Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair - Wheelchair levy

• 17-11-2004 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I just went to book a Ryaniar flight that supposedly costs 1.99 but then when ALL the charges (taxes, PSC, airport duties, credit card handling fees, wheelchair levies etc etc etc....) then total comes to about 45 euro.
    My question : wasnt the wheelchair levy imposed as a temporary charge sometime last year? And that they werent going to 'profit' from charging everyone for it? Have they made any mention of it since? Wonder how much this extra tax has raked in for them??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

mobpd wrote:
    Wonder how much this extra tax has raked in for them??

I don't think they're using it to make money: they can make money by plenty of other means. They're doing it to make a political point to the tiny minority of airports that fail to provide free wheelchairs.

Be fair to Ryanair: it's a commercial enterprise- not Trocaire. You've admitted the flight cost you just 1.99. Wouldn't it be ridiculous if Ryanair had to spend 20 euros wheeling you to the departure gate? That's why the levy is there. And the charge - in any event - only applies to passengers who do not need a wheelchair everyday, but for whom the walk to the departure gate is too strenuous. (Ryanair has always absorbed the cost for regular wheelchair users.)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

You've admitted the flight cost you just 1.99

but the flight is costing me 45 euro - i hate this tactic of Ryanair's to split every element of the total cost - I dont go into the newsagent and buy a loaf of bread for 90c then get to the checkout and they add vat. And Ryanair (and ticket agencies) should absorb the cost of the cost of the credit card fee into the base price - its not as if you can pay by cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

mobpd wrote:
    And Ryanair (and ticket agencies) should absorb the cost of the cost of the credit card fee into the base price - its not as if you can pay by cash!

That's a very valid point. Well observed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

45 euros for a flight and still you moan :rolleyes: A taxi from dublins southside to the airport costs €20 in each direction. Stop complaining, a few years ago a flight to the UK would have cost 2-300 punts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Ryanair DO NOT MAKE MONEY OFF THE AEROPORT CHARGES!

The vast bulk of the €40 you are paying is going straight to Aer Rianta.

Ryanair makes €1.99 + probably a small % of the cc surcharge (50 cent or so at maximum).

Besides do you actually know how much it costs to fly?
    That businessman sitting beside you on the flight who bought his ticket that morning is PAYING FOR you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

€45 for a return flight and there is still moaning

Please provide a breakdown of the cost and where you think the money is going

The only gripe I have with Ryanair pricing policy is the credit card fee which is charged per person per single trip when Ryanair only pay a small % of the booking price to Visa or Mastercard. A family of 4 paying by credit card for a return trip will pay €20 in credit card fees which is way way over what it would cost Ryanair in fees. For this reason I use a Debit card (the only time I would use a Debit card for internet purchases).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

you can buy tickets with cash at a ryanair ticket desk in any airport they fly to/from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

but the flight is costing me 45 euro - i hate this tactic of Ryanair's to split every element of the total cost

I like this policy of ryanairs. Its totally transparent - you know exactly what your paying for. I think the main reason they do it like this is a political one - its to make it very plain to the ordinary joe how much they pay in airport taxes and government duties. As a consequence, they hope to put pressure on the airport authorities and european govt.s to reduce their take.
    nd Ryanair (and ticket agencies) should absorb the cost of the cost of the credit card fee into the base price - its not as if you can pay by cash!
    Well, its not an option for us here, but the brits can pay with a debit card and avoid the higher fee. The credit card charge does seem to be a little padded, but lets face it, they have to make a few euro somewhere.
    I dont go into the newsagent and buy a loaf of bread for 90c then get to the checkout and they add vat.
    Maybe we wouldnt be concerned about the loaf of bread, but there are still a good few sectors of irish trade where it would be really interesting to see a breakdown of their prices - revealing the fat profits they are making.

45 euros for a flight and still you moan

i'm not moaning about the actual cost - agreed 45 euro is a good price to get to manchester BUT it is very misleading for them still to advertise in block flashing letters that flights are availble for 1.99 with the teeny small print 'plus charges'. Sure, there's still people who fall for it at work who repeat this claim to everyone - when then checking to book online they still usually get as far as the 2nd page where Ryanair still havent made reference to the exorbitant credit card fee. Ryanair charge this per passenger, per flight - whereas the bank will only ever charge per transaction.....
    you can buy tickets with cash at a ryanair ticket desk in any airport they fly to/from
    but they you have to pay the 'regular' fare ie no web offer - so they catch you that way

Further to the wheelchair levy, on Ryanair website they say that free wheelchair access is provided by many airports:
    and at over 80 of these airports the airport operator provides the disabled assistance through its terminal buildings on a free of charge basis
    yet Ryanair deem it necessary to ask EVERY passenger to pay the levy irrespective of the airport they are flying to / from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

mobpd wrote:
    i'm not moaning about the actual cost - agreed 45 euro is a good price to get to manchester BUT it is very misleading for them still to advertise in block flashing letters that flights are availble for 1.99 with the teeny small print 'plus charges'. Sure, there's still people who fall for it at work who repeat this claim to everyone - when then checking to book online they still usually get as far as the 2nd page where Ryanair still havent made reference to the exorbitant credit card fee. Ryanair charge this per passenger, per flight - whereas the bank will only ever charge per transaction.....

Yeah, OK they're not perfect but I think everybody knows the score at this stage.
    If you play by Ryanairs (sometimes bizzare) rules you are on a winner.
    If not, they tend to screw you.

Personally, I love the way I can decide to goto Sweden for the weekend in (in 6 weeks time) for 40 yo-yo's. Class.

• Advertisement

€45 return to Manchester is not a good price, it is a bloody fantastic price :eek:

€45 return to Manchester is not a good price, it is a bloody fantastic price

is not Return but SINGLE.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

If you don't like Ryanair, fly another airline, pay the high fares. Your choice. 24 million passengers have voted with their bums. Ryanair is obviously doing something right, otherwise people wouldn't fly with them.

Ahhhh - a single fare. Try Aer Lingus, they don't charge for the levy.

Try Aer Lingus, they don't charge for the levy.

you-re right - Aer Lingus are indeed cheaper still to fly to Manchester and Liverpool than Ryanair at the weekends. Ryanair seem to be a HIGH FARES Airline if you want to go Friday come back Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

mobpd wrote:
    you-re right - Aer Lingus are indeed cheaper still to fly to Manchester and Liverpool than Ryanair at the weekends. Ryanair seem to be a HIGH FARES Airline if you want to go Friday come back Sunday.
    Subscribe to ryanair's news letter to get a heads up when special offers are comming

mobpd wrote:

I check both when I am booking. Ryanair can be expensive for peak time last minute flights but so can Aer Lingus.

I booked 2 flights last night with Ryanair for my folks to come over to Glasgow. €74 return (Thursday - Sunday). Aer Lingus was €87 but the flight times were not as good. The Friday - Sunday flights were €105 (Ryanair) and €117 (Aer Lingus).

I would never just check one airlines price.

Advertisement