Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nerd Olympics!!!!

Options
  • 16-11-2004 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hey, we all know the gretaness of nerd camp (my title for CTYI for the non-intelligent and close-minded) but has anyone been to the maths olympiad? I want to go this year but is it worth the effort???

Thanks xxx :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bandana

I think I got into that this year :rolleyes: havnt a clue what its about?

By the way is this grainne?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

bandana wrote:
    By the way is this grainne?

Hell yeah Cloudy!!! OMG, you got in??? Me too! Jolly good! See you at the games, chap! Must warn you fellow, I am quite the accomplished mathlete (though i can't spell for ****). My event of choice: toss the equation or the coordinate geometry high jump.

BE AFRAID!!!!... But not too afraid...

What the HELL is it about? Seriously though, all I got out of the only one of my friends was "You get a t shirt" between hysterical laughter when she heard I got in... Oh the appreciation... ;)

Heheh I remember you sayin you were better at maths, tell me did you get into that maths competition in 1st year? I'm not sure if it was only in dublin or if it was a leinster/ireland thing

And sorry if I seem...retarded/exhausted/in SERIOUS need of coke... havnt slept muchos lately and spent the entire afternoon in outpatients, need a little cheerin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

The Maths Olympics is an internation contest between a load of countries. Students (from ireland at least) are chosen based on their JC Honours maths results, amoung other things.

The focus of the competition is to answer some *extremely* abstract difficult mathematically questions. They generally don't require you to learn extra maths, but are instead very difficult problems that can be solved using the maths you learn at JC.

Subjects covered are number theory, geometrey and so forth. 5/6 year students who know differentiation/integeration aren't at an advantage. ( you actually can't use those methods in the exams, they award points depending on *HOW* you did the question, and if you got the answer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

bandana wrote:
    that maths competition in 1st year? I'm not sure if it was only in dublin or if it was a leinster/ireland thing

Was that that Irish Junior Mathematics thing? That was such a waste of time... My teacher made me miss loads of classes to study for it, 'cause I got into the finals. I have since lost any and all aptitude for maths, and float through honours maths in blissful ignorance :D

Yeah the Irish Junior Maths Thingummy sounds about right. I was just wondering cos I ended up 3rd in that, and I think I possibly remember recognising the one who won it in ctyi that year... But then again my memory isn't the best:rolleyes:

Sounds like amazing nerdy fun :eek: thanks for that dalamar :) lookin forward to seein u there smiley knees! (and I never did find that permanent marker again u know)

Anybody else who gets in, post and we can have a whole mini reunion all to ourselves;) hell, it's more than likely that most of the people there will be CTYers!

Hey, don't look at me! I didn't steal your marker. I swear it!
    Yeah, we could have a mini-ctyi reunion, assuming I get on a team. My maths lately have gone to le hell, as the french say. :p

No, i wasn't in the 1st year thing. My school don't tell us anything cool like that. Tiz annoying. And to think, only three people (myself inclusive) have evr gone to CTYI in the history of my school. AND one of them didn't like it (weird).

Oh Cloudy and Emileen, thank you both very much for the helpful lesbian advice. Has come in handy. Am talking to her again, though I also found out that she's been wanting more than friendship for agessssssssssssssssssssss... Dang.. :(
    Has made life plenty uncomfie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Don Accordion

Hrey guys, neone know anything about the chemistry olympiad that's on in DCU sometime? I've been trying to find out about it but obviously the Irish division are completely disorganized (surprise surprise) and I can't find out anything on how tpon enter at all. Oh, as an aside, I'm not going this year but the DCU open day next month would make for an interesting reunion

• Advertisement

Hrey guys, neone know anything about the chemistry olympiad that's on in DCU sometime? I've been trying to find out about it but obviously the Irish division are completely disorganized (surprise surprise) and I can't find out anything on how tpon enter at all. Oh, as an aside, I'm not going this year but the DCU open day next month would make for an interesting reunion

Hmm, I wanted ot do the science one too, but alas. Grr, I hate doing chemistry. It's too big!!! Who knew something like the atom could be so freakin' complex... *mumbles angrily*

DCU open day? I'm going to the one tomorrow (that's Sat 25th Nov). I was thinkin I'd see many a CTYIer's. You'll all recognise me. I'll be the one wandering tearfully around the campus staring wistfully at random places and telling long winded stories about exploding showers that no on else will quite be able to understand... *tear*

I love CTYI... It's really scary how much I adore that place...

Anywayz, enough of the freakyness. Yes.. That *would* make for an interesting reunion. It'd be cool if Sheila was there for some highly unlikely but convenient reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Warning- Maths Olympiad requires giving up much of your precious Saturday mornings and trekking over to UCD... The first exam isn't so bad but the final exam was a bit scary. One of the lecturers is slightly demented and in love with inequalities.

Anyone else in the finals of the ISTA Science Quiz?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was that lecturer Kevin Hutchinson by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lemur option

I made my mathletics team, I made my mathletics team. I'd like to thank all those who supported me through my hours of bordem in honours maths. God my teacher was such a cow. HA ha I called Ms. Olivier Brereton a cow on the internet and there's nothing she can do about it (she thought I liked her class :p ). Yeah so anyway oh my god I like totally watched a show on this and , wait for It its this like totaly cool event where you sit in slience in this big hall a bit like the SATs and you like get a medal if you win and loads of people win medals and you get to make fun of the chinese (I hate chinese love the food though). So count me in for it see ya'll at the Irish MO. PS grace ie god is going to but doesn't want everyone to know and isn't on boards luv ya babe hehe.

Was that lecturer Kevin Hutchinson by any chance?
    I don't know his name. He had unruly white hair and rather unfortunate body odour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Prof. Laffey. My <sarcasm>*FAVOURITE*</scacasm> college lecturer. He talked too much and couldn't explain jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Bill may be in attendance at the Nerd Olympics dealy. I haven't worked out all the logistics yet, but hey, I'm a mathematical prodigy, or so they tell me.

See you there Rory. And smiley knees, although I don't actually recall speaking to you until the reunions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Wait. Nevermind. I'm not able to go this year, but I'm hoping i can go next year based on my last years results.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dalamar wrote:
    Prof. Laffey. My <sarcasm>*FAVOURITE*</scacasm> college lecturer. He talked too much and couldn't explain jack.
    Laffey reminds me of an old priest!

Good grief. Now I know why he seemed so familiar! He's the inspiration for the boring priest on Father Ted!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I;m into the maths olypiad thingy too, so i guess i'll see some of you there, are you (plural, not going to say ye, just got out of that summer habit, picking up on other peoples accents) all going to the UCD one in January, or are some people going to NUI Maynooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 davewcelbridge

Hey Smiley Knees
    I thinks i know you, and you knows me.
    The internet is such a small place.

We were in the final of the ISTA Quiz today in Trinity College, it was tough.
    Some of the Questions were outside the course, and there were some strange definitions that my Biology Teacher didn't even know. We were unable to properly verify where we came in the league of things, suffice to say we were below 20.

We did our best though. We are still Kildare Champions.

Math Olympiad sounds like hard work but fun!

Anyways. Peace out ppl.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

I was in maths olympiad...
    Oh the memories... We were called up on the stage at school at assembly, handed an envelope, and our head teacher said "read this aloud". So my poor friend Aoife ended up reading the announcement of our official nerdiness aloud for everyone to hear without actually quite knowing what she was doing.
    That was definetely not a high point of my life in HCK. AT the olympiad I kept awake by chewing Jolt caffeine energy gum and wondering what I had done to make them think I was good at maths.
    Then we got really lost trying to find a "short cut" off campus and ended up in a wood. Yes, there are woods in UCD.
    And that was when I decided I was never meant for proffesional competitive mathematics.

Hey Smiley Knees
    I thinks i know you, and you knows me.
    The internet is such a small place.
    Dave

Hey Dave!!!
    Woah, Dave Wallace??? Am assuming. How did you know it was me???? The smiley faces on my knees gave it away, right? If you are who I think you are then see you tomorrow at the party!!!

Ah yes Bill, we did only really talk at the reunions. I think I fed you lollies at some point. and I seen you at NUI Maynooth open day. Cool cool! You're like THE only CTYI person i saw on any open day. Even in DCU I knew no one. Although I did see Colin, the New Supreme Overlord of CTYI now that Sheila's leaving.. *sigh*

Emmm, I'm going to Nerd Olympics at NUI :eek: Hate it already...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

hello smileyknees indeed it was me. and you did come to the party. so all was well.

how are the nerd olympics coming along for you?

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

I love how so many people think they got into the maths olympiad when its actually just the 5 best ppl from the lectures that get in. And yes Laffey is horrible and yes giving up your saturdays for this is pretty boring (coming from someone who did it and enjoys maths so pls dont moan at me).

crowl wrote:
    I love how so many people think they got into the maths olympiad when its actually just the 5 best ppl from the lectures that get in.

Duh :p

I think we established that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

crowl wrote:
    I love how so many people think they got into the maths olympiad when its actually just the 5 best ppl from the lectures that get in. And yes Laffey is horrible and yes giving up your saturdays for this is pretty boring (coming from someone who did it and enjoys maths so pls dont moan at me).
    cmon girls ya heard him, quit moanin at the sexy best already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

He said:
    ColHol wrote:
    cmon girls ya heard him, quit moanin at the sexy best already

Advertisement