Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helpful guys working in Dublin pub toilets

• 04-09-2001 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

I can't help noticing that when you go to some self-proclaimed superpub/club in Dublin these days (like Buskers, Zanzibar, Turk's Head, and plenty other ****holes), there's usually a guy by the sinks in the men's toilets (and a girl in the women's toilets) who's terribly keen on giving you soap and paper towels and maybe spraying some aftershave on you. I gather the idea is that you're supposed to tip him.

A couple of points need to be made here. Firstly, I'm don't recall washing my hands in a Dublin pub a few years back and thinking "Damn, I wish there was someone here to dry them for me. Because I can't possibly do it myself". I think most of us managed on our own. So it seems like these guys are fulfilling a need that never really existed.

Secondly, all these toilet guys are black. And they seem to be mostly recent immigrants. Now either that means that there's no white people out there that would consider doing this work, which I doubt, or it means that nobody ever thought of having some guy stand in the bog all night handing in a nice white shirt trying to dry your hands for you and generally act like he's a servant and you're a bigshot before somebody thought of having a bunch of black guys doing it. So it seems likely to me that there wouldn't be anyone doing this unless there was a ready supply of not-well-off black people to do it. Perhaps there's a lot of poor white people doing this kind of work in pubs around the country (there are in hotels, I'll get back to that in a sec), but I haven't seen them.

So what does that tell us? Do the owners of these pubs think we enjoy this? Maybe people do get a thrill out of it. Maybe we like the idea of poor and/or black people serving us in the least possibly desirable environment for them. Maybe it gives me the feeling of being in an upmarket, posh establishment, which makes me, the client, a high-roller and something of a big-shot.

But these places, it must be emphasised, are not bright, shiny hotel toilets. They are nasty, smelly, places, populated by drunks who tend to want to shake hands with you after coming out of a toilet stall without flushing.

Anway. I'd just like to know whether any of you have noticed the same thing, whether you know any more about it (how do you get one of these jobs? Is there an agency or something? Anyone ever applied for one?), or just what you think.

And I'll finish off by describing a conversation I had with a colleague in work about it. He was telling me about the (black) guy who works in the toilets in Buskers. "He stands by the door out to the main pub and dances along to the music", he said. "He's really up for it, just wants to have a good time, and you should see the tips he gets. The guy makes a fortune. 'Course, the fella in Zanzibar is lucky to get a few pence".
    "Why's that?" I asked.
    "Cos he doesn't dance".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not sure what to make of it - the whole providing a service -v- exploitation thing.

I wouldn't mind and would probably use it if
    (a) I could know the guy was making minimum wage
    (b) a proper service was provided, i.e. soap and paper have to be provided - this is a reflection on the establishment not the staff, pub toilets are an 'after-thought'
    (c) there was a set of 'rules' as to how to use such a service - it's all quite an awkward affair at the moment.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's pretty dense - like the owners of places like that care about 'service', they just want your money. It seems to be standard practice on the Continent - even in McDonalds in Berlin there was some old dear in the bit just outside the bog with towels and stuff.

I think at this stage of my exsistence I can wash my own hands so I just ignore all bog 'assistants' as it were smile.gif Ridiculous idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    I think at this stage of my exsistence I can wash my own hands so I just ignore all bog 'assistants' as it were smile.gif
    </font>

Same here.

I only ever leave a "tip" if I use some aftershave... and I usually only use the aftershave if they have my usual brand ...

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 05-09-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

They have one of those guys in the toilets in Frazers...

Makes me feel very uncomfortable actualy...
    I'm not quite sure why, but I don't particularily like to be "Pampered" as it were...

Maybe I'd make a bad rich dude...

But the toilets in Frazers SUCK!
    they are flippin' tiny! And we have to share them with the ****ers upstairs too!
    Basically both club areas have only one dingy little toilet between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Yeah, it's actually in Cuba in Galway also. I remember there a few months back (actualy twas my 21st) we were all in Cuba. I was the first to go to the jax that night, and there was this refugee standin there waiting for me to finish. While I was washing my hands I couldn't help but notice the fine array of soaps and aftershaves that were on the counter top. I was tempted to disctract the guy so I could run off with some of this ****, ah but what can ya do, lol. He gave me a paper towel, and I just looked at him and took it. Attempted to dry my hands with this thing. But that didn't work, so over I went to the automatic handdryer (while maintaining eye contact with him), and finished the drying process there. Twas funny.

Later in the night we went up stairs and the same thing in the club. But these guys were making a fortune. They had little baskets that were full of pound coins and I swear I've seen a five pound note in there once or twice. *FUkkin BIgshots*

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Lots of you guys seems to be hung up on the fact that these lads may be black? What difference does taht make?

Anyway, he's there earning a crust, so if I ever use his assistance, I throw a pound or 50p (whatever's in my pocket) into the basket and wish him good night.

You don't have to use his assistance, so where's the problem?

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

It's quite obvious these dudes can't get better work, so if you use the service, then tip them what you can. If not, then don't and don't feel guilty... when I'm out on the ****, I'd rake up at least 8 pints anyway, never mind ****tails, shorts etc...etc.. now that for me, means quite a few ****es during the course of the night, and unfortunately I can't afford a quid every time I need a wazz... so I just tell the dude, and it's cool.

I had a great laugh with one of those dudes who was a drummer... itwas in Eamon Dorans, and every time I went in we'd start playing drums on the counter... he was deadly. Anyway, that's beside the point. If you want to use it then do, if not, then don't. It's no big deal, whether they're white, black or any race, they're doing the only job they probably can.

Fink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    Lots of you guys seems to be hung up on the fact that these lads may be black? What difference does taht make?</font>

Weeel... I think what the guys are saying is that the whole situation has overtones of privilege and status which they don't feel comfortable with, as it is. Having a black man attending adds overtones of colonialism or even slavery. It just intensifies the embarrassment factor by throwing in a little white guilt as well.

I'm conflicted about this. I find it acquired and embarrassing when there's a bathroom attendant, men's toilets - all I have experience of - are generally a haven of looking straight ahead and not catching stranger's eyes. There's none of the chatting by the mirror and fixing your make-up of women's toilets. Having to interact with a stranger in that confined space is generally unwelcome.

At the same time, I wouldn't begrudge anyone a job. They're earning a crust, they're providing a service. If you don't like it, don't use it. I doubt the majority of toilet attendants will be offended.

Point I'm trying to make is that; toilet attendants are probably here to stay and within three years we'll all probably be quite used to them.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    You don't have to use his assistance, so where's the problem?</font>

It's the blackmail - he's often the only source of either paper towels or as I saw in Spain toilet paper (strictly rationed).

Now, I don't have a problem with a concierged toilet (as I saw in Belgium), where is it say 10p to use the toilet, but you are guaranteed they are clean and safe.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    It's pretty dense - like the owners of places like that care about 'service', they just want your money.</font>

It would be much easier to get my money if they provided adequate toilets.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh, i dont know, theres something nice about a big black man giving me a 'hand' in the mens loos. and i only have to pay him a pound....

a bargin at twice the price i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

hmmmm. they used to have one down switch but he's been got rid of. they do inject an odd atmosphere into the proceedings though...
    guy used to do it down switch was forever talking to people about patriotism and asking us if we would die for our country, sacrifice ourselves for the common good.. it all passed over most peoples heads since peoplegenerally go to the jacks in switch to do drugs, buy drugs, sell drugs, talk about drugs etc. its the only non oven like space in the club apart from the girls jacks and you geet in trouble if you go in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What is with the Black crap? They have had the guys in the toilets for years. Certainly over 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    What is with the Black crap? They have had the guys in the toilets for years. Certainly over 3 years ago. </font>

There's no way they've been in toilets for the last 3 years, not in Dublin anyway. I've only really noticed them in toilets here over the last year. In fact i was quite taken aback the first time i saw one. It was the first time i'd seen this type of thing here and i was quite surprised. Apart from the fact that i think it's degrading and totally unnecessary, it is quite annoying to have this guy stand over you as you wash your hands and then force their wares upon you. You can't help but feel obliged to give them something. It's expensive enough to go out in Dublin without having to pay a £1 everytime you take a leak. I think i gave money to one guy after he began spraying me with some crap, and that was to get him to stop. Since then i've just flat out refused to give them anything.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

In the Palace in Dublin, the guys actually go so far as to switch off the electric hand driers in the hope that you'll ask for some of the paper.

I don't feel comfortable with the scenario at all: I want to wash my hands but no, this guy has a different agenda, he wants to put liquid soap on my hand and hand me paper to dry my hands.

After spending £3.10 on every watered-down pint of cat ****, I hardly have the wallet to give this guy a pound simply for doing something which I feel is both unnecessary and demeaning for the person in question.

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I hate those blokes in the toilets.

Every time I have to take a leak (which, after about 5-6 pints is quite often!), I feel obliged to tip some guy just 'cos he hands me a paper towel. :rolleyes: ... and you can't give him 10pence either 'cos that's seems just cheap - but for a paper towel... like - c'mon!

... plus I'm not that keen on having someone sitting there in the toilets watching me taking a leak (I just can't go that well when someone is looking - which is incredibly embarrassing too when someone is standing there next to you).

Kill 'em all, I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Encountered one of them the other night, meself- in the Clifton Court Hotel... huge big black guy built like a brick sh*thouse ... should have been on the door really, except he'd probably have scared off half the potential patrons...

Ended up paying him about £1.30 for squirting cheapo hand soap into my hand, running the tap for me, and handing me what can only be described as a lump of toilet paper to dry myself off with.

I reckon they take all the non £1 coins out of the wee tip tray so that it looks like everyone is giving them pounds and you feel like a bollix giving them any less.
    Originally posted by Doc:

Kill 'em all, I say.

Ride the lightning, I say. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

They had one of those lads in brown thomas last year. he was white though. But its rediculous. Next thing u kno u'll b tipping some dude to wipe ur arse and hold ur cock for u. Let a man excrete, sanitise and dry himself. All jokes,racism and discrimination aside i'd hardly call their service essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i think that his job is to guard all the lovely toiletries that are racked up beside the sink cause if those guys werent there, those nice smelling toiletries would be gone in an instant, pilferred by all the drunks that visit the place.

on a serious side though, if you want to use the service do it, if not, then dont. i dont except to pay anyone to wash my hands and i never will.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭scutchy

I have a simple solution: Don't p!ss on your hands in the first place ;)

(I find it strange that the word c*cktail is censored here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Originally posted by scutchy
    I have a simple solution: Don't p!ss on your hands in the first place ;)

Ah but its not the piddle that you are cleaning your hands of its bacteria.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_220.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Toast

Ah but its not the piddle that you are cleaning your hands of its bacteria.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_220.html

hmm, like to think my once a month cleaning leaves my penis fresh for up to 30 days.......
    are you insinuating that we dont have clean willies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 m|nty

Originally posted by scutchy
    I find it strange that the word c*cktail is censored here)

"c0cktail" , oh dear

Dublin 'pubs' and Dublin 'people' are snobby d|cks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yaaay, Minty's starting a fight!

anyway, the Glenroyal, that tip of an excuse for a flea-ridden dive (especially their one room-wooden-square-no-lights-barn-of-a-night-club) has a guy in the bogs as well. I usually just ignore them but the guy in the mercantile actually reaches across you to turn on the tap before you can reach it!

I refuse to tip for a service I neither want nor need.

as for the black thing, it's not the fact that there's a black guy working in the toilets that gets my attention.. it's the fact that in *every* one I've been in that has had a guy working there, htat worker has been black. Seems a rather unbalanced distribution there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I agree with Kharn, think off all the money you're speanding in the pub and then pissing it down the toilet. Well why not throw 50p or a pound in to yer mans basket

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hmm... some simple maths...

Lets say I need to go after every 1.5 pints, give £1 each time, and pay £3.15 for each pint: that means I spend an average of 0.75 per pint on this guy, or to put it another way, each pint will cost me £3.90.

I ignore the guy up until the end of the night, when I then tip. But not every time, no chance, I'm annoyed with paying £3+ a pint up here without the real cost being ~ £4!

Then again, I'm still poor as fsck, maybe when I've money I'll be more generous, but tbh I think those guys are raking it in from us anyway.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

It can be nice idea, to get a dab of aftershave etc, from a toilet attendant. Also another reason he is there is as a deterrent.

I've been in pubs where a trip to the loo, involves turning down various illegal substances (or not), or where the places are graffeti wrecked, or vomit strewn.

Now just having this guy standing there, deters many of these activities, and means if the loos are messed up, action is taken.

I hate standing in a puddle of pi$$, in the toilets. It makes me wish that my £3 fecking pound a pint could buy me a nice toilet area to use. I suppose if it means having to fork a quid more out to some chap who's going to stand in the jacks all night .. rather him than me!

Also I personally tip the guy once, not every time i have a slash.

X

Advertisement