Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback needed on site.

Options
  • 16-11-2004 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I made this and i'm looking for feedback on it,

also it anyone has an idea of price to charge,

http://www.davidstokes.com/pro/1/

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It looks rather lost in the middle of my screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

It doesnt say much about your company, and why it might be better than the next one.

Looks like a dodgy American template site complete with clip art.
    Sorry but it realy does :(

And make sure you change your text. Its copied on so many sites.
    I am sure its only filler text for the design at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Figment wrote:
    It doesnt say much about your company, and why it might be better than the next one.

Looks like a dodgy American template site complete with clip art.
    Sorry but it realy does :(

Theres no clipart in this design, what makes you say that?

i will change the text,

Why do you say it's dodgy? and american?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

NeVeR wrote:
    Theres no clipart in this design, what makes you say that?

i will change the text,

Why do you say it's dodgy? and american?

american would probably be the dollar signs all over the place.

The clipart would have to be that lass at the top right. she looks sort of like stock footage. (sorry! whoever you are!)

IMO: the paint pots look too cartoony for the overall image. Also, the way the two seperate pictures of pc cases seem to slant in different directions breaks up the site. If you could have more symmetry between the two images it would lend a more uniform feel to things.

the site does look a little bit lost at higher resolutions and I find the text a little bit hard on the eyes.

From the "Company Name" I am assuming you have designed this as a template. TBH, it looks like one, ie: a generic page rather than one made for a specific purpose.

just my €.02

• Advertisement

What he said.
    However i do remember you posting earlier sites for feedback NeVeR and your design skills are improving with each version. Keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I love those randomly inserted human faces on websites.

they're even more fun on 3d architectural thingies... saw one of the UGC when it was proposed complete with a little nurse getting mugged by a guy in a balaclava around the side :)

Wonder what it takes to become a smiley face person....

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

NeVeR wrote:
    I made this and i'm looking for feedback on it,

also it anyone has an idea of price to charge,

http://www.davidstokes.com/pro/1/

thanks,

Went to take a look - PC nearly fell asleep!! So ran it through a download checker -

This web page took 61.821 seconds to completely download
    (tested with a speed of 40 kilobits per second (kbps) which is the average speed with a 56kbps modem).
    Some download errors occured.
    The size of the page with all its elements was 306182 bytes.

300K ????? I take it you're aiming for T1/Broadband viewers and leaving out us poor 56k modem lot?

thanks for the feedback

the images are all bought from istockphoto.com not clipart,

it is just a template. it;s not for anyone yet,

I will be remaking all the images into gif as alot of ppl said it takes ages to download.

1 thing i dont see it the size, i have my pc set to 1024x768 and it looks fine, what size are you guys looking at it ?

• Advertisement

NeVeR wrote:
    I will be remaking all the images into gif as alot of ppl said it takes ages to download.

Only use gif when the image suits it. Gif compression on the wrong type of image could result in a bigger file then jpg.
    Works the other way as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

it needs a main focal point, a large image or something, its 'too high' on the screen, so a large spread of content would suit it better, also I'd agree that it looks rather on the template side of things, although i'm sure its not, and i am sure u did design this, sometimes looking for that clean look ends up like a template, so be sure to add some sort of unique navigation, its got potential, but ssssppprrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaadddddd it out!

NeVeR wrote:

1 thing i dont see it the size, i have my pc set to 1024x768 and it looks fine, what size are you guys looking at it ?

1280 x 1024

I added some stuff, and change then to gif.

how do i check the size and time it takes to download

heres a new link http://www.davidstokes.com/pro/1/index2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

the main issue i see NeVer is that with that amount of text added (the new link you gave) the hosting options are pushed down off the page...i'd assume these purchasing options are pretty central to the site so their positioning should be paramount. Perhaps they could go above the body text?

i'll try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

LoLth wrote:
    1280 x 1024
    ditto.

title = Untitled Document = made in Dreamweaver and not changed yet :)

ditto.

title = Untitled Document = made in Dreamweaver and not changed yet :)

it's untitled because it's not for any person yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

NeVeR wrote:
    it's untitled because it's not for any person yet,
    I'm not saying it as a bad thing, it's just sometimes people forget and I was pointing it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

LoLth wrote:
    1280 x 1024

I think you know most sites are designed for 800 * 600 plus. It's not the designers fault some people push up their resolution cos they can.

If the site looks small then what do you expect?

• Advertisement

NeVeR wrote:
    I added some stuff, and change then to gif.

how do i check the size and time it takes to download

heres a new link http://www.davidstokes.com/pro/1/index2.htm
    That's even slower than the first one :D

To test speed, try http://www.siteconfidence.co.uk/company/speedtest.php. A handy little site

The HTML doesn't validate:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.davidstokes.com%2Fpro%2F1%2Findex2.htm

It looks like so many other hosting templates, but maybe that's what you wanted to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I love those randomly inserted human faces on websites.
    ha yeah they crack me up everytime! there is one picture that i must of seen about a dozen times by now for some reason i notice it.

If its a business site you can gety awa with using a template, its not original but will do.I think at the moment your site is stuck in the mire of mediocricy.

If you really want to make a deadly site learn flash and all that jazz! that is the only way to get attention and lure people in. Look at sites like: www.marthastewart.com - The bold coluring and use of original pictures holds your attention
    www.spiketv.com - is also very good I think and remember 70% of the top ten websites use Flash

buddy wrote:
    I think you know most sites are designed for 800 * 600 plus. It's not the designers fault some people push up their resolution cos they can.

If the site looks small then what do you expect?

1. yes most sites are designed for 800*600 , however in my experience I have found that very, very few people actually use 800*600.

2. It's not pushed up "because I can" it's pushed up to accomodate some software I need for work. same happens quite a few people. (also check the default resolution on a TFT. I think you'll find it a tad above 800*600).

3. feedback was requested. Feedback was given. My criticism wasnt negative, I was simply informing the author that it looked lost on my monitor. I am hoping that sort of feedback actually helps. Maybe he *wants* it to look good at my resolution in particular? :)

Superman wrote:
    If you really want to make a deadly site learn flash and all that jazz! that is the only way to get attention and lure people in.
    I would disagree.
    Flash can be a good way of enhancing a design, but a good design does not have to have Flash.

On the subject of Flash, take a look at http://www.2advanced.com

Its initial splash screen says it all - Flash plugin and Broadband required...!

Advertisement