Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final year electronic\software project ideas?

Options
  • 16-11-2004 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Just starting to look for some ideas for a final year project, im a little ahead of time but no time like the present to start.
    so if anybody has any links to some sites filled full of electronic\software type projects id be glad if you could point me in that direction, more software than hardware preferable!
    or any idead at all.
    This seems to be the hardest part of the project!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭whatalanger

what's electeonics becauses i certainly never heard of that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

your supervisor should be able to provide some ideas if you're stuck. Otherwise find something that interests you. have a look in some magazines, some newsgroups. if you've done work experience maybe that company would have something they need done, that you could do???
    just some idle ramblings....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I have talked to alot of lectures about the dam thing but most of them give me ideas that have been done more than once and involve a little to much hardware for my liking!
    thanks!

hope my spelling is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

don't be afraid of hardware. if you wanna get into any sort of embedded software development (which is what I do, and I wouldn't swap it for application deveopment for the world) you're gonna have to know how to read chipspecs, write to and read from registers, follow a schematic, use a logic analyser etc etc. Besides which it'll help you to write much better, smaller and faster code if you know the nuances of timings etc and how to debug that sort of stuff when all you have to work with can be some LEDs and maybe generate a beep!
    As for ideas I'm afraid that I don't have anything floating around my head at the moment. But I do remember going through the same thing as you way back when I was doing my finals. If you can't think of somehting to do yourself, my advice would be to find the best supervisor you can and do one of their projects. One that you get on well with or like their style - you'll invariably do better with a "good" supervisor and an "average" project topic than the other way around.
    But yeah, it's easy to think that "everything has already been invented"

thanks man for the input, im not worryed about the hardware but its the fact that the last few projects i have had to do for the course i could get the software working but always had problems with the hardware side of things!
    getting a good supervisor always has such a big influnce on the project, wish it didnt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭zt

I work with a software company.

I've an interesting research project that maybe of interest. It doesn't require hardcore electronics or software development and I would expect that somebody internally could do it with about 2 weeks research.

Maybe PM and I'll give you some detail. You might just find it too boring....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

http://www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/projects.html

something i came across before looking for an electronics project. i built the propellor clock myself, but i imagine the mp3 players would make a pretty cool project.

thanks man, was thinking of something along that line "mp3" already using an 8051 or similar processor not a pic tho dont like the dam things at all!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

http://www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/projects.html

something i came across before looking for an electronics project. i built the propellor clock myself, but i imagine the mp3 players would make a pretty cool project.

Hmm that looks very interesting. Did you have any major problems building it? I'd like to try that myself, I'm not sure where I could get the motor, at least one similar to his.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I love that clock, plus all the info to build it? looks like a nice project to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Did you have any major problems building it?
    i did have problems, nothing that couldn't be overcome though. mine didn't work, the LEDs flashed randomly for a millisecond then died, but one of the guys in my class who went on for 3rd yr done it for his diploma project and he got it working. i made the PIC programmer too and it worked sweet. you'll get a motor from a lot of things. i got mine out of an old plotter printer. i didn't think it'd be powerful enough but in the end i had to turn the voltage to it right down 'cos it was spinning too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

What about voice recognition for text messages on mobiles. Use this idea for hands free in a car. The phone can recognise text and read out a text message to a driver. Also allow the driver to reply by maybe saying out the letters for a new text and sending all by voice.
    The technology is there but i havnt seen it used anywhere.

Advertisement