2: Do a few (not too many!) sample/past Qs or some homework for a bit of practice.
    3:Most importantly FIND OUT WHAT YOU ARE MEANT TO KNOW, ie get the syllabuses for as many courses as possible ie you can get comprehensive ones for physics and chemistry for eg.
    4:Spend the time up until January looking over the syllabuses and planning what sections to attack and when. ie I'll cover light+heat in physics etc.
    This will make you feel in control of your studying and will avoid you panicking after January.

G'luck anyway in 2005.

And remember when you finish the LC you wont think of it again. Even though I did mine a few months ago, it certainly feels like a few years!!Seriously! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Cool Intel, sounds like good advice! At the moment got the 'oul xmas exams looming (next tuesday - ahhh!) so getting stuck in for those, haven't been over-stressing myself or anything, so hopefully won't be burnt out or nething by the time june comes! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Wow thats really good advice. I've been freaking lately. You know when you know you should really REALLY be doing something. But you just can't be arsed? Thats me. Since 5th year. :( I just need to organise myself but it seems like whenever I try to I get snowed under with homework and have no time for study... And my mocks are on 31st January!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You know when you know you should really REALLY be doing something. But you just can't be arsed?
    And that's me. In college. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Not to put the sh*ts into you (well sort of, might help you get off your arse), I had the same attitude Caoimhe; for LC 2003.

You can bet I shaped up a bit by the time it got around to LC2004... after repeating the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Comforting Cult, Comforting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as Caoimhe. Finding it incredibly difficult to sit down to do some study. Always did very well in school and have never really worked. Cannot muster up the motivation to do any extra work but I manage to do most of my homework. Doing my head in! Christmas exams this week, see how the results go with a total of 0 hours study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Simona1986 wrote:
    I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as Caoimhe. Finding it incredibly difficult to sit down to do some study. Always did very well in school and have never really worked. Cannot muster up the motivation to do any extra work but I manage to do most of my homework. Doing my head in! Christmas exams this week, see how the results go with a total of 0 hours study.

Ah thats grand, dont worry if your already doing reasonably well in school and doing your work. Only worry if you need like 550 points or somethin :D

Besides, its not till march when the real cram begins :D.

And remember, its not a test of how much you know, its a test of how much you can remember, the system is easily beaten.

Advertisement