Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting hammered by eircom

Options
  • 17-11-2004 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Anyone getting hammered by 159.134.118.145 .

159.134.118.145 PTR record: openrelaytester.eircom.net. [TTL 86400s] [A=159.134.118.145]

This is happening every 10sec.
    Ran an open relay test and I have no open relays. So why are they constantly scanning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

.. to check for... open relays maybe?

I know, I know.. that's way out there, but just maybe..

It's no harm at all, you can ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

he said "hammered"? implying they're scanning quite often?
    presumably on port 25, or else there wouldnt be much point... :P

side note: is it not slightly ironic that EIRCOM are scanning their CUSTOMERS for open relays?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 aoifejane

Igy wrote:
    side note: is it not slightly ironic that EIRCOM are scanning their CUSTOMERS for open relays?
    Why so? I thiink they had to do something, as customers open relays were getting them blacklisted? or am i missing something
    aj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I think Igy slightly misunderstood why Eircom were scanning for open relays. They don't scan you to take advantage of your open relays, they scan them so you'll close them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I had the same thing happen to me a few months back and I mentioned it in this thread.

I haven't noticed anything from them since.

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

Igy wrote:
    he said "hammered"? implying they're scanning quite often?
    presumably on port 25, or else there wouldnt be much point... :P

Its not quite often.

It is constantly, how about 13000 times in the last 24 hours.

You would think they would know by now, if there was an open relay or not.

Serbian wrote:
    I think Igy slightly misunderstood why Eircom were scanning for open relays. They don't scan you to take advantage of your open relays, they scan them so you'll close them.
    Actually i meant that in the not too didtant past eircom were well known for having mail servers that accepted mail from pretty much anywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Maybe they want to push you over your quota and bill you some extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rarchbold

Hi Shadow-Lord,

If you'd like to post/send me the IP address of the server being checked to frequently I'll gladly look into it for you. I've also sent you a private message with my contact details if you wish to discuss this further.

Regards,

Richard.

Advertisement