Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System32 Directory

• 16-11-2004 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

For some reason the system32 directory isn't set as a default location area for programs in my command prompt. Anyone got any idea how to set this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

huh? what exactly do you mean by "not set as the default location for programs"??? do you mean that when you type eg cdplayer you don't get it??? sounds like your path is wrong if thats the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

cd "C:\Windows\system32"?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

That was my problem but its actually working now. This had been a problem for months but I hadn't tried it in a while.

Anyone know where this is set anyway? Might come in handy some time.

@kenmc
    What exactly do you mean by "path is wrong" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

The path is the list of directories that the OS will check for executables when you type in a command promopt window.

Under Control Panel==>System==>Advanced==>Environment Variables, Path is one of the system variables. Highlight it and click on edit to modify it.

To see what the default path is from a command prompt type "Set path"

To set the path within the context of a command prompt window (i.e. will not change it at the system level), type:
    "Set path=c:\winnt\system32;c:\myDirectory"

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Thanks Stugots. Thats what I was looking for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement