Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Spiders shortlist announced 15th of November, wait 16th of November, wait....

Options
  • 16-11-2004 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Nice to see their competence shining through....

http://www.goldenspiders.ie/shortlist.html

The shortlist was scheduled for yesterday and never materialised, instead they changed the date overnight to today. It's now 7pm and I somehow doubt that the hardworking team are slaving over hot pc's at this hour, so look out for the date change to be made soon.

This is after the deadline for submission of entries were extended three times 'due to overwhelming demand', which I suspect is marketing speak for overwhelming apathy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

twas the same last year from what i remember the shortlist was weeks late? they seem to have changed thigns round a fair bit this year though so i thought they would have been more together...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

fizzy wrote:
    twas the same last year from what i remember the shortlist was weeks late? they seem to have changed thigns round a fair bit this year though so i thought they would have been more together...
    It seems to be run by Business And Finance this year. Still though given the bozos on the judging panel and the general revulsion at such dubious awards from people of varying cluefulness levels, they probably were had pushed to even get a realistic number of entries. the sheer width of awards seemed that they were trying to pimp the Golden Spiders awards just for entering a site and paying the stupid entry fee. When I saw the on-line [sic] search engine portal award I fell around laughing. Just what the fsck do these people know about search engines? :)

The shortlist is supposed to be out today but I would not be surprised to see the thing cancelled completely due to unforseen and unprecedented demand for the tickets. Then again the usual idiots who think that they are part of the Irish Internet industry will probably buy tickets to this booze-up.

Regards...jmcc

Now the release date for the shortlist is 18th Nov. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I thought Business & Finance went bust this year?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

jmcc wrote:
    Now the release date for the shortlist is 18th Nov. :)

Regards...jmcc

Perhaps the idea is to stimulate demand for tables at the event, if firms don't know whether they are on the list or not they might be more inclined to book a table just in case?

Or maybe it's just that they're incapable of working to deadlines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ballooba wrote:
    I thought Business & Finance went bust this year?!?
    The ‘IT wing’ of B&F was spun off from the publishing business around a year or two before the latter filed for bankruptcy. It subsequently rebranded and now trades as Business World now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

And why would they still be looking for sponsorship at this stage?

http://www.goldenspiders.ie/shortlist.html

Look at the On-Line Search Portal nominees. Not one real heavyweight search engine there. It is like the wonderfully attuned people on the panel read a release about search engines being involved in geo-locating websites. So what happens? These morons nominated property portals for the short list. Guess no real search engines bothered entering this farce.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

3. The Last Minute.com Best On-Line Search Engine Portal

www.daft.ie
    www.dng.ie
    www.myhome.ie

Uhm, there all property sites. Did they end up in the wrong category or what??

buddy wrote:
    Uhm, there all property sites. Did they end up in the wrong category or what??
    Look at the judging panel and ask yourself what these people know about search engines and then ask yourself if real search engine operators would bother with a mickey mouse operation like the Golden Spiders. :)

My theory seems valid: panel reads press release on search engines geolocating websites. Panel votes for property websites.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I should have nominated search.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

My, that was worth waiting for.

Assist Ireland wins one of community awards, but wait, they don't even have a website up yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

impr0v wrote:
    My, that was worth waiting for.

Assist Ireland wins one of community awards, but wait, they don't even have a website up yet!

Indeed it was.
    :D

Advertisement