Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for 17 year old - Help

Options
  • 16-11-2004 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Heh guys,

Im 17 and I get my first car on friday 99 Fiat Punto, Problem is I have rang several insurance companies for quotes and most will not quote me. I have got a quote from Quinn direct only so far at 5500 euro which I think is disaster! My dad will let me go under his name but all companies we rang wont give quotes to 17yr old.

Im just wondering if any of you know any companies that do insurance for 17yr old in the range of 5000 (Under my own name) or about 3500 under my dads.

P.S - I only have my priv licence

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Iri$hKeLt wrote:
    Heh guys,

Im 17 and I get my first car on friday 99 Fiat Punto, Problem is I have rang several insurance companies for quotes and most will not quote me. I have got a quote from Quinn direct only so far at 5500 euro which I think is disaster! My dad will let me go under his name but all companies we rang wont give quotes to 17yr old.

Im just wondering if any of you know any companies that do insurance for 17yr old in the range of 5000 (Under my own name) or about 3500 under my dads.

Cheers.

In the insurance companies eyes your an accident waiting to happen.
    17, no previous insurance, provisional licence.
    Your lucky 5500 is all you were quoted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Out of curiosity, why did you get a car before you researched insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

L5 wrote:

How is anyone meant to be able to get on the ladder if they:
    (a) Never had previous insurance
    (b) Have a provisional licence.

Do you end up in a vicious circle, not getting cheap insurance because you're provisional, not getting you licence 'cos you can't practive with no insurance?

It's a joke! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

This should be moved to the humour forum!!!

Its a shame, I know but getting your own insurance is not realistic. Get a few years under your dads name. Keep your nose clean and when you get to your early 20's you will notice a bit of a reduction.. but seriously paying over 5000 is ridiculous... it sounds like its worth more that the car..

interestingly i seen a report on the tv3 news about a drivers ed type thing being introduced to schools. Its only a pilot scheme at the moment, but if this is introduced it should help make us all better drivers from a younger age....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

interestingly i seen a report on the tv3 news about a drivers ed type thing being introduced to schools. Its only a pilot scheme at the moment, but if this is introduced it should help make us all better drivers from a younger age....
    http://www.mondello.ie/latest.php?id=56

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

I was insured just 2 weeks ago with FBD for 3,200 fully comp i fink. They require that you do 10 drivin lessons before they insure you.
    I'm driving a 99 1litre polo it's is insured in my name. Give them a shout and see, hpefully they can help keep me posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

L5 wrote:

This guy is looking for help - he doesnt need comments like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

A$$A$$IN wrote:
    I was insured just 2 weeks ago with FBD for 3,200 fully comp i fink. They require that you do 10 drivin lessons before they insure you.
    I'm driving a 99 1litre polo it's is insured in my name. Give them a shout and see, hpefully they can help keep me posted.

How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

he is being realistic... nothing but facts stated there...
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

Im 18 next week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Fbd are good if you can get with them, in the long term I mean. First year I payed 4609 third party (only company that would insure me below 5k), 2 yrs later I'm paying 1700 fully comp on the same car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Iri$hKeLt wrote:
    Heh guys,

Cheers.
    why dont you hold off for a while get your full license and do the igniton scheme with Hibernian, it wont be anywhere near 5k maybe 2k, you are young so it will be a few months at most but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't think anyone's being rude, just realistic. There is no way you'll get a good quote at 17 with a provisional licence. All you can really do is lessons, try and pass your test, and... well... get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Doing some driving lessons might help depending on the company. Also a method i used to save alot on my insurance was to insure my mother on the car, wait a few weeks then insure myself, saved quiet a few quid doing that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

He's 17, on a prov. licence, gets a car then looks for insurance and is suprised when the only quote he can get is expensive! :rolleyes:

L5 is just telling it the way it is. Young male drivers have always, and will always be screwed when it comes to insurance. In 1986 I bought a 1978 VW Golf 1.1 for £70 :D , my insurance was £1,400 TPFT :mad: . That was a hell of a lot of money then. There are ways of slightly reducing your premium, check out the other insurance related threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

How is anyone meant to be able to get on the ladder if they:
    (a) Never had previous insurance
    (b) Have a provisional licence.

Do you end up in a vicious circle, not getting cheap insurance because you're provisional, not getting you licence 'cos you can't practive with no insurance?

It's a joke! :eek:
    I got my full licence just by taking driving lesson, and the odd spin in parents car. Have it a year now And Axa wont let me be insured under parents name, wtf? some excuse like car to old (99) already has named driver still to young at 21.
    But if your willing to pay a few grand for insurace go for it, do try them adanced driving course etc

Jozi

the adavanced driving course is around 365 euros I did it well worth it.

An idea:

1.) Perserve get your full license

2.) Do the igniton course

3.) Get a decent quote say €2.5K

4.) Do advanced driving course you get an instant 30% of = €750

5.) Put your Mum and Dad on your insurance save about another 10%

It is all about get the first, until then hold onto your money and put it into lessons and advanced driving and then you will be happier in the next year or two.

Have a plan stick to it and save your dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Man, I feel sorry for you.. but you could do what I did and not bother. I'm 27 and never got a license for the simple reason of the extorionate price, especially when you see some of the profits that they make. I've survived ok considering the s*** public transport system we have. I did some maths all those years back and discovered that it was cheaper for me to rent an apartment in the city center to be near work and use public transport and taxis than to pay all the costs associated with a car and driving to work. Plus I didn't have to get taxis in and out of town everytime I wanted to go out for a few drinks.

And the stupid thing is I could now get a provisional license and a car and I wouldn't be quoted near as high a price as you, yet I've no experience at all. You are better off without the headache of having to pay all that money for no reason especially at your age. I'm sure you could survive without a car for a few years, at least until you have your full license. You're young, put that money to having a good time and enjoying life while you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Want a funny comparison:

Me:
    26 yrs old, 1999 Citroen Xsara Coupé, 1.4 petrol, 4 years NCB, full license since Nov 2000, Full Comp

Price: €783

My Mother:
    49 yrs old, 1990 Honda Civic 3 dr, 1.5 petrol, no NCB, no full license, Provisional 1st 1.5 yrs, Full Comp. (Actually hasn't driven in about 10 years!)

Price: less than €400

Crazy man... I'm the more experienced, and my mother just hit a pillar last week! Yet, I have to pay more for the smaller, newer, more reliable car with NCB's and a full license...

This country's insurance policies suck big time!

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Iri$hKeLt

Well Im ****ed, I go to collect my car now Friday.

You think its bad getting a car without looking at cost of insurance I dont even have my priv license yet :rolleyes: but I got my theory now on Saturday.

Sad news is I have to go with Quinn Direct 5483euro to insure me! I think this is brutal but if its what I have to do to get a car on the road :mad:

P.S - Please dont start making posts saying im a mad **** I know I am already :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

first years insurance on provisonal when I was 19 was 4000+1200 for stupid tracking thing with AXA. Had to wait a year + for driving test, passed first time. Stupid money tho. My car cost 1000 by the way. God what a way to blow savings going into 2nd year of college.

If I could have waited I would have gone and done the hiberian thing.

Iri$hKeLt wrote:
    Well Im ****ed, I go to collect my car now Friday.

You think its bad getting a car without looking at cost of insurance I dont even have my priv license yet :rolleyes: but I got my theory now on Saturday.

Sad news is I have to go with Quinn Direct 5483euro to insure me! I think this is brutal but if its what I have to do to get a car on the road :mad:

P.S - Please dont start making posts saying im a mad **** I know I am already :o
    Well best of luck try to take on board some advice as there all a shower of C*nts the insurance people.

Keep safe on the road and get that full license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Hi, I'm cdebru, and I'll be thinking about my posts more carefully from now on unless I want a permanent ban from motors.

I'll be especially careful about transporting flames from one section of boards to another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Whats the mad panic,,, for the car at 17?
    You`ll regret paying the 5300 or whatever it is couple yrs down the road. (Excuse the pun).

Have you thought of how your going to run the car,,, (i assume your at college). You`ll get tired of asking your parents for petrol money, unless your working wkends or something. And have you thought about where next yrs 5000 is going to come from??? Would you save 5000 over the summer?

Why dont you just get insured on your parents for a year,,, book the test now and it`ll take a yr for the test to come roughly. Then at the end of the year you`d have a yrs experience, maybe a full license and you might be even to claim a yrs no claims bonus with some companies.

Just,,, dont hand over 5grand to them bastards! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Hi, I'm Clover, and I'll be thinking about my posts more carefully from now on unless I want a permanent ban from motors.

I'll be especially careful about transporting flames from one setion of boards to another

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why do you need a car? If its for a job; will that job let you repay the 5000 loan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Hi, I'm Newband, and I'll be thinking about my posts more carefully from now on unless I want a permanent ban from motors.

I'll be especially careful about transporting flames from one setion of boards to another :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I remember paying 3500 (€4.5k) Irish punts for my insurance on a punto at 18. It seemed necessary at the time, but it's easier now to be living where I am and driving a bike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i've already payed my 4000 on a 1.2 punto.. lets hope that'll go down significantly by the time i have to renew it next june... hopefully i'll have a full licence by then and the bastards won't make me pay it over 6months!!!! bastards! 4000 over 6months is no easy task!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

ok let me get this right, €5000 to insure the car for a year.

you do realise that is almost €100 a week? and that's just insurance, no tax or petrol money, so really what i'm trying to make sense of is, why would you pay €100+ a week to put a car on the road at age 17? if it was a porshe or a ferrari then okay fair enough i could except the reasoning there, but for a f*cking Punto?

think about it....€100+ a week in your pocket....or a punto.

even if you wanted it for commuting to and from school what's the point, save the money, get the bus and i'm sure you'd still save a load each week, then next summer go on a nice holiday or something.

as people have already mentioned, where will you get the money for next years insurance? trust me when your 21 or 22 and you've been forking out that much money for insurance each year, you'll regret it, add it up over 4-5 years and you won't be far off the €15,000-18,000. think of all the things you could spend that money on!!!

Advertisement