Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for 17 year old - Help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

cdebru, clover, newband - if you've a problem on the forsale board, leave it there. Keep it up and it will be permanent goodbyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

booo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

jester77 wrote:
    I did some maths all those years back and discovered that it was cheaper for me to rent an apartment in the city center to be near work and use public transport and taxis than to pay all the costs associated with a car and driving to work. Plus I didn't have to get taxis in and out of town everytime I wanted to go out for a few drinks.

Very sensible and sound approach, and one that more people should take. The only thing missing from the equation was, as you mention later, some kind of factor to take account of the fact that you will eventually almost certainly have to get a car in the future and will probably suffer financially for your lack of experience at that point. Of course you will theoretically be earning a higher wage at that point and the expense will be relatively easier to afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

ando wrote:
    Fbd are good if you can get with them, in the long term I mean. First year I payed 4609 third party (only company that would insure me below 5k), 2 yrs later I'm paying 1700 fully comp on the same car

FBD would probably also say that Ando, or any safe young male driver, is could if you can get him. "We made 9500 out of him over three years and all we gave him in return were three paper disks, at a cost of 6 cent each."*

It's essentially a stealth tax on the lack of enforcement on the roads, and the bad driver licencing system which means that the cost of the ensuing carnage is paid for predominantly by those statistically less able to prove their innocence.

*(assumes you paid half way between the two figures you mention for the second years insurance, and didn't claim or have a claim made against you!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Borzoi wrote:
    cdebru, clover, newband - if you've a problem on the forsale board, leave it there. Keep it up and it will be permanent goodbyes

**** off so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Borzoi wrote:

ban me i couldn't give a toss

btw 5000 to insure a poxy fiat
    fix it again tomorrow hope you have another 5000 handy for your repair bill only a complete gob****e would ever buy a fiat
    i would have to think long and hard about taking one for nothing

infact i wouldn't bother insuring it it will be very rare it leaves your driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Clover, cdebru

Consider it done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Would You Cosider Getting a small 2 seater Van e.g polo Van of vw golf van etc.

You get commerical insurance,commerical tax and you dont have to do a NCT works out a lot cheaper.
    For My insurance On a fiesta Was Costing me €3400, and i got a fiesta van and it cost me €2,500.
    Im 18 and have a full license.

Advertisement