Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo DS first impressions

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

still trying to decide between this and the psp...

anyway, ive heard all preorders made after the 14th of nov will be shipped after janurary.. is this true?
    if i wanted one of these as soon as possible online, which site is best to order from?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

oooh... mine left Newark at 1.30am.... I can almost taste it...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Damn, I want one.
    *breaks MonkeyFudge's thumbs and steals his DS when it arrives*

Damn, I want one.
    *breaks MonkeyFudge's thumbs and steals his DS when it arrives*
    I'm getting 2 of them. One is for my nephew. Break his tumbs, they're much smaller and easier to break... and afterwards I might not be beaten at Mario Kart : Double Dash quite so often by him...

Lol... Getting beaten at Double Dash by a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Lol... Getting beaten at Double Dash by a kid.
    I get my ass kicked in Soul Caliber by my 8 year old cousin....

Yes. The kids these days are born with analogue controllers in their hands. I had to work my way up from the mean streets of the Vic-20 and the C-64.

But it is funny... I find I get completely over the top when I do beat him, and then someone walks in the room and thinks I'm horrible for not letting him win. I can slaughter all his little friends though... they're all losers.

Stupid 7 year olds....

I can't wait to be able to play Mario Kart wirelessly on the DS, I'll be sure to beat him then...

Get him playing something else then. See how he does at Super Smash Bros Melee or Super Monkey Ball, if you want one of the really good Cube multiplayer games.
    And 7 year olds with ninja gaming skills are soooooooo cute!

Tbh, its the old art of pressing as many buttons as possible.
    Gets me every time.

Well... I'm the best at Super Monkey Ball... that goes without saying... but because I'm much better at it, he never wants to play it.

But I find Super Smash Bros. Melee is a pretty can be a pretty even playing field.

At the moment we're playing through X-men Legends, so that's keeping us occupied... He keeps using Ice-man and hasn't copped that some of the other characters are much better. Rogue is particularly wonderful.

• Advertisement

*brings the thread back (kinda) on topic*
    Wouldn't Super Smash Bros DS rock?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

why yes it would, also wouldnt mind if rare decided to tell microsoft to **** off and then made another Dk and diddy kong racing

Yes....yes it would.

Multiplayer wireless = nyom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

mayordenis wrote:
    why yes it would, also wouldnt mind if rare decided to tell microsoft to **** off and then made another Dk and diddy kong racing

And Perfect Dark! :D

I'm ashamed to say that I'm hoping P.D. 2 will be rubbish just so Xbox don't have the best Perfect Dark game. That is if it ever gets made.

BEST FPS EVER!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

mine left hong kong at 4am their time... not long now (good ol DHL shipping)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

48 hours since I got it, and my opinions haven't changed.

The thumbstrap is terrible.... I just can't hold it comfortably. I'm sure a usable 3rd party thumbstrap will come out eventually.

Playing Mario with the joypad is perfect anyway. Just takes a bit of getting used to (if you're used to the way it was on the N64). Mario has some minigames which uses the features of the DS (a bit like minigames in Warioware or Feel The Magic). Great fun, and lots more games to unlock.

Feel the Magic XY:XX is great stuff. Some of the games are insane. You just want to keep playing to see what the next games are going to be. Newer games since my last post include swimming out of a snakes belly, undressing the girl by timing stylus taps (while trying to keep a fire lit), a DDR style game, picking scorpions off her back, shooting a stampede of bulls... the list goes on. Great game.

Metroid? Meh... too short. I'll read reviews of the full game before buying it.

Still very happy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Grr, dont spoil the different games! :D

Hum, I should get one from between the 20th of december and the 14th of january right? (I know the hope of getting on from the 20th-30th are 0)

These look great tho, cant wait to get my hands on one , one way or another! :D

Grr, knew I shouldnt have cancelled the order that I had set down about 3months ago :(

mp3guy wrote:
    mine left hong kong at 4am their time... not long now (good ol DHL shipping)
    Oh... a race is it?

Mine left Stansted an hour ago... I've decieded to 'work from home' tomorrow morning... just so I don't miss it...

Also.. I just noticed on the FedEx tracking page they've just realised that Ireland isn't in Great Britain.. as it's being saying GB at the end of my delivery address all along... and it upset me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dogg Thang

Well if it's a race then you'll most likely win. DHL from HK is likely to get caught up in customs.

Dogg.

• Advertisement

Dogg Thang wrote:
    Well if it's a race then you'll most likely win. DHL from HK is likely to get caught up in customs.

Dogg.
    Same here... It arrived at Dublin at 8:08am and is now experiencing a "Regulatory Agency Clearance Delay"

Well, my DS's got released for delivery at 7.45 last night... 12 hours they were sitting in customs...!!!

Anyway.. they finally arrived this morning.

I didn't have too much time to mess around with it, as I needed to get to work. But I was very impressed with the quality. I only had a chance to try out the Metroid Prime: First Hunt demo. And the stylus control really works out well.. and I had my doubts about it as I have a touch screen phone with a stylus and it's useless for playing games... But looking around and targeting is easy on the DS... jumping is a little tricky as you have to double tap the screen.... but I'll get used to it... The problem is your left hand (or Right hand, it's fully configurable to suit both leftys and rightys) gets tired after about 5 minutes as your using it to hold the whole DS up, so you kind of need to rest it on your lap.

This problem isn't so bad with the tumb strap, as you can then use your under hand to help prop the DS up. I found the tumb strap works okay, I just wish it wasn't trying to be two things at once as the strap can get annoying.

I have yet to test it out for things like battery life... and I'll have a go at charging it with the SP charger.

Oh.. and another thing... I've got exactly one dead pixel... it's not too bad though it's right up the top of the top screen, I don't think it is worth me making a fuss about... it's certainly nowhere near as annoying as the dead pixel on the centre of the screen on my PowerBook that cost €3,000.. feckin Apple...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

It's unbelievable how much I envy you. Although I'd probably be really angry about the dead pixel. Mine's held up with Lik-Sang.com's lack of units.

I didn't actually notice the dead pixel untill I tried to run a GBA cartridge. It goes bright green for some reason on GBA mode. It's not noticeable at all when I'm running the DS cartridge.

I've just switched the GBA mode to run on the bottom screen.

The GBA graphics look outstanding by the way... so bright and crisp. I tried a bit of Golden Sun on it... the GBA (even the SP) doesn't do justice to the artwork in that game.

It's not all thrills for me though. I got Mario 64, but it's to go with my nephew's DS for christmas, and I just didn't feel right opening it... so I'm just stuck with the Metroid Prime demo.. which takes 10 minutes to complete.

I'll have to order myself Feel the Magic... it does look pretty great...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The dead pixel is coverd by a 1 year warrenty, so you can probably get the unit exchanged when it launches here.

Im very annoyed I didnt put more effort in to getting one on launch...

I take it the charger is definitly just 110V not 110v-240v?

it's 110v I'm afraid... and it's really cute too.. very small and the pins fold out from it.

So you need a step down converter... or you can use the SP charger... which is what I plan on doing... you can pick them up for about €5 in town.

oh.. and that mystery port on the front of the DS next to the headphone socket is for an external microphone. And it's a proper headphone socket too.. not like the stupid one on the SP that you need an adapter for...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

well, got my DS today, it's excellent. Got the hunter demo and mario64. One thing, don't judge the graphics by screenshots you see. The graphics are really sharp

Advertisement