Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many driving tests before you passed?

Options
  • 17-11-2004 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

just wondering how many times did people have to do the full licence driving test (not the theory) before they got their licence....thought it would be interesting.

How many attempts before you got your licence 51 votes

passed first time
    0% 0 votes
    second time
    50% 26 votes
    third time
    35% 18 votes
    fourth time
    11% 6 votes
    more than four
    0% 0 votes
    On a provisional
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

3 times. Twice in Dublin (Rathgar/Braemore) and the successful one in Longford. I found Longford less stressful to drive in - not as many traffic lights, less lanes and shorter routes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Passed second time. Didn't agree with result of my first test. The same tester failed most of my friends first time also :confused:
    My second tester mentioned he was harsh on young drivers and extremly grumpy.
    Passed with flying colours 3 months later :D
    Never did my theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

1st time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Failed my car test the first time. It was pure inexperience. I was annoyed at the time, cos I thought I was great but when I passed it some 6 months later, I had realised why I failed the first time.

Failed my bike test the first time. Half of it was that I'd only been on the school bike for the drive from ISM to the test centre, and wasn't sure of it. The other half was that I hadn't been practicing some of the concepts, i.e. safety glance, road position on turns.

We'll see how the second one goes, should be soon enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Passed second time.

The first one for some reason I did in Naas and failed the tester was grumpy old and took me down a street with barely enough room to get the car through because of cars parked on both sides, then part failed me because of not leaving enough room.

The second time was only 2 months later in march 98. After a letter from work ,in Orwell Testing centre the tester was a nice younger guy and we even had a bit of banter. I passed after what seemed to be a very short test.

Anyway I also did my motorcycle test in 2001 and passed this 1st time in the Tallaght Test centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Passed first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Twice, the first time I was only on the road about 10 days and failed by fcuking up the turnabout. Passed about 6 weeks later in friday afternoon traffic. Both times in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I was also marked down the first time for using my rear view mirror! I was driving a van and you're supposed to use the door mirrors because of the probability of a load in the back obstructing your view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Passed first time, applied for the test as soon as i turned 17 and got my provisional, came up about 6 months later and passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

1st time.

• Advertisement

Hehe. Methinks those that passed first time are more willing to vote in this poll that those who didn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

krinpit wrote:
    Hehe. Methinks those that passed first time are more willing to vote in this poll that those who didn't ;)

LOL reckon yur right there..... Personally I passed first time. Did it in Killarney and was a piece of piss with the exception of a minor whoopsie on a roundabout but i think I was let off cos the examiner was distracting me with chit chat.... personally I reckon I'd have had problems passing had I taken the test in say Dublin which is why I have sympathy for city slickers cos it's gotta be harder there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Failed my first one by messing up a roundabout ( was driving about 3 weeks ) so that was a red tick and and 3 green ticks overall. Fair enough i messed up so i accepted it. Was annoying when he said 'you would have passed only for that', was sure i was gonna pass my test after only driving 3 weeks lol.

4 weeks later my next test, just as i drive outta the test centre there is a child on the footpath, walking along the edge of it, i move out a little but dont slow down, red tick cause it was dangerous(tbh it probably was), that was my ONLY mark on that test so it was annoying.

Its been 4 weeks since that, so im gonna relax for another week or two maybe then apply again and get it before christmas at least. All in waterford btw.

_sheep wrote:
    4 weeks later my next test
    Its been 4 weeks since that, ... get it before christmas at least.
    Slightly off topic; how are you getting your tests so quickly? Most poor blighters around the country have to wait months between tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Passed it first time. tbh was lucky, got the easier ot the two examiners. tipped the kerb doin the 3 point turn nd all, he just said that it was prob just nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

1st.

God knows how.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

car: first time, though i was nervous as hell as i'd only driven the car i did the test in for an hour before the test (it was a 1l yaris, i was used to a 1.6 carina estate)
    Bike: I'll know in about 17 weeks if i will get it first go.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭f1refox

1st Time 23years ago omg I feel old typing this.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

krinpit wrote:
    Slightly off topic; how are you getting your tests so quickly? Most poor blighters around the country have to wait months between tests.

Ummm, i need it for work... urgently, ya thats it ...... ;)emot-coal.gif;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Passed 1st time, a couple of weeks after my 18th birthday.

Back in the day, my mother picked up her provisional on her 17th birthday, applied for her test then and there and was fully licensed within two weeks. God bless modern bureaucracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

i passed both the car and bike test first time

and yes i am smug about it.

Advertisement