Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Audi A4

Options
  • 16-11-2004 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

The Audi websites in the UK, Spain and France all have the promotional material on view for the new model A4, and the car seems to be available, for order at least. However Audi Ireland are still calling the current model the 'new A4'.

Presumably it's been held up for a while so that they can come up with some kind of packages to make the price somewhat reasonable when VRT is added. The last car was badly spec'ed in it's base model, relative to some of it's direct competitors, and judging by the Uk site it's more of the same with the new evolution. The prices were allegedly due to increase slightly with the introduction of the new model, so it will be interesting to see what kind of pricing structure they come up with and the base specifications.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

i was lucky enough to sit in one at the paris motorshow a few weeks ago. i'm not entirely convinced by the restyle, but i'm sure it will be popular nonetheless. talking to a salesman at a dealership and they expect prices to rise by about €1000 here. ...interesting to note the 2.0 TDI is priced at about €30,000 in france but near the €40,000 mark here, hammers home how much tax we really do pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

impr0v wrote:
    Presumably it's been held up for a while so that they can come up with some kind of packages to make the price somewhat reasonable when VRT is added

Nah, it just takes a while longer too get a version to market for countries that drive on the wrong side of the road ;)
    jm2k wrote:
    i'm not entirely convinced by the restyle

Neither am I. I remember being much more enthousiastic about all of it's predecessors at the time (all 80's, the first and second generation A4). It only looks like a facelift forcing the new Audi doublemouth front on the nice and stylish second generation A4. A case of borked plastic surgery methinks :(
    jm2k wrote:
    interesting to note the 2.0 TDI is priced at about €30,000 in france but near the €40,000 mark here, hammers home how much tax we really do pay.

Yep see sticky. Combination of VRT and higher VAT. Don't forget that difference doubles to €20k in gross salary for a higher tax rate payer
    :rolleyes:

Called into a garage again today ...price list out for new model: €44,000 for 140BHP 2.0 TDI, that's a huge increase over the current 130BHP 1.9TDI, but related to the higher VRT rate. 115BHP 1.9TDI comes in at €39,000, again a hefty increase. up until now, the "red i" TDI has been the more popular of the two, can't see that continuing with the €5,000 gap between the two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm not really familiar with the new A4, but the cars on the British and Irish sites look the same to me.

http://www.audi.ie/models/a4/a4_go.html

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

dahamsta wrote:
    I'm not really familiar with the new A4, but the cars on the British and Irish sites look the same to me.

http://www.audi.ie/models/a4/a4_go.html

adam

It seems to have changed overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

new A4
    newa4.jpg

Old (2000-2004) A4
    AudiA4.jpg

New Rear End
    a4_5.jpg

Old Rear End
    Audi001.jpg

Bit of a difference, the old one in the pics was my dads up until a few weeks ago, when he got a new car
    Was really fond of the A4, great car, nice looking & decent performance and the new one just got better, some people arent to sure about the front grill but thats the way audi have gone with all their new cars and features on the A6 A3 and now A4, all of which are now the best looking cars in their class imo.

Prices are steep alright although the BMW 320D is priced at 44200 and thats where Audi is aiming to steal customers from so it sounds about right from a comparative sense

Full price list

Personally I like the new grill, especially on the A6, but the rear of the new car, and what seem to be higher sides, don't convince me. It's always quite hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh however.

Looking at that price list you'll pay 40k for a base model with anyway decent power, and even then it's only the 130 bhp 2.0 petrol, before you add any options. That 40k will get you a fairly good spec on a 150bhp Saab 93 1.8t (a 2 litre engine), and a base model 2.5T Volvo S40. To the majority of the car buying public, these marques are the Audi's competitors, rather than the BMW's and Merc's that Audi would rank itself alongside. I think the Audi will always come off third best in a prestige battle with those two, even if it prices itself in the same league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I have to disagree, the Audi is so far ahead of the Saab in regards to styling. Saabs have to be one of the ugliest cars on the road. And when it comes to second hand Audis hold their value where as Saabs go down drastically

a few photos from the show..

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Just had a look at the Irish Audi website, it must have only changed in the past day or two. I wonder why they got rid of the 1.9 TDI 130 BHP and introduced the 2.0 TDI 140BHP? I thought the 1.9 TDI 130BHP would sell better over here with big jump in motor tax at 2.0L?

@jm2k ..some nice pics there. That silver Quattro looks sweet.

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Sweet machines, love the restyle however subtle. The backend is georgous, now to start saving (for about 10years) :)

dcGT wrote:
    Just had a look at the Irish Audi website, it must have only changed in the past day or two. I wonder why they got rid of the 1.9 TDI 130 BHP and introduced the 2.0 TDI 140BHP? I thought the 1.9 TDI 130BHP would sell better over here with big jump in motor tax at 2.0L?

@jm2k ..some nice pics there. That silver Quattro looks sweet.

DC.

Cheers ...it was a great show, I'd been to the London show a few years ago but this was in another league. I had 3 hours there, but I probably would have needed another 3 to see the whole exhibit.

here's a few more photos of cars not out on the Irish market yet...

As for the A4, the 1.9 130 would make far more sense for the Irish market, but the market here is just too small to make it worthwhile for Audi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I think I'll watch this with interest. I was thinking of changing my A3 for a diesel A4 next year. If your average Audi driver is anything like a 5-series owner then I suppose we can expect lots of trade-ins next year, with people swapping for the new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

FX Meister wrote:
    I have to disagree, the Audi is so far ahead of the Saab in regards to styling. Saabs have to be one of the ugliest cars on the road.

Trouble is we Saab owners are fanatical, so would you mind supplying you're address, so we know where to send the lynch mob ;)

Overall I'm unimpressed by the makeover. The two brands compete primarily against BMW I'd have said, with Saab going down the route of alternative, and Audi trying to be a clone

*drool* @ the Aston photo

I was thinking Borzoi would have something to say about the Saab bashing. :D
    I own one too and will be prepared to assist in the lynching if needed.

aodh_rua wrote:
    I think I'll watch this with interest. I was thinking of changing my A3 for a diesel A4 next year. If your average Audi driver is anything like a 5-series owner then I suppose we can expect lots of trade-ins next year, with people swapping for the new model.

Have you thought about the Sportback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sorry, I was being a bit harsh I think. I find Saabs hideous myself, they seem to be always trying to catch up but never quite make it. You're probably right about the Audi coming off last in the prestige battle but I would prefer one to a merc in the same class myself. I would never drive a Saab unless I had too. I worked with a guy that was a saab fanatic too, always had a convertible one and they were quite nice inside them.

Advertisement