Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physical pain-worst?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pleurisy. That was like being impaled in through right ribs and out right shoulder.

The english language needs a new word. It's the word that describes the feeling you get in the short time after a horrendous pain goes, and it no longer hurts, but you can still remember what it was like. It's a combination of relief, but that's tempered with wariness, and dread that it will return, but euphora that it's gone.

I can't believe, considering mankind's relationship to pain, that that word doesn't exist yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

I would have thought getting a whack in the nutz would have ranked up here as being very painfull!ok its only for a short period of time but by god its paralising!

Anywho, got thousands of manowar jelly stings round my arm when i was younger and the pain was horrid!fecking thing wrapped itself around my arm!it swelled up twice the size!probably why im terrified of the things ever since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Astro1996 wrote:
    Having a nearly double spontaneous pnuemothorax (collapsed lung) from getting out of bed, its like having a heart attack, scared the **** out of me, you cant breath and the pain is unreal, then when you get to the hospital the doctor deliberately punctures your lung to fix it, painfull........*shiver*

Had to get the old lung puncture aswell. Nasty! very painfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

in growing toe nail, or twisting the tube on your testicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My old dentist gave me a filling without anastetic, when I was 9. that was worse than breaking my arm or tearing a ligament.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Being Kiceked in balls is the 2nd worst pain in the world behind being kicked in the balls and bursting a testicle. Thankfully the 2nd part hasnt happened to me. Enough said

Patrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The injections that you get into the bottom of your toes that numbs your toes so you can get an ingrown toenail removed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Burst appendix was so unbelieveably excruciating. I whited out from that pain.

Also, tonsillectomy and having to eat dry, sharp foods like branflakes and dry toast (the jelly and ice cream is a myth) was pretty awful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Probably not that much when it happened actually, the body shakes out a lot of endorphins when it is confronted with major trauma, the after effects were no doubt sore but if he had felt the FULL pain as it happened he probably would have died of a heart attack.

Let's see if it hurts you to have a rusty object be forced through you, yeah ok it probably wasn't an ouchy pain but I can't imagine the sensation being that nice can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

As for pains I don't think I've really had any major ones, I split boiling water down my leg and that hurt but nothing really saying...actually I tell a lie I slipped on some stairs once and knocked my back so hard my lungs felt like lead and I could only breath in but not out that was more scary than painful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Blisterman wrote:
    My old dentist gave me a filling without anastetic, when I was 9. that was worse than breaking my arm or tearing a ligament.

Jesus, do we have to same dentist or something? That happened to me too ages ago. I must have been about the same age. Now I can't even hear a normal drill without getting that shiver thing.

Apart from that I'm pretty much the same as fade_to_grey, never broken a bone, never did any serious muscle or ligament damage, never even had to get stitches. But believe me they're all on top of my to do list. Along with get a bad hangover (which I never seem to get no matter how much I drink and how badly smashed I get teh night before. A dry mouth is pretty much the extent of it usually)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The worst pain i've ever felt,would have to be when a de-fat fryer fell on top of me (Boiling hot grease)when i was 11 or so.....the really bad part was when two weeks later i took the bandages off in the hospital.....blisters all over my leg and foot,and they burst them with a needle :eek: .

O yeah I stayed awake for it too :cool: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I had appendicitis when I was around 12/13 and it wasn't diagnosed in time, so it burst. I passed out from that pain.
    That gave me peritonitis which had to be treated by jamming a big syringe into me under local anaesthetic where they were jabbing. That was also quite horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭johntf008

Have to agree on the old burst appendix scenario there, never felt anything like it. The on-tap moprhine button I got afterwards nearly made it worthwhile though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

probably tearing ligaments i my leg or when i nearly sliced off my finger with a razorr. ow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Tusky wrote:
    Your sig is pathetic Seraphina :confused:

its a line from a Nightwish song. quit yo whinin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

hmm, either period pain, lads ye really don't know how lucky ye are, or dislocating my hip...well re-locating it was kinda sore...

anyway...currently most recent painful pain :D would be in my behind, where in college impatient to get out of a lecture from the row in which i had been sitting-had a tutorial to get to -and there were ppl yapping and standing around talking on the other side, so i jumped over the desk to go to the row below which was clear to walk out, only when i jumped over i also brought down the folded seat with my ass and have a rather painful and large bruise, which im reminded of everytime i sit down...woo attractiveness...however in comparison to toothaches, migranes, and passing kidney stones it pales in comparison...but i still got a sore ass... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Looking up at a gigantic inflatable banana the wrong way, gave me a bad neck for a week.. couldnt move without pain.

Scar tissue moving around or doing something a year or so after a kidney operation. Nearly passed out with the pain, although it only lasted about half a second.

It involves a tube and a tiny robot/camera/somethingorother (exam for another kidney operation)....and going "up". Not through the rear.... the other way "up"....with no anaesthetic.... I mightve only been 2 or 3 at the time but sweet **** it hurt.. Set off every nerve within a 3cm radius of it... :eek: Worse than a kick in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

either period pain, lads ye really don't know how lucky ye are

Ahem. You've never been kicked in the sack, so don't even try it, female.

My worst was probably a weird pain I got in my ears while flying into Florida a couple of years ago, it was unbearable, I was nearly crying (and I have a pretty good pain tolerance).

A relation of mine got post-herpetic neuralgia (pain caused by nerve damage after shingles) - apparently it is THE worst pain known to man (because it's actually the nerves themselves that are damaged). It was quite disturbing to watch her scream in pain, with nothing to be done (painkillers don't really work either).

Or Hitting your baby toe off a doorstopper,man they cause nothing but pain :/

I can remember one time when i went to kick my friend,i caught a crap while my leg was in mid-air all i could do was stand on one leg with other leg in the air (open to alot of kicks to the two twins down there) it was really painful,but it was also funny...........for everyone else :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Had the whole spinal tap thing. Horrible.

Have to agree with getting kicked in the stones, thats up there, especially when the kick is at an angle and a testicle gets compressed between your leg and the assailants foot.

To paraphrase Budd: "Aint nobody badass after a kick in the stones"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

A nicely placed kick on the asshole is a real killer aswell, lasts for days if carried out correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Bessacadia wrote:
    I have informed husband that he is to smother me instantly with whatever is available if I should ever get another attack

Just wondering, does he ask three times every day if you are having an attack? :p

Worst pain for me was getting my nipple pierced, thought that only lasts for about 10 seconds. That or toothache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

Just wondering, does he ask three times every day if you are having an attack? :p

Worst pain for me was getting my nipple pierced, thought that only lasts for about 10 seconds. That or toothache.

Hahahaha :D I'd like to think hubby quite likes me!

Had both my nipples done, pushed out 3 babies, had a stomach ulcer, sciatica, and numerous other ailments which cause pain, but NOTHING compares to the agony of a kidney stone.....relentless, agonising pain,which a shot of morphine at the hospital only dulled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Pyr0 wrote:
    I can remember one time when i went to kick my friend,i caught a crap while my leg was in mid-air all i could do was stand on one leg with other leg in the air (open to alot of kicks to the two twins down there) it was really painful,but it was also funny...........for everyone else :).

please tell me you meant "cramp"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I think my worst experience with pain was when I broke my spine.
    It happened when the front-right wheel of a Merc E class drove right over me.

7 weeks bedrest, it sucked. Lucky I wasnt paralysed.

Good thing I was lying back up, had I been belly up I woulda been crushed to death.

And no im not taking the piss, happened me 12th December 2003. 1 year on and im back to normal, playing sport, swimming, living it up! :D

-Edit- Spelling error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Fuppin Merc drivers think they own the road.

I had a piece of wire metal embedded an inch deep into my ankle, arrow straight, while strimming the neighbours garden. Don't put metal wire into a strimmer, it doesn't work!
    The pain wasn't too bad when it happened, I walked home. When leaving casualty though (Navan) the curious lack of crutches being offered made me ask would I be needing them. Nurse said "No, it should be fine to walk on". It was a bit painful when I walk out to the car. When the drugs wore off .... Oh Sweet Jeebus! I quickly commissioned at set of crutches.

The instant when you tear a ligament is quite nasty aswell. I've done that several times ... thank you basketball.

That's about the worst of it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Had appendicitis Christmas 1998...
    Got it the day of our school holidays, severe cramps all day during school, went home, curled up in bed all evening in pain, couldn't lie straight. The doctor came & said nothing was wrong, but if the pain got worse, go to the hospital. Of course right after he left, the pain got seriously worse, I had to hobble downstairs and get my dad to take me to the hospital.
    Just made it into Emergency when I collapsed, woke up on a stretcher & couldn't stop puking from the pain. They operated the next day, thankfully they got it just in time, so the appendix didn't burst-- from the pain of it, it felt like it was repeatedly exploding. Of course I thought that was the end, pain over..They kept me in til December 23rd, and my throat was inflamed from the breathing tube so I couldn't eat anything all that time, it hurt like a mother to even swallow water. I just about managed to eat Christmas dinner, but it was damn painful! Couldn't walk upright for weeks incase the staples tore open. Funnily enough, when I went to get the staples out, there was a girl infront of me who was getting staples taken out too. She went in, and was screaming the place down, I was absolutely shítting it...then I went it, and the nurse just plucked them out no problem, didn't hurt at all... Some people just have no tolerance for pain ;)

Had my wisdom teeth out 2 years ago (just the top two, haven't gotten the bottom two....yet!). Jesus that was an ordeal! The injections were fine, didn't hurt too much, but it took the dentist nearly 45mins to physically pull the teeth out of my gums with the pliers...I could hear the gums being ripped & feel the blood pooling in my throat, seriously unpleasant. My lips were all bruised afterwards too, looked like I'd been punched repeatedly in the face. Once the anasthetic wore off, my mouth has never been in so much pain, and the salt water gurgling is just foul. Couldn't put anything into my mouth without excruciating pain from the exposed nerves. I used to like the dentist before that.. :cool:

Rozabeez wrote:
    please tell me you meant "cramp"?

Hahaha...yeah sorry cramp

Take in mind,I typed it late at night...just like this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Little finger in car door, knee on desk and foreskin in zipper are all serious based on the level of actual damage done.

Being hit in the thigh by a piece of timber thrown up by a car as it sped past was certainly "novel".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Raz wrote:
    I had a piece of wire metal embedded an inch deep into my ankle, arrow straight, while strimming the neighbours garden. Don't put metal wire into a strimmer, it doesn't work!
    Lol, do we expect to see your name here anytime soon? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I've damaged myself by
    1 ) breaking Right arm, multiple break
    2 ) Standing a board with a nice nail sticking up, straight through my foot (nail popped up through top of foot) :eek:
    3 ) fractured skull when hit by a swing
    4 ) dislocated big toe, playing soccer on beach with no shoes
    5 ) been stung by a weaver fish
    6 ) broken ribs and sprained hips after a car crash
    7 ) Broke left leg and ankle in building site accident
    8 ) dislocated right ankle falling downstairs
    9 ) got a part of car cd player jammed behind left knee cap as result of car crash
    10) Had a car drive over my foot.
    11) had dentist to a filling without anesthetic
    12) Broke 3 toes after hitting a wall with no shoes on.

worse pain: breaking ribs/hips, couldn't sneeze, cough, laugh, f*rt, stand up / sit down, go to the loo or do much else without pain. Also, got a friendly punch in the ribs by a friend, right on the broken ribs, from a mate, just as I was telling her about the crash. That was sore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Remind me to stay away from you. You're a disaster zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Getting a stick embedded in my forehead. I was four, and I can still remember the agony... I still have the scar,too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

shattering my hip playing rugby , that was horrible. it was never the same again.

it makes a funny clicking sound when i walk now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

jaysus bogger77 ever thought of buying urself some good luck charms..yea damaging of ribs is no fun...don't remember the whole farting thing, but i remember having sum wacky tabky to take away the pain, and then getting the giggles...that was evil...anyway seriously, maybe get urself a rabit's foot, or a 4 leaf clover or something... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Memory of intense pain:

At the age of four my dad used cycle me to school.
    Being the curious child that I was, I decided to see what would happen if I stuck my foot in the quickly rotating wheel of my dad's bike
    Needless to say, the results weren't pretty.

Oh, and I lost a mitten too *sniffle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

Not exactly the worst physical pain I have been in, but deffo the greatest shock factor was shooting a nail into my hand with a nailgun. The realisation of what just happened and the instant swelling of tissue arround the nail was a defining moment!

Worst physical pain would be a toss up between a slipped disk and a rootcanal infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I have to say that the most painful thing was back in august when I fell down the Attic stairs and caught my wedding ring on one if the metal struts.
    I nearly degloved. Not a pleasent experience at all I definately would not recommend it.

As it happens I was damn lucky surgeon told me I was a 1/4 of an inch from having my finger amputated.

Anyway this was it on one of the better days...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

I had my whole belly ripped open and had my womb taken out and a baby removed nice and health then the cleaned my womb out stiched it up put it back in and then stiched me up 288 internal stiches and 12 staples. then a foot long tube was incerted into my tummy so my womb would drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

seamus wrote:
    Lol, do we expect to see your name here anytime soon? ;)
    If it's the last thing I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Blisterman wrote:
    Remind me to stay away from you. You're a disaster zone.

no one whose been with me when this incidents occured were injured. Took me 27yrs to build up that record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Tippex wrote:
    I have to say that the most painful thing was back in august when I fell down the Attic stairs and caught my wedding ring on one if the metal struts.
    I nearly degloved. Not a pleasent experience at all I definately would not recommend it.

As it happens I was damn lucky surgeon told me I was a 1/4 of an inch from having my finger amputated.

Anyway this was it on one of the better days...
    The finger isn't too disgusting; the greenish-yellow bandages in the background, however.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I kick in the nuts, really really does hurt. And when people just graze your nuts messing, the pain doesnt kick in for about 5 seconds. Your wondering "Did that hit my..." and then your on the floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Sex the first time heeheehee!

No seriously in one year I managed to break my arm, get the mumps and got hit in the head with a wooden brick. Doesn't sound so bad until you take into account that I was only three. Going to playschool with a plastercast and bleeding all over my bosco t shirt from a head wound was fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 angel_delight

i've never been physically hurt too badly either (sorry for rubbing it in) but i think emotional is the worst. definitely. one of my best friends got with my ex...i think thats probably as worse as it gets. fecking women....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Probably getting a half brick chucked at me, hit me in the head just on my right eyebrow, it flew a good 10 yards before conencting too, I was about 7 or 8 at the time, and somehow managed to stay conscious enough to run back home leaving a nice red trail behind me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

You know, reading through all your replies, Im convinced that none of you have suffered real *I WANT TO DIE RIGHT NOW* pain except maybe anyone with toothache.... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Cornering too fast on a gravel road on my bike (ok I'll admit scooter :o ), bike goes over, I scrape along road for 20-30 ft wearing Bermuda shorts and a T-shirt and luckily helmet. The accident didn't hurt. Only broke one arm and rib - but bleeding like stuck pig. Just got on my bike and drove home. Cleaned up my wounds.

The real pain was when the infections set-in. And especially the daily visit to the health-centre where the nurse squeezed as much puss as she could out of each wound. It was 4 weeks worth of serious pain - 6 months before it ceased to hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 visualphotoarts

Toothache here too

I had one out yesterday. The build up to it was like

"Right it's here isn't it? Maybe not tmight go away"

- but it didn't and it keeps on increasing surely and steadily and it's kind of cool that it does it slowly because you have time to adjust to the fact that you going to HAVE to go the dentist - normally it wouldn't cross my mind to visit one.

On that subject at 3 in the morning I tried to convince myself that the pain was a positive feeling and not a negative one - couldn't fool myself. Might be possible tho. Not with a shagged tooth. No mercy coming forth from there.

I haven't ever felt real sustained pain apart from that - fortunate so far - may it stay where it is

• Advertisement
Advertisement