Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing a Radeon 9800 Pro?

Options
  • 17-11-2004 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi,

I have no idea what I'm at. Not a clue. Never overclocked anything in my life. Flashed a BIOS once, apart from that never flashed anything in my life (criminal record to the contrary, but that was a fit-up I swear!)

So anyhow, I've a 9800 Pro atm, like a fool I got that thinking it was better than a 9800XT. Now I know better, but I've heard good things about "Flashing" the card. TBH I don't even know what that means in actual terms; is it just the same as overclocking? Does it require tinkering with the actual hardware? Will I need a fan? Will I need high-tech NASA cooling compound and a cryogenic freezing unit? Can someone plz explain this to me in the standard vernacular?

Thanks for any help,
    Z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Rite first of, have have to have a r360 core and a certain brand of memory, can be checked by taking of the heatsink and checking the chip and looking for the ram chip on the pcb. While you have the hs of you should replace it with a better cooler, artic vga silencer being popular, to take the increase in heat produced by the higher clock speeds.
    Then go here read up on what to look for and then how to flash the card, get all the bits and pieces, print what you need and get working on it.
    Enjoy

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

heh i love how the first person to tell him how to flash it into an XT has in his sig "9800pro flashed to XT (Broke)" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Hehe. If there's really that much danger of it melting, I don't think I'll bother. Thanks anyway. All I want is to get Half-Life 2 looking sexy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

HL2 will look sexy on a pro. No need to flash it to an XT. It seems to really eat ram though. When it's loading new scenes mine jerks for a few secs afterwards when i change weapons ect as it's loading them back into the memory. Looks like I need t to upgrade to 1.5 gigs.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

ViperVenoM wrote:
    heh i love how the first person to tell him how to flash it into an XT has in his sig "9800pro flashed to XT (Broke)" :D
    And i was going to change it just so it wouldn't come up!
    To be honest i dont think it broke cause i overclocked it, i could have pushed it a whole lot more.

Jozi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

BloodBath wrote:
    HL2 will look sexy on a pro. No need to flash it to an XT. It seems to really eat ram though. When it's loading new scenes mine jerks for a few secs afterwards when i change weapons ect as it's loading them back into the memory. Looks like I need t to upgrade to 1.5 gigs.

BloodBath

I get the same thing Blood. But its not a lack of ram is cause of it doing this stupid auto save. Check the next time it does this big jerk and then go into options and click on load game. You will c a screen shot of the place where you just had a big jerk in the game.

Wish i knew how to turn this auto save off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yeah I was hearing about the auto save but I dunno why it wipes the gun mdels from the memory. It's annoying to have to switch between all the guns again to get them loaded back into the memory.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

BloodBath wrote:
    Yeah I was hearing about the auto save but I dunno why it wipes the gun mdels from the memory. It's annoying to have to switch between all the guns again to get them loaded back into the memory.

BloodBath

Hmm well i dont have that problem just the jerky saving going on during game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

jozi wrote:
    And i was going to change it just so it wouldn't come up!
    To be honest i dont think it broke cause i overclocked it, i could have pushed it a whole lot more.

Jozi

hehe :p

yeh i get the auto save jerk too, dont appear to jerk loading the weaps back in tho :confused:

Advertisement