Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physical pain-worst?

• 16-11-2004 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Just as a matter of interest, what would you say was the worst physical pain you have ever experienced?

I have had vivid nightmares of having another KIDNEY STONE, which was such indescribable agony that I can't even begin ... to describe it.
    Suffice to say that I would rather give birth to triplets with no pain relief, daily for the next 10 years rather than go through that sort of pain ever ever again,YES it was THAT bad.

I later read that it is one of the worst pains known to mankind - worse that broken bones, gunshot wounds or open heart surgery.

I have informed husband that he is to smother me instantly with whatever is available if I should ever get another attack - I honestly don't think I could live through that sort of pain again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Having the side of an ingrown toenail removed. The doc that does it for me uses a local anesthetic that doens't quite numb the thing totally.

I guess it doesn't help that I watch as he plays with the scalpel in there, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

toothache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

period pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Having the side of an ingrown toenail removed. The doc that does it for me uses a local anesthetic that doens't quite numb the thing totally.

This should not have been the case.

Around 10years ago I used to suffer constantly from ingrown toenails. I had a regular chiropodist who I went to and never suffered any amount of pain which caused me any great discomfort. However, one day I had to attend another chiropodist as my regular one was unavailable. That day I nearly passed out from the pain as she was highly incompetent and had not numbed my toe correctly. From your post I would suggest that you find another doctor or better still went to a chiropodist for foot related disorders.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I read a book of medical short stories by a surgeon ( think it was 'Confessions of a Knife' by Richard Selzer (?) ).

Anyway, he described the pain of kidney stone (and other stones) as 'exquisite'. I think he rated it as highly as you do.

Read somewhere else that some relief is possible by standing on head (or inverting body some other way!).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

apparently passing a kidney stone before they could break them up in your kidneys with ultrasound etc was the most painful thing possible. especially for guys who have much further for the stone to travel.
    like trying to piss out a small lump of gravel or something.
    ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Seraphina wrote:
    apparently passing a kidney stone before they could break them up in your kidneys with ultrasound etc was the most painful thing possible. especially for guys who have much further for the stone to travel.
    like trying to piss out a small lump of gravel or something.
    ouch.

Your sig is pathetic Seraphina :confused:
    Worst pain I can remember is a really bad ear ache. Also I kicked a wall full force in my bare feet once....wouldnt advise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I got a pitch fork though my foot once god damn that hurt less than 1" down and i would of lost a toe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I slipped a disc in my back and when it was at it's worst the pain from sciatica in my left leg from it nudging my spinal cord was nothing less than sensational. Particularily when getting put in traction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Having your eye filled with gas to repair a detatched retina, that hurts like hell for weeks. and the whole side of your head does be throbbing constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

despite having knocked all types of chunks out of myself over the years nearly cutting off a finger and being beaten half to death amongst other things i still have to say that the worst is a good solid kick in the knackers :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

off to After Hours
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Stomach ulcers were majorly painful as was a migraine headache that I had last year, I definitely felt worse with the migraine than with the ulcers but the pain of the ulcers may have been worse.
    I would say I have a pretty high pain threshold with 3 piercings and a large tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Nightshiftguy

Shattered knee cap from crashing my motorbike the night before my rugby trial for leinster........ Don;t know what was worse the knee cap or the fact that my career was over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

Id have to say tearing a hamstring is the worst ive ever experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Nightshiftguy

Been there done that need to get it done again on the other side... Really not a pretty experiance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I had an apces (sp?) in my tooth once and it was extremely painful.

Ankle ligament pain is quite bad too.

Oh and neck pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Breaking my middle toe (don't ask).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

DapperGent wrote:
    I slipped a disc in my back and when it was at it's worst the pain from sciatica in my left leg from it nudging my spinal cord was nothing less than sensational. Particularily when getting put in traction.

Ditto. I have suffered from sciatica for approx 10 years. I slipped a disc lifting weights. I've been to doctors, orthopedic surgeon, Chiropractic, physiotherapy and a faith healer to no avail. I still suffer with it. Tis a cúnt.

I gotta go back to pysio to start again. This may lead to an epidural and if this does not help surgery will be the last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Here are my top 3. I would put up with the first 2 for a week before rather than have a stomach bug like that for 10 mins.

3. Having a varuca burned off.

2. Leg cramps in both legs in a swimming pool.

1. Stomach ache. Had a 12 hour bug and it felt like I'd been shot. At one stage for twenty minutes i was curled up in a ball on the bathroom floor. My nuts retracted inside me! Excruciating is the only word that can describe it. I did't know that a bug could be that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DJPJ

Being scared of the dentist so much that you let an abcess infection get so bad that eventually you needed a full bottle of whiskey to drown out the pain and actually lie down (not sleep!) for a while.

Then going to the dentist next day (extremely hungover, and in extreme pain!) and finding that the infection was so bad that eight injections couldn't numb the nerves. So when the dentist said he'd have to prescribe medication and wait a few days if the next set of injections had no effect, I lied and felt everything..

Haven't missed a dental appointment since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For sudden "OH HOLY CHRIST" pain, I have to say that simultaneously breaking and dislocating a kneecap is about the worst I've experienced. Subsequently dislocating the same knee is also suddenly painful, but not as bad.

I had thought that was the worst until I had a 3-day migraine earlier this year. Having never experienced a headache remotely close to this, I couldn't beleive that such a thing could possibly exist, and that some poor souls actually suffer from them on a regular basis. It wasn't as bad as the knee, but the constant intensity and length of it means that its wins the award of "Thing I never want to have to experience again".

It did teach me that going out and getting locked, failing to drink any water the next day, and going out and getting locked again does not do your brain any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

DJPJ wrote:
    Being scared of the dentist so much that you let an abcess infection get so bad that eventually you needed a full bottle of whiskey to drown out the pain and actually lie down (not sleep!) for a while.

Then going to the dentist next day (extremely hungover, and in extreme pain!) and finding that the infection was so bad that eight injections couldn't numb the nerves. So when the dentist said he'd have to prescribe medication and wait a few days if the next set of injections had no effect, I lied and felt everything..

Haven't missed a dental appointment since!

Ouchy!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Imposter wrote:
    Breaking my middle toe (don't ask).

What, you've only 3 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Wisdom teeth were pretty bad, at the time I wanted to punch things alot out of frustration/pain. I feel pity for all you though. Except for WWM whose is on a par with my pathetic pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

A spinal tap. It's my first memory, I think I was two. The fact that I can still remember it and the pain must say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

The worst pain I ever felt was "afterpains" which you get after giving birth (as if the labour pains weren't bad enough). I believe its the uterus shrinking back to its original size. I can honestly say the pain was 5 times as bad as the labour pains (which were v strong too) and thought I was going to pass out with the pain. The midwife said it was unusual for the pains to be so extreme but I'll never forget that pain as long as I live.

Another pain I'll never forget is the time I had an abces in my ear. I had to ring the doctor at 4 in the morning it was so bad. I thought my ear was going to explode! I think I remember him saying it had burst when he arrived. I had no painkillers in the house and think I was raving a bit with the pain.

Last but not least is a gastric bug. The stomach cramps are unreal. Like Linoge I was curled up witht he pain. I can honestly say they were in the same category as labour pains.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Snapping my arm twice, (being knocked down)

that was ****ing sore....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

A girl once told me that she valued me too much as a friend to sleep with me.
    That really hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I awoke to the sound of my own screams after a groin operation when I was younger. They had to knock me back out, the pain was that bad. I nearly brought the house down. Took about a week for the pain to subside properly. Any muscle in my body I moved seemed to effect the problem area.. I never ever want to feel pain like that again.. :(

Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ditto on the kidney stone. i think i've had three at this stage. first two got lithotripsy and passed the last one.
    suprisingly enough passing them wasn't sore but good jesus the pain before it is indescribable. lasts for hours and can knock you out its so bad. not me though, i'm tough and stayed alert for it. grrr.

pregnancy, pffft. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

not exactly the same, but once I was so heartbroken that it hurt physically. Felt like someone had actually ripped my heart and was stamping on the remains of it with hobnailed boots. And that for good measure they filled my lungs and brain with lead. It was the worst feeling ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

been hit with a golf club just above the eye!!! very very long story dont ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

5 Shoulder dislocations in a 2 year period, all were very painful, then the operation during which they repeatedly, 2-3 times, dis and relocate the shoulder before re-constructing it, so the after pains from that operation were imense.

Also while playing a hurling match, im a goalkeeper, there was a guy bearing down on goal and as I moved out to block him down he shot full force from 6 yards in front of me ad I got the sliothar in the side of my jaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Being sick for 7+ hrs straight on a flight to Boston - 7hrs straight of wretching. I was so bad I had to be helped off the plane in a wheelchair after, & the muscles around my abdomen were seized for two days after....

::: ven0mous :::

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

gerire wrote:
    Also while playing a hurling match, im a goalkeeper, there was a guy bearing down on goal and as I moved out to block him down he shot full force from 6 yards in front of me ad I got the sliothar in the side of my jaw
    That reminds me. Similar situation ball comes flying across the goal. Full forward flicks the hurl to try and divert the ball and it flicks my kneecap instead which decides to relocate itself about an inch further up my leg than it should have been and then fall back into place as soon as that foot hits the ground. Very painful (but the big toe was more painful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

when i had the inside lining of my stomach torn

not very nice, had me in intensive care for a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Hmmm... Dislocating my knee on a trampoline and then having to immediately relocate it by smacking it off the ground (and I didn't get it on the first whack) was pretty bad. Amazing what adrenaline can do though, mostly in the case of "OH HOLY CHRIST!" pain, as Seamus nicely put it!

I later learned after an x-ray that either a ligament or a tendon (whichever connects muscle to bone) got torn at the same time and pulled a clasp of bone off my shin. Nice!

In terms of stomach pain / period pain, anyone who's suffered *bad* irritable bowel syndrome will know it's something not to be messed with. I'm a guy, so I can't speak about period pain experience, but a friend of mine has had to deal with both and she said the pains are quite similar (in terms of severity).

I actually passed out wrapped around a lamppost in Las Vegas (Not drunk! I was under-age! :)) from the pain.

But yeah, apart from all that, apparently kidney stones are top of the list of pain-o-tude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

blood clot in my lung which I ignored for a month and led to the lining of my lung to rip apart. Very sore, worse than dislocating my knee, tearing ligaments, breaking any of the numerous bones I did or sitting through ryan tubirdy's talk show. OUCH!

deathfunk wrote:
    In terms of stomach pain / period pain, anyone who's suffered *bad* irritable bowel syndrome will know it's something not to be messed with. I'm a guy, so I can't speak about period pain experience, but a friend of mine has had to deal with both and she said the pains are quite similar (in terms of severity).

yes, yes they are, it actaully made me sick. horrible. couldn't move, thought i had a lump, christ it was sore, sick and scary,nothing makes it go away completely, the drugs do just enough to make a slight dent in the total ick-ow factor- never want to feeel that again. Its like being repeatedly kicked by a hippo in the whole stomach/bowel area, and period cramps are like getting kicked in the back(for me anyway).

That said I'd still have emotional pain taking a physical appearence is worse cause its the worst of both worlds. I'd take the IBS, and period cramps together, for a month before i'd take a minute of how crap it feels when your heart is broken!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Just to make you al feel great i thought i'd say i've never experienced any great pain in my 18 years of life on this planet, no broken bones, torn ligaments, serious tooth ailments, p*ssing lumps of hard matter, connnecting with solid objects at high speed, or (shock horror) period pains..... that would be confusing..... just wondering if i'm part of a very small minority here...??? biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got stabbed... which didn't really hurt all that much... I was too busy trying to ensure my survival to worry about any pain...

but when I got to the hospital and the surgeon had to put his finger inside the open wound to check if any of the internal organs were damaged... that hurt alot!! And it was such an unpleasent feeling too.. having someones finger groping around under your ribs...

Just to make you al feel great i thought i'd say i've never experienced any great pain in my 18 years of life on this planet, no broken bones, torn ligaments, serious tooth ailments, p*ssing lumps of hard matter, connnecting with solid objects at high speed, or (shock horror) period pains..... that would be confusing..... just wondering if i'm part of a very small minority here...??? biggrin.gif
    i got through my first 18 years like you have been, beware the new year, but then it went downhill. 19 sucks. 20 is ok, lets see what joy 21 has to bring (though i hear its all downhll from here!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

For the last couple of months I've had nerves in my shoulders occasionally going crazy. Every now and then I can barely lift my arm out 90 degrees before sharp, agonizing pain shoots in and I have to let it drop. Pinched nerve, perhaps? I haven't been stabbed before, but I imagine quite strongly that it would feel a bit like what I go through when it happens. I'm very grateful it happens very infrequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i stood on a glass when i was younger that someone left on the floor. glass went right up me foot and had to get it removed.
    a good mate of mine was impaled by a forklift. he lost his right index finger, most of his right lung and 3 ribs. i'd imagine that was quite painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i got through my first 18 years like you have been, beware the new year, but then it went downhill. 19 sucks. 20 is ok, lets see what joy 21 has to bring (though i hear its all downhll from here!)
    oh god after 21 everything is downhill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Walking on a piece of lego with no shoes or socks on!!!
    Now that's pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bananayoghurt

TinCool wrote:
    What, you've only 3 ?

there is a middle toe you know, no thumbs down there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

The_B_Man wrote:
    a good mate of mine was impaled by a forklift. he lost his right index finger, most of his right lung and 3 ribs. i'd imagine that was quite painful.

Probably not that much when it happened actually, the body shakes out a lot of endorphins when it is confronted with major trauma, the after effects were no doubt sore but if he had felt the FULL pain as it happened he probably would have died of a heart attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Having a nearly double spontaneous pnuemothorax (collapsed lung) from getting out of bed, its like having a heart attack, scared the **** out of me, you cant breath and the pain is unreal, then when you get to the hospital the doctor deliberately punctures your lung to fix it, painfull........*shiver*

• Advertisement
Advertisement